Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:12 AM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Seriously though, some of the most challenging (and meaningful) parenting (for me) has taken place after the age of 18.
+1

I can relate to that.

Seems that the OP is not pleased with the path the son is on, and is in need of more parenting. Sorry, but he's legally an adult now. If he asks for advice, great. If he asks for money then there's a decision to make... no, yes, or yes with some condition(s). If he's managing on his own then there's not a great deal you can do if he's not receptive to parental advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 12:00 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Why don't you just say "NO"? It's not that hard.

I see a lot of posts here by parents of adult kids. There really shouldn't be. Parenting ends when the kid turns 18. In my opinion, this is a board for parents of actual children. Once they reach adulthood they aren't kids anymore.

Tell them no, set boundaries and if you can't, it's ultimately your fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No. Adult kids (unless they have special needs) don't need to be coddled anymore. They should be on their own. They should not need actual parenting.
Hahahahahahahaha! Last fall, as my 18-year-old daughter headed off to her first semester of college, I actually thought, "Whew! We're done!" But she had a tough semester with lots of homesickness and two physical ailments. We talked on the phone for long stretches and I went to take care of her when she had surgery. She tried mightily to handle things on her own and did a good job, but before it was all over she still needed her mama. I expect she will at least for the next several years.

To the OP, I understand that you think your son is on a bad path and you may be more afraid for him than angry or hurt. But he's an adult and making choices. Try not to be angry that they're not the choices you would make for him. Good luck to all of you.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Oh the audacity of that son of yours to decide he doesn’t like your rules and to find another option and to not give you notice even though you don’t have a formal lease that requires it.

Seriously you sound like my mother when I told her I got my first place and was moving out. She like you was furious I got tired of her rules and I had an opportunity to leave before she could kick me out herself.
Some people have MAJOR control issues. Sounds like the OP and your mom had control issues. They forget that you're not children anymore. You're adults and have your life. You ned to get out there fail and succeed. That's the only way to live life!

Old 01-10-2018, 01:47 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
OP, it sounds like your feelings are hurt that your son is moving out...would that be correct? IF correct...that's what I'm trying to understand...did you expect gratefulness from him for allowing him to come back home...or gratefulness to you and your husband for giving him a roof over his head? I'm not speaking rhetorically...I really am trying to understand.

Does it hurt your feelings that he only gave 1 day's notice, as if...he was keeping the moving day a secret from you? And maybe you're wondering why he felt the need to keep it a secret from you?

I totally get how you would/could be concerned about his choices, but for real, trying to understand the hurt that you're feeling.

I also totally get having the rules. As they say, your house, your rules. I also totally get why it would chaff him to have to follow those rules. Sounds like he WAS independent, and then moved back home, right?

I'm just not getting the hurt feelings though.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:04 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
Sounds like a control issue to me. The OP wanted total control over her son, with him moved out, she can't do that.

I can maybe see why he wanted out. Sounds like the OP is all about telling her son, and her friends (see previous thread about friend being in auto accident) what they need to do, and if they dont agree, they are wrong.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:07 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
The day my kids will move out will be the best day of my life. I will retire day after and move to Mexico. I don't need more than 1000$ a month.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:08 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Sounds like a control issue to me. The OP wanted total control over her son, with him moved out, she can't do that.

I can maybe see why he wanted out. Sounds like the OP is all about telling her son, and her friends (see previous thread about friend being in auto accident) what they need to do, and if they dont agree, they are wrong.
You nailed it.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
You nailed it.
Yep

Old 01-10-2018, 03:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post

Good catch there on the other thread.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:12 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
OP, all due respect, but you are generating needless drama and getting way too invested in what your kids are doing. Your son presumably did not have a lease and you were presumably not dependent on his rent to survive. What is the problem with him moving out? You're taking one inoffensive situation and making it into a full-on family conflict. YOu take offense and get involved in a lot of things that aren't your business on your various threads. There is no need to do that and your energies are better spent elsewhere.

I'm saying this with kindness: Please find a therapist who will help you determine appropriate boundaries. It will improve your relationships with your children and your friends as well as your overall happiness and life satisfaction. Don't turn into that bitter person who takes offense whenever things don't go the way she envisioned. It's exhausting for you and for the people around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting