Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 25,605 times

Advertisements

Last Monday, Ashley babysat my 3 kids (ages 9, 8 & 6) Yes, I checked her references and got a "raving review" (although I now doubt she honestly works for this person). I also did a criminal background check. She only had to baby-sit for about 3 hours, and then it was bedtime. I ordered a pizza, so she didn't have to do anything. She left the food out, the house was a mess, and things were out of order, but whatever, I didn't specifically ask her to clean up the dinner mess and keep things neat (although any DECENT sitter would)... Two days later, my son brings me his piggy bank and asked me where all his money was. Over $65.00 gone from his bank. She stole from a CHILD!!! How SICK is that?!? My 8 year old has been saving that money for THREE YEARS!!! IN ADDITION, she went through my belongings and found a company check that was made out to cash in the amount of $5,200 (it was a petty cash check that I kept in my possession so that if I needed to transfer money into one of our subsidaries accounts when my Exec's were out of pocket, I could). Now, she had to be DIGGING through my belongings to find that check... She STOLD that check and tried to open a checking account with it. When the check was found out, she tried telling the company I work for and the police that I PAID HER OVER $5,000 to baby-sit for ONE NIGHT!!! If you can make that much for babysitting, I am in the wrong industry. Upon searching my house, I have found that I had some missing liquor bottles, missing movies, missing Wii games, missing PS2 games, and I had a Ruby and Diamond Heart Necklace, Earrings and ring that is gone... The jewlery, the games, the liquor all that is replaceable. Even the check I can deal with. What is irreplaceable is my son's trust. How can an adult steal from a child? I don't understand that. That is what angered me the MOST! In addition, she has cost a single mom who has NEVER gone on state assistance to support her kids to loose her job. I have lost my job, my truck (which was a company vehicle) my medical insurance (I have a blood disorder which needs constant care, not to mention my kids…). All for this girls amusement. I wish there was a website where parents could post their experience with sitters, be it good or bad, so other parents had a "reference" to actually go by...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 11:26 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
As a teenage babysitter, I had my own horror stories.

For some reason I was always babysitting my mothers best friends kids who were holy terrors. The youngest boy would swing from the dining room chandelier and sit on top of the refrigerator. He was a nightmare. I NEVER got paid for watching those little gremlins.

I was also asked to watch my fathers friends son when he was 3 years old. He had just been given a matchbox car that had a switch on the bottom and when the switch was turned on the wheels would turn. He put the car on his head and before I knew it, his hair was wrapped up in that car! Nothing was going to get that car out but a pair of scissors. Needless to say, this was not a good night.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:19 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
I don't have any babysitter horror stories. I only had a sitter a few times and I used adults, one a co-worker/friend and another a relative. I don't have any daycare horror stories either. Now, school teachers, that's another subject. I do have school teacher horror stories. I'm glad my son is a teenager now and past the babysitter stage. It is scary leaving your kids with others.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:34 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,239 times
Well I don't have kids , but can I just say that when your kids are bratty the babysitter can look bad! Sometimes its hard to control kids who aren't yours as we've probably all expierienced Heres a horror story about babysitting.

I had been babysitting since I was 13 and all the way through highschool. I had even become CPR certified and taken babysitting courses but these three kids were too much for me.

When I was 16 I babysat 3 boys for a very wealthy family and the kids were used to running rampid and getting whatever they want.. Their ages were 11 ,8 and 6 .... They wanted to go outside and jump on their trampoline and I took them , and they started to get too rough and so I said enough and we were gonna go inside and play a game. On the way into the house they continued to be rough and bad mouth me and push and shove.. We got into the porch and the cat was sitting on the lanai table. The middle kid ran to the cat, picked him up and started to make the cat dance and just be mean.. I told him to stop, and walked towards him to take away the cat.. He instead launched the cat into the air right into the pool. I then had to take the next 5 mins trying to use a pool skimmer to dish the now frantic cat out of the pool while the boys were inside practically killing each other. I never babysat for them again, but the parents gave me $100 for the night so that kinda made it worth my time

Old 07-05-2008, 07:57 PM

193 posts, read 542,631 times
i got the babysitter from a friend that was moving and i needed somebody on a daily basis but i couldn't pay her as much as my friend was. we settied on a amount everything was fine for about a month. then I would ask my daughter what she did today she would say watch tv. always the same thing. Well one day i left the house and came back about a hour later cuase i had forgotten something. Well i found the babysitter sleeping in my bedroom and my daughter watching tv. IT seems that the amount i was paying her had not been enough so she was working a night job also. and the making my daughter watch tv all day so she could sleep.........i was very upset. if it had not been enough she should had said something

Old 07-05-2008, 10:48 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times
babysitter surprise

My favorite is when I was 16 and I was babysitting the Capps brothers 5 & 7. Well to make a long story short, I got myself handcuffed to their headboard by those two little rascals...Surprise, REAL handcuffs...NO KEY. Poor kids really didn't realize it and me neither
No cell phones then, no way to contact their parents or mine.
SO I did what any other person would do. I had the oldest call the operator (no 911 then) and ask for the police....
Yeah well they did come and let me go. The cops had a real big laugh out of it , especially since their dad was cop there too! That story circulated around for quite a while. And the boys, years later, always refered to me as that lady we handcuffed.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:14 PM

71 posts, read 274,493 times
lol @ that last one...although it had to be quite embarassing!

I think my most akward babysitting experience was babysitting a family member when I was like 13. We were watching a kids movie, when I saw the mailman pulling up to the mailbox. I dashed outside really quick to get the mail. I should have just ignored it...because by the time I got back to the front door, I'd been locked out. So, I'm standing outside on the porch like a moron, begging and pleading for her to open the door. Finally, I ran around the house looking for an open window. Thankfully there was one..and I had to crawl back in the house. Grr.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:58 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,955 times
Yes, I have a horror babysitting story that happened to me, my sister and brother. At the time, I was 5, my sister was 7, and my brother was 2. My parents were simply having dinner with some friends who only lived a block away. The babysitter was referred to them by another couple. She was about 16 or 17 at the time. My parents were only going to be gone for maybe 2 hours.

Well, she seemed all nice and sweet. However, about 15 minutes after my parents left, she called her boyfriend to come over. He decided to call up some of his friends to hang out as well. Before you knew it, there was around 20 teenagers in our house. They started lighting cigarrettes, making out, going through my parent's liquor cabinet, drawers, the bedrooms, etc.

My sister, brother and I were petrified to say the least!! We decided to hide in our parent's closet (which was big at the time). We finally heard our names being called by our babysitter and her boyfriend saying "Come out, come out wherever you are...you little s**ts!! Her boyfriend finally found us. When he did, he lit a match and in a menacing tone said if we ever told our parents, he would set the entire house on fire. All I can remember is all of us crying hysterically.

Fortunately, the teens in our house, were making A LOT of noise! Unbeknownst to them, my father (and his friend) heard the rackett coming from down the block. So they decided to investigate. I can't begin to tell you the RELIEF we felt when my dad and his friend walked in on our babysitter and her friends. Needless to say, the police were called and this girl, her boyfriend and another friend were arrested. Also, since my dad knew the girl's parents, he immediately called them. I think she got grounded for the entire rest of the year.

It's amazing how much of it I still remember. It was the scariest thing to ever happen to us. As a side note, we never had another babysitter again that wasn't an adult.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:48 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
One time when I was the babysitter....the parents first said to me,"Here's the booze...help yourself." I nearly died. I was 17 for crying out loud. Anyway, when they got home...3 hours late...the father gave me a ride home. An hour later, when I was in bed, his wife called asking where he was. Like I would know?? He was drunk and crashed into a telephone pole...I didn't babysit for them again.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:25 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,231 times
From about age 13 till I was grown, I had a fairly fluorishing babysitting clientele in our small town. Some of the kids were sweet, several veryenergetic and a few holy terrors.

I remember babysitting kids from two new families in one of the families' home.
About 2 am, with the young ones in bed, I was sitting on the couch, reading and trying to stay awake, when the visiting 3 year old boy walked right past me without saying anything. He went to the opposite corner of the quite large livingroom. I was wondering what he was up to. I realized but too late. He had taken a whiz on the carpet and the drapes! He then turned around and I followed him as he went back and crawled into bed. He was still sound asleep! In his own home, he probably would have been in the bathroom. As it was, I had to hurry and sponge up the "accident" before the parents got home.

Another time when I was about 15, I was taking care of three kids for the first time. The boys were 8 and 9 and the girl 6. They were very big for their ages and terrors from the minute the door closed as the parents left. They were aggressive and doing anything they could think of to antagonize each other and to get my goat. Finally, the 8 year-old, standing right behind me called my name. As I turned around, he spat fully in my face. As a reflex and without thinking, I spat back in his face. He burst out crying. His two siblings were shocked by this and got very quiet. He and I went into the bathroom and washed our faces. I then asked the kids to get ready for bed which they did. I asked them for apologies for their behavior that evening and told them that I expected us to get along without problems when we saw each other again.

I knew I had to tell the parents about this which I wasn't looking forward to.
The dad was about 6'4" and I wasn't sure how they'd react. They listened to me, quietly apologized for the kids and I never expected to hear from them again. I was more than surprised to get a call from the mom mid-week to sit the next Saturday evening. With trepidation, I agreed and the kids were basically fine from there on out. They confessed that dad had laid down the law and, though the parents didn't spank, dad's tone had made believers out of each of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting