Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 06:53 AM

584 posts, read 871,839 times

Advertisements

It will be early in the day and its a water park so they will be in bathing suits. The girls never gave me a reason not to trust them but im still on the fence with this.
I like all the advice you provided so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 09:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
My daughter would like to celebrate her 14th birthday at an amusement park with 3 of her close friends from school. Do you think its necessary a parent chaperone at the park with them or ok to drop them off and stay nearby in case they are needed?
As long as the group doesn't get any bigger than that, I'd say it's fine, if it's OK with the park. Another option would be for you, OP, to bring a friend and just enjoy yourselves at a long distance from the girls. Then you don't have to make two trips to the park, either.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
It isn't just the girls. It is about the park, the area and the population nearby. Some places are family safe until sunset, but they change after sunset. The OP does not mention time of day. The girls should be dressed modestly so they do not attract unwanted attention.
Good points. We used to occasionally go to a major amusement park during the day with our family. One time I went with our teenage daughter and a few of her friends for an evening at the same park. I was absolutely shocked at the change in atmosphere. There were large, roving groups of young men in their late teens and early 20s (some of whom were drunk or at least drinking). It certainly was not a place where I would have felt comfortable with my daughter (age 15 or 16 at the time) attending with just a few girlfriends.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:04 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
My 13 and 15 y.o teens spend almost every day at an amusement park. They have season passes and dining passes. I don't see any danger? Actually, going to buy swimming pool season passes tomorrow, so they could swim mid-day when it's hot.

What type of an amusement park are you talking about? Here, it is a Six Flags park, but inside the city (accessible by buses and metro).

Old 07-01-2018, 02:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
It will be early in the day and its a water park so they will be in bathing suits. The girls never gave me a reason not to trust them but im still on the fence with this.
I like all the advice you provided so far.
First time for this sort of venture is always the hardest on the parents. I know. The group has proven themselves trustful so far, let them continue to do so. If you're really nervous stay close by. Rules should be clear. Group stays together being the biggest one. Exact time they should be prepared to leave the water park, no stragglers. As time goes by with these sort of outings you'll feel more comfortable.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:16 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
I would just add to the "stay together" rule that no one even goes to the bathroom alone. Always with a buddy there. There are too many cases of predators grabbing or trying to grab girls from public bathrooms. Not likely to happen, but you can't be too safe.

Example:

http://www.wfmz.com/news/berks/polic...oint/502850978

Old 07-01-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
First time for this sort of venture is always the hardest on the parents. I know. The group has proven themselves trustful so far, let them continue to do so. If you're really nervous stay close by. Rules should be clear. Group stays together being the biggest one. Exact time they should be prepared to leave the water park, no stragglers. As time goes by with these sort of outings you'll feel more comfortable.
I agree.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:09 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattaty25 View Post
But what if she loses her phone? Find my phone does just that..finds the phone...not the child! Why not put a tracker in your child??
Are you serious?

Old 07-02-2018, 07:39 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
My kids went to amusement parks with friends all the time. Water parks, Disneyland, etc. And that was before cell phones! Having cell phones to connect with them back in the day would've been fabulous. But, I have to say, they were all responsible, never got into trouble, were very good at being on time at our pre-arranged pick up point.

They knew if they messed up, we wouldn't let them go again.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My kids went to amusement parks with friends all the time. Water parks, Disneyland, etc. And that was before cell phones! Having cell phones to connect with them back in the day would've been fabulous. But, I have to say, they were all responsible, never got into trouble, were very good at being on time at our pre-arranged pick up point.

They knew if they messed up, we wouldn't let them go again.
It isn't always the kids' fault. Things happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting