Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 09:40 PM

26 posts, read 14,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Changes in behavior and sleeping a lot, as well as not doing things she likes to do or said she would do and ignoring calls and emails sounds to me like depression. Either way, you need to talk to her.
JerseyGirl, Thank you. Yes, we will prepare to start the conversation once she comes home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Agreed, and even if she's had taken drugs, it's more likely to be something like weed or alcohol rather than going straight to needle drugs. That's a big step, and it's not cheap.
Thank you for the info. Either way, we want to find out for her safety.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Have you talked to your daughter? That might be a good place to start. Good luck.
Pupmom, Thank you. Yes, we will prepare to start the conversation once she comes home.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Of course you don't want to accuse a child of using drugs! Why don't you sit down with her and tell her that you've made a crazy connection between long sleeved shirts and hard core drug use - say it with a smile, because that's the only way you're going to get away with this. She'll probably tell you that she protecting her skin from dangerous UV rays.

Also worth considering, she must be tremendously upset about the fact that, at the age of 19, her parents don't trust her. That would destroy the self-esteem of any young adult and result in depression ... sleeping, ignoring email, and avoiding those who can't see her for who she is.

Why not take her swimming and clear the air without any conversation?
Lieneke, Thank you. Yes, we will prepare to start the conversation once she comes home.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I live in Florida and long sleeves and even hoodies seem to be a fad around here with younger kids/young adults..
Personally I don't see how people can stand it, it's HOT..

I'm not saying there isn't anything going on but try to see what others her age are wearing, it could be a style..
Not everyone is self harming or doing IV drugs..
Caligula1, Thank you. Yes, we want to find out, for her own goods and safety.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5e View Post
This could certainly be the case, but since the OP mentioned her being withdrawn and sleeping a lot it might be a medical issue. Hopefully it's just teenager being a teenager
Cat5e, Thank you. Yes, either way, we want to find out, for her own goods and safety.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
How open are you to sit down and openly convey your concerns in a non accusatory way?
If it helps, my foster parents jumped to these wild conclusions and it set into motion a series of events that could have been prevented. Particularly when an honest answer was given. I was not on drugs..Experimenting,or even around kids of that stature. It broke my respect for them.
The key is to mention it in a loving and concerned way...Not a " we know your doing drugs!" . Your reasons may not be the simple facts...Leave the discussion open...
As a caring parent..And a concerned one,I do hope she is able to alleve any concerns...
Nov3, I understand. I totally agreed. She is also sensitive, just like any other teens. We will prepare to start the conversation once she comes home. Thank you.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:10 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,804 times
I went through this with my two boys. Don't even take a chance. Get drug test kits off ebay or Amazon or even the local drug store. There is no reason that she should refuse to take the test. If she does then I would suspect something is up.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:03 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I live in Florida and long sleeves and even hoodies seem to be a fad around here with younger kids/young adults..
Personally I don't see how people can stand it, it's HOT..

I'm not saying there isn't anything going on but try to see what others her age are wearing, it could be a style..
Not everyone is self harming or doing IV drugs..
They wear those sleeves and hoods, so that their tattoos and faces can't be identified with the use of surveillance cameras.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:49 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5e View Post
This could certainly be the case, but since the OP mentioned her being withdrawn and sleeping a lot it might be a medical issue. Hopefully it's just teenager being a teenager
Feeling cold can be the result of an illness. Or it could be drugs. Or it could be self-harm. Or it could be an attempt to hide bruises inflicted by an abusive boyfriend.

Best bet is probably to schedule a checkup at the doctor's to rule out all of the above. If nothing shows up, she's just being a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting