Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 04:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,585,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
What's unbelievable?

Mommies who are not prostrate and self-flagellating if they don't spend every second of every day with their children. Allegedly.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:40 PM

1,640 posts, read 797,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes they are, those sanctimommies really are.
It's so ridiculous. I was there for my first standing up in the crib, but was out to dinner when she walked. She did that with my husband and SIL. My second had a gross motor delay where I was also there for everything because I was constantly pushing her to sit up, roll, walk. Who is not there for first solid food? It's not as if somebody else is going to introduce them to solids. I was there for the first laughs as well. That I'm glad i didn't miss.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:42 PM

1,640 posts, read 797,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Mommies who are not prostrate and self-flagellating if they don't spend every second of every day with their children. Allegedly.
I don't know why she believes everybody must value what she values.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:08 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,753,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Child care providers don't "raise" kids. They feed them, change them, and keep them entertained. Patents raise kids. Parents instill values.

Even the people posting here that they don't judge sure do a crappy job of hiding their judgement
Well said.

So much judging in this thread and that makes me sad.

I am a Day Care Provider and have been for more than 30 years from my home. I have seen so many come through my doors from Mom's that sob leaving their baby because they have to work..I also see Mom's who can't wait to dump their kids. I see parents who claim that their child is their world and on the next breath hurry up honey we have to go home because you have a babysitter coming. There are a lot of people who cannot possibly put their kids first and that is sad.
Some even have trophy kids but most are some awesome people and we work together for the good of the kids.
I don't judge and we all work hard together. I do not feel that someone is dropping their child off for me to raise...we work together closely. I know these kids and it helps a parent with anxiety. I am a Mom and I certainly understand.

With that said I see with this thread the people who complain because they have to pay a day care. I cannot speak for others but I make 50.00 per day. I am open 10+ hours a day which comes to 5.00 per hour. I feed the kids out of my pocket breakfast as needed two snacks and a home cooked lunch. All provided by me. With that 5.00 an hour that buys the food, I pay taxes state and federal, a mortgage. I buy toys, gifts for the kids, heat or AC and all utilities not to mention the cost of licensing and training, diapers wipes Tylenol arts and crafts, and all other supplies.
I think that is a reasonable fee and I wonder how many that complain here will work and live on 5.00 an hour. Working adults do not work for free but people want you to take care of their kids for free.
I do not drive a fancy car. I do not travel for vacations and there are plenty of weeks when a check is due me on a Friday I never see it and get all kinds of excuses. Those excuses after 55 hours of work doesn't help when you need to pay bills and go grocery shopping or if you had plans to go out to dinner gets squashed.

Last edited by crazyworld; 04-06-2017 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 05:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,217,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
oh arent they...
Not really. There are so many firsts. roll over, sit up, stand, walk, get a tooth, lose a tooth, go to school, first soccer game, first swim meet, first school dance, first date. It's exciting when they do it. It's exciting the first time you see it. After that, what's important about it? Do you mark it on the calendar and celebrate every year?

Old 04-06-2017, 05:48 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
Obviously, after 82 pages of posts on this subject, we have failed to open the hearts and minds of posters like newtovenice and OrganicSmallHome. One has to wonder about their personal history when they insist on such a sanctimonious tone, making cognitive distortions, and shaming others. Usually, that type of venom is defending a wound.

Kudos to MightyQueen for exposing vulnerability instead of projecting hurt towards others! I could wish more people would do the same .
That was a nice thing to say, thank you.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
oh arent they...
No. It sounds to me as if your kids are grown, too. If you're still clutching on to the wonder of their first steps as one of the highlights of your life, that seems rather sad.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
Obviously, after 82 pages of posts on this subject, we have failed to open the hearts and minds of posters like newtovenice and OrganicSmallHome. One has to wonder about their personal history when they insist on such a sanctimonious tone, making cognitive distortions, and shaming others. Usually, that type of venom is defending a wound.

Kudos to MightyQueen for exposing vulnerability instead of projecting hurt towards others! I could wish more people would do the same .
Yes. I notice that no one is telling the SAHM's that they are doing it wrong. We are saying "do what works for you. Everyone is different." It's only the extreme posters who apparently practice attachment parenting for the first 5+ years telling the rest of us we're doing it wrong. My way is what's right for me. I don't expect them to do it my way. Why I should have to do it their way, I don't know. According to them, I should never have had kids.

FTR, I have worked full time, half time, stayed home, and worked nearly full time. I have done it all, and I know what works for us. I have spent many, many hours at parks, museums, and bouncy house places. My kids have spent time in full day day care, half day preschool, and full days at home with me. I firmly believe that they wouldn't have gained anything by spending another 3 years worth of park days with me. I don't believe that kids need to spend 24/7 with their parents.

I am a middle of the road parent. The posters telling me that I "abandoned" and "gave away" my children, that I should never have had kids, that I care more about money than my kids, and that I don't love them are clearly in the extreme here. Any kind of extreme is a little scary to me.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No. It sounds to me as if your kids are grown, too. If you're still clutching on to the wonder of their first steps as one of the highlights of your life, that seems rather sad.
I was wondering about that too. I mean, mine aren't even in high school yet, and there have already been so many more memorable moments.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I saw my son take his first steps, but I did miss the fact that he had a pen in his hand when it happened. Definitely earned my Slacker Mom medal with that one
I remember my the first time my daughter cut her head open and required stitches. She was two years old, right in front of me jumping up and down when suddenly she lost her balance, pitched forward and caught her forehead on the corner of my friend's coffee table. I took her to the hospital hoping they wouldn't notice that she was missing one of her baby teeth, which she had knocked out falling off the couch, so they wouldn't think I was an abusive mother. I was right there for that one, too. Ah, precious moments.

I was there when she fell off a horse during a riding lesson and cracked her coccyx. And then when she was older and trying out for color guard and in the driveway learning to toss the wooden rifle and it came down on her head and left a big lump.

See? A working mom can share in all the adventures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting