Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 01:16 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
https://www.parenting.com/article/as...-a-sids-danger

Dr. Sears has two books on the subject: The Baby Sleep Book and SIDS: A Parent's Guide to Understanding and Preventing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
The link provided the story written by Sears but the link to his bio was dead. In reading the article I see that it mentions some small studies approving of the bed sharing experience (but calling it co-sleeping) but says nothing about the research upon which the Academy of Pediatrics based its stance that the experience presents a danger, not specifically related to SIDS.

Sears states "Co-sleeping is as safe as the conditions you practice" but says nothing of the converse upon which the professional organizations base their opinion. I prefer to go with the consensus of professional opinion rather than a single man's based largely on what is practiced in his own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was successfully treated for adrenal fatigue by a European doctor living in the US, some years ago, after being turned away by insurance-based endocrinologists. The endos didn't deny the condition existed. They refused to consider that I had it, and required me to wait until I was literally on death's doorstep, before they'd take my case. I don't want to get into a long story here, to hijack the thread. I find it interesting that you say that Health Canada denies it's real condition, when you can look at endocrinologists' websites anywhere in Canada, and find that they list it as a condition they treat, along with thyroid, diabetes, etc.

I read Dr. Wilson's book decades ago. It was before he offered a supplement regime. Supplements are ineffective, unless they're hormonal supplements. But at least his book offered information to patients suffering in the darkness, the void of medical expertise on the issue.
You and your "European doctor" (of whatever credentials) may have agreed to call your condition adrenal fatigue but that does not indicate that any professional organization nor health plan, government or not, recognizes that such a condition exists. I suspect that's why endocrinologists here would not treat such a "diagnosis."

My statement that Health Canada does not recognize adrenal fatigue as a bona fide condition is based on my reading on Health Canada's website; I welcome any citation that disproves such a contention. Whatever any individual endocrinologist elects to do regarding such a "condition" is beyond the scope of this discussion and does nothing to disprove anything I have stated here.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:35 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The link provided the story written by Sears but the link to his bio was dead. In reading the article I see that it mentions some small studies approving of the bed sharing experience (but calling it co-sleeping) but says nothing about the research upon which the Academy of Pediatrics based its stance that the experience presents a danger, not specifically related to SIDS.

Sears states "Co-sleeping is as safe as the conditions you practice" but says nothing of the converse upon which the professional organizations base their opinion. I prefer to go with the consensus of professional opinion rather than a single man's based largely on what is practiced in his own home.
Here you go. https://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/. Don’t just read the link but the whole website. Lots of info.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Here you go. https://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/. Don’t just read the link but the whole website. Lots of info.
I will not read an entire website, thank you.

I would note the highly cautionary nature of the article, an opinion written not by the medical community but by an individual Phd. which includes, in bold, "I do not recommend to any parents any particular type of sleeping arrangement since I do not know the circumstances within which particular parents live."

Old 02-03-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:

I would note the highly cautionary nature of the article, an opinion written not by the medical community but by an individual Phd. which includes, in bold, "I do not recommend to any parents any particular type of sleeping arrangement since I do not know the circumstances within which particular parents live."
Lol

Old 02-04-2019, 12:09 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
Quote:

Well, those with PhDs are usually the people doing all the research. The AAP will study the research and make their recommendations, but it's usually PhDs or MD/PhDs doing the research and not practicing MDs.

Safe co-sleeping has many requirements that most parents are not smart enough or diligent enough to follow, or simply can not physically follow (like if they are unable to breastfeed or take certain necessary medications). The AAP will never and should never recommend co-sleeping when it can't be done safely by so many. Dads can't do it. Bottlefeeding parents can't do it. You have to have a firm mattress. You can't use heavy blankets. No drinking, no smoking, no drugs (not even prescription meds that affect your sleep or attention). Just as a start. However, that does not make those who follow the rules and co-sleep safely wrong. Co-rooming is safer for everyone though. Baby, in it's own space, in the same room garners some protection from SIDS no matter who the parents are.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
(snip)

Safe co-sleeping has many requirements that most parents are not smart enough or diligent enough to follow, or simply can not physically follow (like if they are unable to breastfeed or take certain necessary medications). The AAP will never and should never recommend co-sleeping when it can't be done safely by so many. Dads can't do it. Bottlefeeding parents can't do it.

You have to have a firm mattress. You can't use heavy blankets. No drinking, no smoking, no drugs (not even prescription meds that affect your sleep or attention). Just as a start. However, that does not make those who follow the rules and co-sleep safely wrong. Co-rooming is safer for everyone though. Baby, in it's own space, in the same room garners some protection from SIDS no matter who the parents are.
Great points. While co-sleeping works well for some families it does not work well for all families.

Multiple times a year there is another death in my city due to poor/inappropriate co-sleeping behavior. Whether it is the tiny baby crushed to death between the parent & the wall or back of the couch, likely suffocated by one of the soft pillows on the bed, the drunk parent whose baby died "mysteriously" during the night, or any number of reasons I just cringe when I hear the news story. And, I bet that there are many babies that die that do not hit the news or are reported with a different cause of death.

BTW, I breast fed my son until he was almost two years old and my daughter until she was three and never felt that it was an difficulty to have them sleeping in their own bedrooms.

I also did not use a baby monitor (they were not that common when my children were young) and felt that both of my children "self-soothed" so much better than what others said about their babies. While I clearly heard when they would cry or need attention I did not hear (and wake up and rush to respond to) every little burp, whimper or time they passed gas during their naps or when they were asleep.

Perhaps, it is because (before I had children) I knew a couple of parents who continued to co-sleep with their youngest every night until they were (IMHO) too old first and second grade (and many nights beyond that) and constantly complained about how they (the parents) could never get a good night's sleep. Now, maybe you still have a family bed or co-sleep with your toddler, preschooler, six, seven or eight year old and it may work well for your family, but it does not work for all children or for all families.

PS. I have known several families that combined co-sleeping with co-rooming by attaching the crib to the side of the marital bed. Easy access to baby but quite safe (if done correctly). That may work for your family, too.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Well, those with PhDs are usually the people doing all the research. The AAP will study the research and make their recommendations, but it's usually PhDs or MD/PhDs doing the research and not practicing MDs.

Safe co-sleeping has many requirements that most parents are not smart enough or diligent enough to follow, or simply can not physically follow (like if they are unable to breastfeed or take certain necessary medications). The AAP will never and should never recommend co-sleeping when it can't be done safely by so many. Dads can't do it. Bottlefeeding parents can't do it. You have to have a firm mattress. You can't use heavy blankets. No drinking, no smoking, no drugs (not even prescription meds that affect your sleep or attention). Just as a start. However, that does not make those who follow the rules and co-sleep safely wrong. Co-rooming is safer for everyone though. Baby, in it's own space, in the same room garners some protection from SIDS no matter who the parents are.
Fathers co-sleep, bottlefeeding parents co-sleep; there is no breastfeeding requirement in using the term. You're now attempting to redefine a term to your individual standards. Even Sears uses co-sleeping to describe what most involved call bed-sharing.

If your main concern is the utility of a PhD please realize that there are no doubt more PhD holders involved in pumping gas and waiting on tables than in any kind of research. Adding those initials to one's name does nothing by itself to enhance the qualifications of a writer speaking to a topic of discussion but many will simply equate the suffix with some type of expertise when absolutely none is required to write that article.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Fathers co-sleep, bottlefeeding parents co-sleep; there is no breastfeeding requirement in using the term. You're now attempting to redefine a term to your individual standards. Even Sears uses co-sleeping to describe what most involved call bed-sharing.

If your main concern is the utility of a PhD please realize that there are no doubt more PhD holders involved in pumping gas and waiting on tables than in any kind of research. Adding those initials to one's name does nothing by itself to enhance the qualifications of a writer speaking to a topic of discussion but many will simply equate the suffix with some type of expertise when absolutely none is required to write that article.
The poster was referring to safe bedsharing practices. The PHD from the link that you won’t read is an expert in cosleeping.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The poster was referring to safe bedsharing practices. The PHD from the link that you won’t read is an expert in cosleeping.
What makes him an expert? Is it anything beyond self-proclamation? That is the key point here. Has he done research himself? What is his knowledge of medicine and science? What, exactly, is his PhD in? Does he work with others or simply compile information from random sources? Is his advice objective or simply provided to support his own opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting