Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 04:48 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times

Advertisements

I was reading an old thread on Reddit on this subject and while it was creepy, it was also hilarious. So I thought I would post this here and see if parents here had similar stories. I think we can all use a laugh these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 08:49 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
I don't know about what they said but my six year old brought a drawing home from school yesterday that has me convinced she's been to the Upside Down. She's normally a good artist so the scribbling it very odd.

I'm hanging Christmas lights on the wall just to be safe.

Oh yeah, she's never seen Stranger Things in her life.

Last edited by Vegabern; 11-03-2017 at 08:58 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 09:57 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
My daughter loves to be a creeper. Its part of her humor. Creepy humor. Its more what she does then says. Sometimes she will randomly point at me, with her eyes all wide and crazy then slowly drag her index finger across her neck. Stare at me for a second then bebop off to play. I am like "WTF?".

Or she just randomly does the "I got my eyes on you" thing with her fingers from meet the parents. But she is so creepy about it all. She thinks its hilarious.

She also likes to talk about death a lot and she seems to get a giggle out of talking about it when she can tell I am anxious. Like when we fly I get nervous when there is turbulence and she will just start to muse to me about the plane falling out of the sky and us all dying.

I asked a child psychologist about all this and she said its normal behavior...just her way of dealing with her own fears by making light of it all. And she is not plotting to kill me in my sleep (hopefully).

Speaking of, my kids often come into my room in the early morning or in the middle of the night, so it isn't a big deal. I am a light sleeper so I usually hear them coming. But one night not too long ago I woke up slightly, still kind of dreaming, to a man standing over my bed. I screamed, he screamed, we both screamed. Then I woke up enough to realize it was my son (he is starting puberty so he always looks more like a man then I have him memorized in my head these days). My son just cried his eyes out because him scaring me scared him so badly. He always says "mommy" before walking in the room now to make sure I am awake LOL

Old 11-03-2017, 10:25 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
In 2014 my daughters great grandfather was dying of pancreatic cancer. He was given 3 weeks from the time of diagnosis. We did not tell her he was dying, only that he was sick. He died around 4 am in the morning and I stayed home while my daughter slept and my husband went over to hospice. The morning he died my daughter and myself were on the porch shortly after breakfast. She was trying to catch a frog and suddenly stopped and turned towards me. We hadn't told her yet he passed, waiting until later in the day when the family was together. So she stopped playing and stood up and looked at me and said "grandad is working with his dad now" I said huh? She points towards the direction where he died the night before in hospice, (she also did not know he was there) and says "he said the doctors there couldn't help me but its ok he's working with his dad now". I said how do you know? All she said was "did you hear him in my room this morning? He said its fine he has to go to work now"

To be clear we are a very atheist family, we have never discussed afterlife with my daughter as we don't believe in it or ghosts). That one did throw me for a loop. 5 weeks after that my daughter found my 30 year old brother in law dead in his bedroom. We had no idea he was dead in there, we thought he was at work and his door was closed. She never mentioned anything about him so I do feel like the comments about her GG were a fluke.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:25 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I was reading an old thread on Reddit on this subject and while it was creepy, it was also hilarious. So I thought I would post this here and see if parents here had similar stories. I think we can all use a laugh these days.
? Sooo.... what is the story on Reddit???

Old 11-03-2017, 01:37 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
? Sooo.... what is the story on Reddit???
It's not really a story. It was just a whole bunch of people whose kids have said creepy things. Some of them have an obvious explanation for what their kids said, some don't. Some really are downright creepy. Not to say any of the kids are going to grow up and be serial killers or anything. A lot of the comments were from adults whose parents told them of the creepy things they said when they were younger.

It's just a creepy version of #kidssaythedarndestthings.

Also, if some parent is concerned about what his kid has said, being able to see that other kids say the same things is kind of reassuring.

Here's an example: My 3-yo daughter said, “You’re the best mommy I have had so far…”. I said “I am the only mommy you have had!” As she walked away she said, “That’s what all the other mommies said, too!"

Old 11-03-2017, 01:43 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Thanks for clarifying

Old 11-03-2017, 02:57 PM

215 posts, read 283,388 times
I have a strange laugh that happens when everything's going down the tubes and is sure to be a train wreck. People have told me it creeps them out. I wasn't concerned until I heard it come from our 9 year old son (I don't think he ever heard mine).

Old 11-03-2017, 03:06 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
My older son was eight years old on 9/11. We were standing in front of the TV watching in real time when the first tower fell.

He turned to me and said, "I guess you can't call them the Twin Towers anymore."

I raised my hand like I was going to hit him. I was just so emotionally overcome and it was such a flippant remark. (I NEVER hit my kids, so I don't know if I would have)

But my husband grabbed my hand and said, "He's 8. He hasn't really processed that there were people in there."

Old 11-03-2017, 04:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I have a couple creepy kid things.

A year or so ago we went on vacation. I rented a historic house. It was remodeled and everything. I thought it would be cool to stay in. My son walked in (about 10 at the time), excited to see where we would be staying. He got upstairs, froze dead in his tracks and ran right out of the house. He hyperventilated and sobbed and refused to go back in. At all. He is very verbal but he couldn't tell me why he didn't want to go back. We ended up not staying there...he just wouldn't go back in and even suggesting it made him hysterical. The only thing I got from him was "its spooky" but he refused to talk about what was "spooky".

I had to go back in to get our bags (he sat in the car and cried the whole time afraid for me) and I was in for about 10 minutes....I don't know if it was just the suggestion from him, but I felt like it was pretty spooky too at that point.

Another creepy thing. I lived in a house that was over 100 years old with a roommate who had a toddler daughter. After living there for a month the toddler started refusing to go into her play room. She wouldn't even go in to get a toy or a book. We asked her why and she said the other little girl that plays in there isn't nice and scares her.

We did find out later, in the history of the house a girl about her age died in the house. But lots of other *really* weird things happened. Enough for me to actually change my mind about if ghosts exist. It was a scary place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting