Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:27 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,903 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida and long sleeves and even hoodies seem to be a fad around here with younger kids/young adults..
Personally I don't see how people can stand it, it's HOT..

I'm not saying there isn't anything going on but try to see what others her age are wearing, it could be a style..
Not everyone is self harming or doing IV drugs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 10:03 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
How do you know the college has a drug problem? How are your daughter's grades? Kids with hard drug habits don't do well in school, and don't last long. Nothing you've indicated about her behavior screams drug abuse.
Agreed, and even if she's had taken drugs, it's more likely to be something like weed or alcohol rather than going straight to needle drugs. That's a big step, and it's not cheap.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:16 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I live in Florida and long sleeves and even hoodies seem to be a fad around here with younger kids/young adults..
Personally I don't see how people can stand it, it's HOT..

I'm not saying there isn't anything going on but try to see what others her age are wearing, it could be a style..
Not everyone is self harming or doing IV drugs..
This could certainly be the case, but since the OP mentioned her being withdrawn and sleeping a lot it might be a medical issue. Hopefully it's just teenager being a teenager

Old 08-05-2017, 10:59 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
How open are you to sit down and openly convey your concerns in a non accusatory way?
If it helps, my foster parents jumped to these wild conclusions and it set into motion a series of events that could have been prevented. Particularly when an honest answer was given. I was not on drugs..Experimenting,or even around kids of that stature. It broke my respect for them.
The key is to mention it in a loving and concerned way...Not a " we know your doing drugs!" . Your reasons may not be the simple facts...Leave the discussion open...
As a caring parent..And a concerned one,I do hope she is able to alleve any concerns...

Old 08-05-2017, 11:16 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,155,294 times
I could say that if I worked hard all year, the first year of college, I would be pretty lazy too. this is break time. And if I am a new adult, and have hairy arms, very white skin, I would wear long sleeve shirts in the summer too. I have worn long sleeve shirts in an Air conditioned room, during the summer, and also sleep under a blanket. I have also walked around the house, in the afternoon , still in my sleeping clothes, with no desire to leave the house.

If I was away all year, I might not have the same friends around during the summer, or not want to reconnect with old HS friends. this is a new life, being in college.

please research common tell tale signs of a drug abuser, there is so much information online in regards to spotting drug use.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:46 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,977,743 times
If you are at the point where you are wondering if she is taking drugs then she probably is.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:09 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
Something is wrong. Depression sounds more likely than drug abuse. If you had a good relationship with her pediatrician, and the pedi will still see her, I'd start there.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:08 AM

1,158 posts, read 961,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Wearing long sleeves sounds more like self harm

The US isn't unique in its drug use.
Maybe she is hiding tattoos...

Old 08-06-2017, 07:29 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,035 times
there are at home drug tests that you can use to confirm your suspicion, but keep in mind that a 19 year old is an adult.

drugs are rampant but recreational drugs such as marajuana, meth, lsd and others would be the first things to reach for before injecting.

I'm betting the long sleeves are covering a tattoo.

teens and adults sleep alot, their circadian rhythms are just different.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:31 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
My son started using drugs when he was 15 and I was clueless. What don't you ask her in a non-accusatory way if she is using drugs or if she is depressed. Sometimes, especially with young people, they don't know how to tell their parents they are depressed, they just withdraw. She could have mononucleosis or another virus making her tired. Just let her know you are there for her in a non-judgmental way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting