Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 05:18 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No, hardly anyone has been helpful. Thanks to those who had helpful suggestions. I asked for recipes, not a lecture, and when did I get angry?

I’m not angry at all, just amused, and bemused, at the responses.
Sorry, then. "Never mind" sounded a bit like a flounce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 09:08 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,008,537 times
My mum used to make her own popcycles by freezing fruit juice (orange or grape mostly) after placing a popcycle stick in them. She also gave us more sweet ones for summer, like freezing Kool-Aide type drinks, but we were old enough to brush the sugar off our teeth then. And, she also froze fruit cocktail with a bit of the juice (probably not a good idea for a baby) or put peaches in the blender, then froze them... my little sister loved those ones when teething. They were tasty & with 7 kids, it was more of a way to save $ & everyone's friends were welcome to unlimited popcycles, which was nice. Not sure this is the flavor a baby would prefer, but my sister still makes her own sweetened iced tea popcycles.

I'm unsure if a 6-mo old is too small to handle any of the above, but the nice thing is today there are all sorts of tray sizes & shapes, some made from flexible silicone to easily remove cubes.

Also, when we were teething, my mum used a warm washcloth instead of cold. I'm unsure why... maybe that's what worked, as each kid is different. I remember my youngest sister crying with teething pain... seemed to hit her the hardest with fever & pain. I swear she cried for a year. But, when chewing on a hot cloth, it seemed to give her relief.

Oh, & at the risk of sounding silly, since babies drink milk, would frozen milkcycles work? Even if a bit of chocolate or flavored powder were put into them?

Good luck with the wee one. Please post back to tell us what worked.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:57 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
I wouldn't give fruit juice popsicles to a little kid, even besides the choking risk, for the same reason you're not supposed to give fruit juice in a bottle. Prolonged contact with condensed sugar like that is bad for baby teeth.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:34 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
They have a product with a mesh. It's meant to hold cold things (like strawberries, grapes, etc) in it. Popsicles are high in sugar... But I suppose if the child is already drinking juice, you probably could freeze them and put it in the mesh.

https://www.target.com/p/munchkin-fr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I was going to suggest the same product!

You can use an ice cube tray to freeze fruit/vegetable purees and then put one of the "ice cubes" in these.

I had these with my oldest when he was a baby. The only disadvantage was that they looked stained up, even with cleaning, after multiple uses.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
At 6 months, all of my babies were still exclusively breast- or formula-fed, so I gave them frozen washcloths to know on. At little older, 9 months or so, frozen fruit in a mesh feeder.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:15 AM

407 posts, read 370,461 times
Mesh feeders are great. You can put cut up melon, some strawberries, etc. in the freezer for a little bit (so that they're very cold, but not completely frozen). Then put them in the mesh feeder and you're good to go.

The suggestion of frozen washcloths is also a good one - we used those a lot.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:54 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
We did frozen washcloths and teething toys. You can find them at stores like Target. I do not think frozen popsicles are appropriate for a six month old.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:26 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,736,186 times
My sister found these to use instead of the mesh ones. They are much easier to clean.

OP- no recipe needed. Just freeze some fruit chunks! My youngest niece is 8 months old. She loved sucking and mashing her frozen fruit! She doesn't want them now, lol. She only wants the real thing with her four teeth.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:26 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,312 times
As someone else suggested use a mesh feeder. You can put frozen fruit in those and not have to worry about choking. I'd also be sure to run by anything you intend to feed the baby with the parents, first.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:29 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I wouldn't give fruit juice popsicles to a little kid, even besides the choking risk, for the same reason you're not supposed to give fruit juice in a bottle. Prolonged contact with condensed sugar like that is bad for baby teeth.
On a hot day the "contact" you speak of wouldn't be for long at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting