Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I was afraid the kid would take the sledge hammer to the ‘father’! Scary that the ‘father’ thought this would solve anything. I could only see it causing resentment. Folks, children today are really addicted to these video games. Seriously. It’s scary. Better to use the access to video gaming as an incentive. I always think of the film “Children of Men” when this topic comes up...
I disagree. This was asking a kid to take a hammer to a favorite toy. Like, to destroy a lego land or tinkertoy building would be as hurtful.

Actually, when I saw that man demand his son destroy his xbox, I thought of men who make kids kill their beloved pets. I saw that in this boys cry, I can't do that, I can't do that. This is not a good father.

(I do have to note, it's not the same as hammering to death an animal). But still. There's something seriously wrong with this dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 09:03 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,485 times
Yeah, that was taking it too far. Do not teach violence. Take the privilege away.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:25 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Believe me i agree that he made a poor decision; probably one of many. I don't think his kid is all that sympathetic either. His attitude towards the whole thing rubs me the wrong way. Maybe he learned from his dad, i dont know.

Its just not the worst thing a parent ever did in the history of parenting like some here are acting like it is. Most of the rage is directed at him asking his kid to destroy the console not even the fact that he posted it online which is more egregious imho.

It probably wouldn’t make a top 100 list if someone bothered to make one.
I agree that based just on this video, he's not the worst parent in the world. But this is certainly an egregious example of bad parenting.

Also, what if the kid is telling the truth? What if whatever happened really is the teacher's fault? Teachers aren't perfect and they lose things and make mistakes entering grades. In any case, it's awful and sad to watch the video.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:26 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,182 times
OMG!! a parent who made a mistake. let's tar and feather him.
Get a gripe guys. the kid lost a favorite toy, I'm willing to bet he'll end up with another Xbox soon

Old 01-09-2018, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Get a gripe guys. the kid lost a favorite toy, I'm willing to bet he'll end up with another Xbox soon
The kid didn't just lose a toy. He was forced to destroy the toy with a sledge hammer by his father who was cursing in the background and the whole episode was posted on social media.

It's an example of terrible parenting.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The kid didn't just lose a toy. He was forced to destroy the toy with a sledge hammer by his father who was cursing in the background and the whole episode was posted on social media.

It's an example of terrible parenting.
and everybody here is the paragon of sainthood with perfect children.

I'm sure if someone had followed me around with a video of me with my kids, I'd have been labeled a bad parent also.

Oh yes I have forced my kids to throw away their favorite toys for punishment. one kid is about to be an attorney, other son is a registered nurse, last son went to trade school and will probably be richer than everyone as a plumber/pipefitter.

don't think any are suffering major psychological damage. I guess if they turn into serial killers they can blame it on bad parenting. or go on Dr. Phil

I do agree, I don't get the obsession this country has with posting every thing on social media.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:39 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Not really a mistake. He planned it out. Video taped it. Put it on You Tube. He's proud of what he did. That's not a mistake. That's just crap parenting. Worst parent in the world? Not based just on this. But a good parent? Not a chance.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Not really a mistake. He planned it out. Video taped it. Put it on You Tube. He's proud of what he did. That's not a mistake. That's just crap parenting. Worst parent in the world? Not based just on this. But a good parent? Not a chance.
which probably leads me to think it was fake. I just don't label people bad parents based on a 1 minute you tube video. but I don't sling labels.
Parent that did some thing stupid? sure. like I said, if someone had followed me around I'm sure this crowd could just as easy made an argument for me being a "bad" parent.

But like I said, I've found that here, everyone is perfect. lol.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:03 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
The worst part of this is vertical video.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:05 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm all for taking away things as punishment, but smashing them, filming it, and putting it on YouTube is going to far. Does anyone else think this kid is pretty pathetic for crying though?
You think a child is "pathetic" for crying while being verbally and mentally abused? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting