Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 AM

531 posts, read 384,798 times

Advertisements

That poor Xbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 09:04 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I agree that if you asked a child who has been physically abused whether he'd rather be hit or smash his Xbox, he would say he'd rather smash his Xbox. They aren't the same thing.

However, it's still terrible parenting and the child will most likely remember it with anger, shame, and humiliation the rest of his life. And I doubt it improved his ability to do school work one bit.
I don’t disagree that it was terrible parenting. I disagree with other’s description of the dad based on a short video. He isnt the sharpest tool in the shed and needs anger management and parenting classes. I wont go further than that and call him ‘ the worst parent ever’ based on this video alone.

On the abuse issue...an abused child would have smashed the Xbox at the first command. It wouldn’t have been a back and forth of wills between him and the dad. He would have done it period. There would have been no backtalk and short-lived hesitation if any and that’s true whether you are discussing an emotionally or physically abused kid.

Abused kids learn self-preservation. They dont play will-he/wont he games with their aggressors. They KNOW he will and act accordingly.

Will he be angry and ashamed for life? I dont know. It depends. Shame is a construct of culture. You feel ashamed based on what the society around you feels is shameful and your own propensity for caring about what others think. He probably had a hard time in school about it. Will he have a hard time about this one incident 30 years from now? I dont know but don’t necessarily think so. People have gotten over worse things.

If this kid and his dad stay on the same trajectory however this incident will be minor compared to what’s coming in their future. I hope i’m wrong.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have zero respect for parents who choose YouTube( or social media) humiliation to discipline their children.

It's more about the parent getting attention for their 'oh so smart' parenting. This was a stupid stunt designed to garner attention for Daddy and sure to alienate the boy.

Stupid.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:48 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,351,136 times
Wow. underperforming kid loses his X-box for bad grades. Geez.

And I thought I had it hard, when less than a minute after I handed my report-card to my folks, I was told to go to my dads closet...for his belt...

Kids today just don't even WANT to know how 'easy' they have it...

I would weep for the future of this human 'race'...but I just can't anymore...and it's not because I'm a little older & wiser for the miles travelled...

...it's because I truly feel the 'rumbling on the tracks'...there's definately a storm coming...more of a 'reckoning' actually...

...and now I begin to understand what was meant in 'Revelations'.

So very few of you will have what it takes to face judgement, standing firm...with quiet resolve...

...with HONOR.

Jesus wept...but I can't.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post

And I thought I had it hard, when less than a minute after I handed my report-card to my folks, I was told to go to my dads closet...for his belt...

I would weep for the future of this human 'race'...but I just can't anymore...and it's not because I'm a little older & wiser for the miles travelled...

...it's because I truly feel the 'rumbling on the tracks'...there's definately a storm coming...more of a 'reckoning' actually...

So very few of you will have what it takes to face judgement, standing firm...with quiet resolve...

...with HONOR.

Did your dad bring you into the middle of the street with everyone out there and start whuppin? No? Were you still able to use your a&% once your grades got back up?
No again? Hardly the same thing.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:05 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:

...with HONOR.

Your dads heinous behavior isn't an excuse for another fathers heinous behavior being too 'easy'.

Heinous is heinous is heinous.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:06 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
Quote:

...with HONOR.

Somehow I don't think Jesus would think it's cool to aggressively curse at a child while making him destroy property that he had been given (that could have instead been donated with the proceeds helping poor/hungry people), and then post the fiasco on the Internet for the world to see.

Last edited by Jowel; 01-10-2018 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 04:18 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
bad grades don't happen overnight, dad should have had some idea that his son was doing poorly. I always knew when my kids were screwing up and I communicated with their teachers in order to make sure that problems were rectified before report cards came out.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:56 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Not every youngster is cut out for academic success; some of them need to be put on a more pragmatic/vocational "track" at the earliest opportunity; and I'd want to know a lot more about the classroom environment the kid has to deal with. Too many teachers, not to mention administrators, are mostly out to turn their pupils into poster children for their way of running things; (and if that doesn't work, there's Ritalin).

I had the third highest SAT score in a graduating class of 265, and was raised in part by a career educator with a D Ed; but I was faltering in Junior High, because I was stifled, bullied to some degree, and had no incentives; the problems eased up when more opportunities and approaches manifested themselves in Senior High, and I really hit my stride as an undergraduate. (but a lot of the resentment and frustration returned after graduation due to the hated structure of entry-level "Korporate Kulture" -- too reminiscent of the seventh grade!)

Finally, the use of vulgar language by the father says a lot:

Q: How come youse can't make my kid smart?

A: I'm trying hard to make myself understood to the biggest reason!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-10-2018 at 06:39 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 10:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Wow, what a horrible "father". I certainly understand taking it away till grades are better but this is all kinds of awful. For those that say "It's just a video game system", it's the principal of the matter. Imagine if a parent "punished" a girl by making her tear up all of her nice clothes, or smash all her makeup.
Exactly. This is actually worse than the whole "If you break our new VCR, Imma leave you on the street corner" I use to get as a kid. This video is up there FOREVER. I would have just locked it away until the first break, if grades got better. If not, it stays locked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting