Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 03:20 AM

426 posts, read 362,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why should people only have sex if they want a baby? Getting pregnant is one reason to have sex but it is not the only one.

And you are crazy to think that you are going to stop teenagers from having sex if they want to. Are you going to be with them on every date? Will you be with them after school, on the weekends? What are you going to say when they tell you that Mary, Nancy and Sue are having sex but they aren't getting pregnant?

There is also the possibility that your 'scare tactic' approach to sex and pregnancy will be a hindrance to them at a later date. Will they be able to have a normal healthy sex life when they can only equate sex with getting pregnant (since according to you, there should be no more sex after you have children you want).

A "normal healthy sex life" is immoral.

I want my approach to hinder them at a later time for non pregnancy reasons. So that would be successful.

I would say that those girls are using highly dangerous drugs to artificially suppress their stupid decisions and that they will pay dearly in the long run for their terrible upbringing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
I'm in my 50's & my dad had the talk with me around age 8 or 9. He didn't use correct terminology though & there was never a follow up talk, just learned all the correct terms in school (pre-internet) in health class around 4th or 5th grade. There were several pregnant 12 yo's in my school & sexual activity was not uncommon at age 12 in school. I don't remember any at age 11, seemed like 12 yo's is when many kids started to experiment with the real thing.

At this point, I'd want to know what she knows to clear up any misconceptions & talk about protection, etc.

There's no point in having a talk when you use fake words.

That's basically teaching the child it's OK to lie.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Where on earth did I say I saw a teen girl sibling naked on a regular basis? Oh that's right I NEVER said such a thing! I don't have an older sister. My brother is 4 years younger than me. I would ask why he had a "bouncy thing" when his diaper was changed. I thought he was broken! So my mother explained the difference between boys and girls. I can only imagine what you'd say when I tell you my siblings bathed together when they were toddlers! They're 16 months apart and were inseparable. Much easier to bathe 2 kids at once.

Even married couples shouldn't have sex unless they want a baby? To quote you: That's INSANE!

What are you a nun? Nuns aren't this out of touch with the world.

I knew kids in high school who had babies. Certainly didn't stop me from having sex in high school. There's always a baby in my family. I have a HUGE family - 29 first cousins alone. There's always someone pregnant. Babies aren't scary. Babies are work, yes. But your life isn't over if you have one in high school or college. Yes, life will be more challenging, but your life isn't over.

You're dreaming if you think you can stop anyone from having sex. It's sex. People do it because it feels good. ALL animals have sex. Humans are animals.

Fear mongering doesn't help anyone. It doesn't teach children or teens to trust their parents either.

A 16 month old would not even remember the memory though.

I would disown a kid if they had sex for a non pregnancy reason.

Let's see how they fare with no money for food or rent. Yes, their life would be over when they're living on the streets.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Perish the thought. Mine are 3m and 7f and still do so. Sometimes with me too. They cuddle naked too. Sometimes with me also. Same for sleeping sometimes. They play often in the garden this way too - in our pool and so forth as well.

Oh the humanity huh? But children do not suffer the same hang ups about nudity or sexuality or sexual reproduction that we as adults have and project on to them. And zesty2 might be missing out on that simple fact.

Children don't think through a lot of subjects.

We're supposed to know better.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I've seen my mother naked more times than I can count! Even now I'll see her naked once in a while. Not a big deal. We all have the same pieces and parts. If I haven't seen a naked person by now (I'm in my 40's), there's seriously something wrong! Notice the world kept spinning even though I've seen my mother naked?

I've also seen several aunts and cousins naked. Funny thing when people are sharing a bedroom and getting dressed. Or you're baby sitting and kids need diapers changed or their clothes changed or baths. I've seen friends naked, too. It happens when sharing a hotel room or vacation house. No biggie. No one died. No one passed out. No one talks about it.

If one belongs to a gym, they're going to see a whole lot of naked in the locker room! Heck, even in middle and high school, there's a lot of naked in the locker room before gym and swimming and sports programs.

Zesty might have just been hit with a migraine over all this nudity. Many of us don't find nudity to be a big deal. It's the human body. Not a big deal. Maybe it's all in the way we're raised. Now, that doesn't mean I go running down the street naked....things would instantly freeze mid bounce today! It's 25 degrees out....LOL But a naked person? Eh...whatever!

Just because something terrible didn't happen doesn'tt mean it's ok.

It's called using the bathroom to get changed. Stop being so lazy.

I would talk about it and criticize how lazy you are to not just walk in another room.

And I'd keep reminding you until you stop doing it.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Yes because _that_ book was likely written in a tone and language targetted at 13 years olds. In other words the language of that book was reserved for 13+. Not the content. That is two different things.

Again "insane" seems to be your go to word for something you can not actually argue against. You have not yet offered a single reason why not. You just call it "insane" over and over and act like that is somehow job done.

The same is true about most education in most subjects however. We place knowledge in situ and then replace it again later. Take the random example of physics for example. We give in early school a much simplfied model of the atom. Then later we replace this with a different one. Then later a more different one.

Then when you get into university and do atomic physics you find that _all_ the models you used before are pretty much fantasy.

We "change the story" as you put it quite often in education. And there are good reasons for doing it.

But with sexual education I see no reason to "change the story" at all. The basic biological processes - eggs meeting - babies forming - sexual copulation to deposit the fertilisation - all of that can be brought to the table very early and then built on. No "changing of the story" at all.

Again - I think you underestimate how much 5 year olds can understand about very basic concepts. What aspects of biological reproduction exactly are you suggesting are too complex for them? It is all mighty basic stuff and there has been no comprehension problems with my children so far.

Ah your go to word again. Who here is saying they "need" to know it though? What people are saying is not that they "need" to know it - but that one valid and useful way to teach sexual topics to children is to start early with the absolute basics and then in a continuous and iterative process to build on that knowledge over time.

But while pretending people say they "need" to know it - you have not yet offered a single reason as to why they should not know it.

A) You have not offered a single reason why other than it is easier.

If that is your explanation for parenting, you're not going to be very successful.

B) No, education changes the story to brainwash the general population because if the people were educated, a superintendent wouldn't get paid $400,000 for a job a 10-year old can do.

But if you keep the people stupid, the higher-ups can steal from the people easily.

C) The story you give is garbage though.

A kid could easily ask how the egg is produced and you have no answer on the 8-year old level.

So you would have to say either you do not know, it is a mystery, or it is too complicated for them to understand.

So much for removing their doubt!

D) A 5-year old is totally incapable of understanding DNA and chromosomes.

There's no way to explain why a sperm is different from an egg without getting into it.

E) They should not know a fake story when they are 5.

It makes the kid wonder what else the parents have lied about.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
A 16 month old would not even remember the memory though.

I would disown a kid if they had sex for a non pregnancy reason.

Let's see how they fare with no money for food or rent. Yes, their life would be over when they're living on the streets.
Holy christ on a bicycle. Send your kids to me NOW.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Children don't think through a lot of subjects.

We're supposed to know better.
When are they going to learn to think? On some magic day when they reach a certain age?

Old 12-17-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
A) You have not offered a single reason why other than it is easier.

If that is your explanation for parenting, you're not going to be very successful.
It is scaffolding understanding and recognizing that learning takes time.

Quote:

B) No, education changes the story to brainwash the general population because if the people were educated, a superintendent wouldn't get paid $400,000 for a job a 10-year old can do.

But if you keep the people stupid, the higher-ups can steal from the people easily.

C) The story you give is garbage though.

A kid could easily ask how the egg is produced and you have no answer on the 8-year old level.

So you would have to say either you do not know, it is a mystery, or it is too complicated for them to understand.

So much for removing their doubt!

D) A 5-year old is totally incapable of understanding DNA and chromosomes.

There's no way to explain why a sperm is different from an egg without getting into it.
[/quote]I am not sure if your kids are particularly dumb or you think kids in general are. When my kids were preschoolers, we had ... I don't remember what they were called, but they were books with clear pages where you layered organs within the body. There were digestive organs, nervous system organs, reproductive organs. It is not a mystery. I certainly don't NOT know. They point and name and start to digest what each thing does.

I am not sure why one would not "get into it". We talked about mammalian reproduction, fish reproduction, bird reproduction. It is not weird or scary to them unless you make it such.

Quote:
E) They should not know a fake story when they are 5.

It makes the kid wonder what else the parents have lied about.
I don't see what fake story you are referring to in the post to which you are replying.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
The same is true about most education in most subjects however. We place knowledge in situ and then replace it again later. Take the random example of physics for example. We give in early school a much simplfied model of the atom. Then later we replace this with a different one. Then later a more different one.

Then when you get into university and do atomic physics you find that _all_ the models you used before are pretty much fantasy.
I am not sure what models you are talking about that are fantasy or what is replaced. If you are using fantasy, storks and the like, then I would not call that a great idea. Most educational models are simplified and augmented with details over time, not replaced...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting