Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 04:21 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Meh. Not a bad thing.

Yep, nothing wrong with destroying expensive property and humiliating your child over a grade That'll learn him!

If the dad bought the Xbox, he's an idiot, because that's money he spent. If he didn't, he's an a-hole, because that's money someone else spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Wow, what a horrible "father". I certainly understand taking it away till grades are better but this is all kinds of awful. For those that say "It's just a video game system", it's the principal of the matter. Imagine if a parent "punished" a girl by making her tear up all of her nice clothes, or smash all her makeup.
Dad pays for everything anyway. Besides, we need to have more discipline in society in general, and the lack of discipline we see now largely stems from society not allowing fathers to be fathers.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Wow, you really consider taking a toy away as abusive? (here it is) lol Because that is funny!!!! and sad at the same time.
Making a child destroy one of his toys and filming him with the intent to humiliate him on the internet is emotional abuse.

It's amazing that people are trying to downplay this by saying how much worse they had it and what their parents did to them... yeah, you all were probably abused, like actual legal abuse, especially by today's standards. And that's horrible. But so is this. Your experiences being worse doesn't make this one not bad or not a big deal. I hate when people try to compare horrible experiences and act like because some had it worse, the person who didn't have it quite as bad did not have a validly bad experience; there is no winning and nothing to be proud of or gloat about or downplay. I think some people's responses here say a lot about what they experienced as children at the hands of their parents and that isn't a good thing.

There is no such thing as "real abuse" as some see it. Physical abuse that leaves injuries in some ways is more dangerous, in that it is life-threatening, than emotional abuse but emotional abuse screws with kids psychologically and can cause long-term or even permanent emotional damage that can follow kids through life - creating trust issues and other problems that can affect relationships, self-esteem, mood, cause depression, anxiety, I can go on. Emotional abuse is nothing to sneeze at and while some instances of "throwing a toy away" may not be emotional abuse, the matter in which this whole scenario occurred IS.

I have worked with abused children and have seen kids with bruises, burns, broken bones, and even irreparable brain damage as a result of their parents' abuse. I STILL see this particular scenario as emotional abuse/a form of abuse.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 01-12-2018 at 01:14 AM..

Old 01-12-2018, 06:26 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,807 times
Disciplining the child is good... too many parents don't do that. However, locking up the Xbox and NOT filming it and plastering it all over social media would have achieved the same goal and not made the dad look like a jerk.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:28 AM

685 posts, read 1,104,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Girls don't have Xboxes?

I agree with confiscating the electronics and making the child earn them back.
Both my kids since they were toddlers have had stuff taken away OR thrown out due to bad behavior. This is bad parenting. Bad behavior doesn't get rewarded. Youtubing parenting is BAD parenting now. Like this parent has the mindset of his son. He needs an audience?

Old 01-13-2018, 11:30 AM

305 posts, read 723,943 times
It's a dumb Xbox. The kid should have studied.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:53 PM

426 posts, read 362,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Force the kid to sell it to a pawn shop, then use the money for study supplies.

That's even worse. The kid probably forgets about it after awhile, but will be forced to relive the memory over and over while using the study supplies that he hates using.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:55 PM

426 posts, read 362,673 times
I'd guess the kid gets picked on in school.

You really can't MAKE someone do that. You could tell them to do. But he could refuse.

That tells me he gives into what everyone says.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:23 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post

You really can't MAKE someone do that. You could tell them to do. But he could refuse.

He's 9, I think most 9 year olds in the end do as their parents say. It sounds like you're implying he's a pushover because he' not able to make autonomous decisions at 9, that is odd to me. Were you allowed to ignore authority and make your own decisions at nine?

Why do you think he gets picked on?

Old 01-15-2018, 07:10 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post

Oh you again...

Its his father. His FATHER. Most kids do what their father says to...esp if their father is a big jerk like this father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting