Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 08:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
No I am not judging I am stating facts. I have been doing this for many years. Most people are great. I have dealt with most families from infant stage until preschool. The majority of people that have come through my doors are still in touch with me and some of them have babies of their own. I had one mother who wouldn't even come through the door. She would slide her kids through the door like she was mailing a letter and mumble that she had meetings. This mother never ever checked on her kids but the Dad was great and I had this family for five years.
Another was the coldest human being I have ever met. She too never even checked on her kids in five years that I cared for their two children.

One mother had instructions for me while on maternity leave and that although the baby was with me all day those instructions were that she needed her rest and I was not to contact her even in an emergency. So not judging just stating facts.

I had two instances with my own family emergencies...one my brother was killed in an accident and we got the call while at pick-up time and most people said "what can we do" but there was one set of parents who said well "you did not provide in your contract for this and we need day care tomorrow" and continued to harass us and went as far as trying to report me to the state anonymously.

Second instance was a couple of years ago my mother died. All parents were notified and this was on a weekend. We were gathered at my parents home and as they were removing my Mom's body my cell phone went off. It was a day care parent...I explained that they were removing my Mother and could I call her back. She said NO it couldn't wait. It went like this..."OH gee sorry about your Mom but you know that recipe you gave me? Is it vanilla paste or vanilla extract in that" . Again not judging...fact.

I told you what I make a day .... A second child is half price. I work hard for my money as I should. I do this mostly because I love the kids and that is my priority.
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but this statement " There are a lot of people who cannot possibly put their kids first and that is sad" is pretty judgy. You don't know that.

You've said what you make a day, but you haven't said if that's per child, or how it's calculated. I understand that good day care is not cheap, and never complained about what I had to pay.

Having worked in a doctor's office, I understand these examples you posted of thoughtless people. It happens there too. It happens to teachers. Any time you are dealing with the public, it happens.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:15 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,746,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
What gets me is people who complain that daycare is too expensive. If there is ONE THING I'm willing to overspend on, it's the people entrusted with the safety and well-being of my child.

When my kids were in daycare, I regularly brought in cookies and various treats, nice Christmas gifts and once in a while surprised them by having pizzas delivered.
It is nice to be acknowledged and appreciated. I bet you were awesome to work with.
I recently had a Mom bring me flowers and that came with a huge hug and lots of tears... It felt so good .

Old 04-07-2017, 08:23 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but this statement " There are a lot of people who cannot possibly put their kids first and that is sad" is pretty judgy. You don't know that.

You've said what you make a day, but you haven't said if that's per child, or how it's calculated. I understand that good day care is not cheap, and never complained about what I had to pay.

Having worked in a doctor's office, I understand these examples you posted of thoughtless people. It happens there too. It happens to teachers. Any time you are dealing with the public, it happens.
I dont think that crazyworld is ascribing those characteristics to a particular group (working v SAH) of moms. I think what she is saying is that of course there are a subset of individuals (including some working moms) who really are thoughtless and self-centered. Of course there are. Just as there are, no doubt, some SAHMs who plop their kids in front of the TV all day while they chat on the phone. Saying that all working moms are awesome is just as incorrect as saying all SAHMs are awesome. The issue is when some want to take one life/parenting decision and use that as the singular measure of good or bad parenting.

I dont think what she personally makes or how it is calculated is relevant to the discussion.

I'll agree with the poster who said she didn't complain about the cost of daycare.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-07-2017 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Additional thought.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As a mom of older children, I can tell you there are MANY milestones and proud moments to observe as a parent. Jeez....stuff like hitting a homerun, the first day of every school year, Halloween parades, good test grades brought home, being chosen for the school play, getting recognized for being a good student citizen, riding a bike, getting a badge at Boy Scouts, etc and so on and so forth. I refuse to beat myself up because I missed my oldest son's first steps. I was there for a lot of important things and more importantly I'm ALWAYS there when he needs me. First steps? He didn't need me for that and that's okay.
AMEN!

My son is 21 and in college. When I think back - the closest memories to me are spending hours and hours in the car, early morning, on our way to some swim meet before the sun came up. We talked about everything under the sun. And we did that for 6 years together. Not to mention, the week-ends away at meets; dinners with other swim families; fun and laughter. Tears and sadness when things didn't go his way. Gossiping about all the other swimmers - who got the best times, etc.

His first 500; his first regional meet; state meet. First time singing in the church choir; first time giving a presentation at cub scouts, his first, first-place ribbon.

I will NEVER forget the first invitational where he won 1st, 2nd or 3rd in every single event; where just the year before - he hadn't even qualified to swim the main events! I remember his coach coming up to him with tears in his eyes (young man) and telling Matt how proud he was.

Gosh, there are so MANY firsts other than that first step.

Now he's 21 and there are still many 'firsts' to come. I can't wait!

Old 04-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I dont think that crazyworld is ascribing those characteristics to a particular group (working v SAH) of moms. I think what she is saying is that of course there are a subset of individuals (including some working moms) who really are thoughtless and self-centered. Of course there are. Just as there are, no doubt, some SAHMs who plop their kids in front of the TV all day while they chat on the phone. Saying that all working moms are awesome is just as incorrect as saying all SAHMs are awesome.

I dont think what she personally makes or how it is calculated is relevant to the discussion.

I'll agree with the poster who said she didn't complain about the cost of daycare.
Maybe, but she was talking about her clients. Now granted there are a few that put their kids in day care when they're not working, but the vast majority of kids in day care are kids of working parents. To tell you the truth, she sounds like the teachers who complain about parents. I never for the life of me got it. As a pediatric nurse, we saw parents at their worst, with sick kids, and we never complained like that, though of course, like all workers, we had our "issues".

crazyworld is the one who brought up her pay, as if to say it's low. I was curious if she made that per kid or per work day. If per day and she has more than one kid, that's very low, especially if it's net income, as she described.

One of the posters who said she didn't complain about the cost of day care was me.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:37 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

One of the posters who said she didn't complain about the cost of day care was me.
I knew someone had, I was too lazy to go back and look.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I knew someone had, I was too lazy to go back and look.
I think book lover also said she didn't complain about the costs. My daughter worked in day care. I know it's hard work.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:52 AM

554 posts, read 684,533 times
I'd never complain about the cost either - your kids are worth the best care you can afford! Day care/preschool workers are taking care of our most precious beings and should be compensated accordingly. Unfortunately, many times, the caretakers themselves get shafted while the school or administration reap the benefits of high tuition.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:20 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
What gets me is people who complain that daycare is too expensive. If there is ONE THING I'm willing to overspend on, it's the people entrusted with the safety and well-being of my child.

When my kids were in daycare, I regularly brought in cookies and various treats, nice Christmas gifts and once in a while surprised them by having pizzas delivered.
I remember overhearing (OK, some would saying "eavesdropping on") a woman on the train discussing that. I heard her say where she lived, and it was a very expensive neighborhood. She was interviewing different nannies, and she said some of her coworkers told her she was paying way too much for home childcare. She said, "These people are driving BMWs yet cheaping out on their childcare." I was glad to (over)hear her say that, because she had a good point.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-07-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 04-07-2017, 09:21 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
No I am not judging I am stating facts. I have been doing this for many years. Most people are great. I have dealt with most families from infant stage until preschool. The majority of people that have come through my doors are still in touch with me and some of them have babies of their own. I had one mother who wouldn't even come through the door. She would slide her kids through the door like she was mailing a letter and mumble that she had meetings. This mother never ever checked on her kids but the Dad was great and I had this family for five years.
Another was the coldest human being I have ever met. She too never even checked on her kids in five years that I cared for their two children.

One mother had instructions for me while on maternity leave and that although the baby was with me all day those instructions were that she needed her rest and I was not to contact her even in an emergency. So not judging just stating facts.

I had two instances with my own family emergencies...one my brother was killed in an accident and we got the call while at pick-up time and most people said "what can we do" but there was one set of parents who said well "you did not provide in your contract for this and we need day care tomorrow" and continued to harass us and went as far as trying to report me to the state anonymously.

Second instance was a couple of years ago my mother died. All parents were notified and this was on a weekend. We were gathered at my parents home and as they were removing my Mom's body my cell phone went off. It was a day care parent...I explained that they were removing my Mother and could I call her back. She said NO it couldn't wait. It went like this..."OH gee sorry about your Mom but you know that recipe you gave me? Is it vanilla paste or vanilla extract in that" . Again not judging...fact.

I told you what I make a day .... A second child is half price. I work hard for my money as I should. I do this mostly because I love the kids and that is my priority.
Not how much does a family pay. How many kids do you watch? Total?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting