Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:39 PM

741 posts, read 1,289,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
(1) If the police officer listened to the message and didn't hear any problem, why did the staff call?

(2) Why didn't the staff call her directly?
Just to clarify I still not sure why the staff did not call me directly weird. As far as I understand it they called the police to have somebody check on me, but from what the police were saying they did not hear the message or really know anything about it other than it was allegedly long and nonsensical. I have to say by the time the officer left he was as confused as I was at least that made me feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 10:42 PM

741 posts, read 1,289,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I wonder if the office kept the message and could let you listen to it.
I wonder too I'm almost afraid to hear it haha. As far as I recall I was just sitting in my office, call them on my cell phone, and proceeded to leave a synopsis of why I needed to reschedule, my name, my phone number, the patient's name, the date of birth, and all the other little pieces of information their voicemail message said that they wanted to be left in voicemail. I do remember speaking somewhat lower than normal just trying not to disturb anyone sitting around me, and I do have a cold right now maybe everything going on coalesced to make the message sound horrible.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:57 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
There could also have been interference from a nearby cell signal, so two different phone calls were coming across at the same time. That sometimes happens with my phone. In any case, you won't know for sure unless you talk to the receptionist or nurse and ask what sounded so off about your message.

Also, please do talk to your kids, who I think are fairly young, and emphasize that the officers came to help, which is a good thing, even though it was all a silly misunderstanding. Also, ensure that they know what constitutes an emergency and how to call 911 if one happens.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Talk directly with the doctor in private. He/she needs to know. This may not be the first time his staff has acted weirdly.
A doctor's staff runs the office the way the doctor(s) wants it run. It would be very unusual for a front desk person to make a decision to call the police for a welfare check on her own.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:06 AM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Guess I am clueless, but didn't quite see why this was so embarrassing. It was a well-meant, unintentional mistake. If it happened to me I'd probably tell them the outcome, thank them for their concern, and maybe do a little gentle teasing about the quality of the phone connection, and go on with life.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:17 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
I wouldn't be embarrassed, I would be *angry.* I would also want a full explanation of why the police were called and why your calls were not returned. I would want this before having anything further to do with that particular doctor.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:03 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,807,707 times
Come on people - although embarrassing that the police were called - there obviously was something in the message that caused concern - whether it be poor phone reception that distorted words or whatever. A wellness call would be much more effective in the case of a medical emergency than a call back from the dr's office.

I'm confused as the OP says she called and the police came to her home but then says that she placed the phone calls from her office and was speaking low so as not to disturb those around her.

OP what time frame are we talking about? Did you leave the messages while at work and then once you got home - the police came? If those messages were left earlier in the day and not reviewed until later by the office staff - the right call would have been immediately to call the police for a wellness check rather than a call back. If something had happened - you needed help immediately.

Be grateful someone cared enough to be concerned and call the police. I've had patients lay with broken hips for up to 5 days as no one checked on them.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:20 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
Are you kidding me ? you are apologizing for this mishap and embarrassment ? I would be so annoyed at this drs office it is not funny not at all and I would have been looking for a new dr the minute those police officers left my driveway . How embarrassing for you and I sympathize . Good luck to you whatever you decide to do .

Old 05-05-2018, 06:05 AM

662 posts, read 1,645,179 times
It was probably interference from another call! I do transcription, so I've heard a lot of that type of stuff in recorded phone calls. Someone will be talking, then there's a slight crackle or fuzz and part of someone else's conversation from a nearby mobile cuts in, just like "--egg McMuffin!" If you're not of good hearing, or using headphones like I do, a casual listener might not be able to tell that it's interference.

I hope that was the case! Hopefully they still have the message so you can listen to it. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2018, 06:09 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
I'd go in person Mon. ans thank them for their concern....and tell them that you'd like to hear the voicemail...could be their darn machine is glitched....who knows. You certainly have nothing to be embarrassed about....more grateful for a caring office staff imo.

Laugh it off....you'll think of something cute....they are likely embarrassed too....but they aired on the side of caution....a very good thing.

And, please update. Can't wait to hear what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting