Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,260 times

Advertisements

Don't know whether to have a word with the teacher?

My Daughter 8, year 3 said on Friday after lunch time (20 minutes into lesson) asked the teacher if she could go to the toilet, she said no and that she would have to wait until home time. She asked again and told her she was really desperate but the teacher said she had already said no and to sit down and continue with her work. My little girl said she was bursting by the time the bell went and only just made it, also that holding her wee had gave her stomach ache.

Opinions? She had to hold on for 2 hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 03:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I would be in the office to talk to the principal first thing tomorrow morning.

I am so sorry that happened to your daughter. Thank God the year is almost out. But the principal needs to know about this.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I told my kids if they were ever in that situation, to just get up and leave for the restroom, and if they got in trouble I'd take care of it.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:39 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I told my kids if they were ever in that situation, to just get up and leave for the restroom, and if they got in trouble I'd take care of it.
Yes, this.

Assuming your kid doesn't ask to go to the bathroom excessively, which should be dealt with in another way and not just by depriving the child, I find it pretty despicable when teachers don't let kids use the bathroom. I'll never forget getting to college and being told we didn't have to raise our hands and ask to go to the bathroom - we could just quietly leave the room. It took us freshmen a little time to get used to it. By the time high school hit I had SOME teachers who would tell us the same, but it wasn't widespread until college. Asking to use the bathroom is a pretty awful thing to have to do, when you think about it. Anybody should be able to just get up and go.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:42 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
I know someone with medical issues and it was in his IEP that his teachers had to let him use the toilet whenever he wanted to, no matter what. They still wouldn't observe this, quite often, they would refuse to let him go.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:49 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
If the teacher is actively instructing students for 2 straight hours without a break, she is not a good teacher. What 3rd grader can focus for that long? Their activities should be varied ever 20 minutes or so, leaving many opportunities for a kid to run to the bathroom.

When I worked in schools I knew teachers who were very strict about bathroom time. They didn't want kids purposely interrupting, goofing off in the hall/bathroom, and getting into a habit of avoiding class by going to the bathroom. I get that. But IMHO that needs to be determined on a case by case basis. One time I said no and a kid peed his pants and the mom was furious with me. Ask me once, you can go. Ask me twice, I might say no.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Do you know the schedule of the day where you can confirm that she was in the room in a desk for the last 2 hours and 20 minutes of the day?

I would certainly ask for clarification from the teacher. It's hard to believe that more of the children didn't have to use the restroom during the 2 hours and 20 minutes between lunch and dismissal time.

It's not as if it was 10 minutes until dismissal - 2 hours is obviously an unreasonable length of time to make a child wait.

There may be a back story - that on the way back from lunch all the kids have a chance for a potty break, and she routinely doesn't take the chance but waits a few minutes into the lesson back in the class to go.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:07 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,025,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nburns1985 View Post

My Daughter 8, year 3 said on Friday after lunch time (20 minutes into lesson) asked the teacher if she could go to the toilet, she said no and that she would have to wait until home time. She asked again and told her she was really desperate but the teacher said she had already said no and to sit down and continue with her work. My little girl said she was bursting by the time the bell went and only just made it, also that holding her wee had gave her stomach ache.

This happened to my son in kindergarden. He suffered effects from it until about his beginning 20's. He always had to use the restroom before we left. He was traumatized by it

She was a mean teacher. Not very good and her son had passed away due to a drowning that year which made her worse.

I should've pulled him out of there. Please take this very seriously and switch your child to someone else. This is inhumane

Old 05-07-2017, 06:28 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've told my kids the same thing. I told them to get up, tend to their need and head right for the principal's office and demand they call me. I know my son would do it, but I don't think my daughter would ever be able to work up the nerve to defy a teacher like that.

TWICE...once in 6th grade and once in 7th grade I started my period in class and the teacher wouldn't let me go to the restroom. I had to sit there and feel myself bleed all over (I have always been a very heavy bleeder). Then sit and wait for all the kids to leave and ask the teacher for help, because by then it was soaked though.

Children of all ages should be allowed to use the restroom at will. And I think its trending that way. My kids past private school and now public school allow them just to grab the pass and make a hand signal or quick word to their teacher and just head out. No big production.

If the kid abuses the restroom privilege, then the reasons why need to be addressed (does the child need breaks? Feeling anxious? Need too cool off). But they should never have their ability to get to the restroom halted. It seems like a basic human right.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:29 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nburns1985 View Post

SERIOUSLY? I would have been in that principals office that next morning! First off, it's bad for a girl/woman to hold her bladder. It causes all kinds of problems, UTI, bladder infections, kidney infections, etc. I have two girls ages 11 & 8. I tell them you ask the teacher to go, if she tells you no and you can't hold it you go anyway and don't worry about getting in trouble because the teacher will answer to me!

How would you have felt OP if your daughter wet her pants in class because of this? Could you imagine her embarrassment? Or what it she had to go through the pain of a UTI? You are her mother, her advocate, I suggest you have a talk with not only her teacher, but the school principal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting