Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:54 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,021 times

Advertisements

My mom was telling me a story what my 2yr. old niece had done while out shopping with her mom and Grandparents. They thought it was funny. I didn't and told my mom if my sister-in-law don't send the money to cover the cost of the necklace, it's stealing and not setting a good example for the kid. My mom acted like it was no big deal. I was mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 12:11 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
If it was something of great value I would make sure to take it back. But its happened with small things and I think it comes out in the wash. They often forget to put something in my bags likely more often then I end up with something I didn't end up paying for. And a 2 year old doesn't know they are stealing. So its not like that is a life lesson against crime. You remind them that the proper way to buy things

Old 09-30-2017, 12:12 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
I'd go back and return it or pay for it.

It's pretty black and white.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'd go back and return it or pay for it.

It's pretty black and white.
No it isn't. A diamond necklace, yes. TicTacs? a pack of gum?

Old 09-30-2017, 12:14 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't see the distinction in this case.

Would the store normally let you walk out the door without paying for a pack of gum?
No.
So their intention is to sell it for money.

It's pretty dangerous to start deciding on your own what constitutes a crime and what doesn't. Or deciding for other people what is or isn't valuable.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't see the distinction in this case.

Would the store normally let you walk out the door without paying for a pack of gum?
No.
So their intention is to sell it for money.
How often does a store forget to put something in a bag that you paid for and you end up without it? A lot. I used to work at a store. They make no effort to get it back to you. In fact, its returned to the store shelves and sold again.

Once they track me down when they forget to put the pack of gum in my bag, I will return a pack of gum accidently left unpaid for (which pretty much never happens now that I don't have small kids)

Dangerous? LOL that is beyond funny. I am glad you added that line.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:30 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
If it was something of great value I would make sure to take it back. But its happened with small things and I think it comes out in the wash. They often forget to put something in my bags likely more often then I end up with something I didn't end up paying for. And a 2 year old doesn't know they are stealing. So its not like that is a life lesson against crime. You remind them that the proper way to buy things
It is not the two year old who is stealing. It is the adult who knows the merchandise was not paid for.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Quote:
If it was something of great value I would make sure to take it back. But its happened with small things and I think it comes out in the wash. They often forget to put something in my bags likely more often then I end up with something I didn't end up paying for.
Quote:
How often does a store forget to put something in a bag that you paid for and you end up without it? A lot. I used to work at a store. They make no effort to get it back to you. In fact, its returned to the store shelves and sold again.

I've NEVER had that happen to me.

Never one time in my life have I left a store with something I didn't pay for or missing something I've paid for.

I think your justification is a slippery slope.

For the record, yes, I would absolutely return a pack of gum.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:46 PM

948 posts, read 920,860 times
My daughter did that once or twice. I just went back to the store, returned the item to the cashier, and apologized for the mistake. No harm done. (I think once the lady even told her she could keep it. lol )

Kids do that kind of stuff. They don't know better. The best thing you can do is be a good role model by bringing it back ( with them, not for them).

Old 09-30-2017, 01:01 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Oh, ok..so if the cashier accidentally scan a pack of ticktacs and put it in your bag, that's ok with you. It's only a $1.50 after all.

And yes, many times they do forget to bag some small item. And I always call them and they have no problem giving it to me.
What is your limit ( dollars )of how much you are willing to keep vs give back to the store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting