Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You (or Do You) Let Teens Smoke Pot
Yes 12 13.19%
No 72 79.12%
Undecided or unsure 7 7.69%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 03:38 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,086,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
The "its not worse than alcohol" argument still doesn't make me support teens using it. It affects developing minds and so does alcohol. So no to either and that's why its illegal for teens to use either. Sure some people use it and are fine but it turns other kids into losers. Why take the chance.
Actually alcohol is many degrees worse from a health/social impact stance but you dont see such extreme views towards it. Cigarettes are the worst but you can buy those at 18, no problem.

I’ll advise my teens not to indulge in these substances and to stay clear of anything illegal and hope they’ll have enough sense not to until they are adults( legal age and adults aren’t necessarily the same thing) but i wont sit there and act like pot is somehow worse than drinking or smoking cigarettes. They are all potentially addictive though some will kill you faster and in more ways than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 11:41 PM

38 posts, read 71,731 times
I have a 12y/o, and as we all know time flies and I will eventually approach this issue.

I have imbibed in all of the good stuff when I was younger, did a few "Fear and Loathing" type road trips too. But, when I say "younger", I mean I was in my 20's before I started experimenting.
I began experimenting when I already had a CAREER and a car payment, plus I eventually added a house payment during those fun years. I always had a reason to "hit the brakes" as a young adult and not take things too far, I had bills.

My son will NOT be allowed to do any thing that I personally don't approve of. I am very stern, however, I am also open with him that once he becomes responsible, I will not look down on him for doing CERTAIN things. Alcohol, weed, coke, shrooms are OK in my book for occasional experimenting for a responsible person. I'll never be OK with cigs/tobacco, opioids, etc.

I feel any parent who allows: drugs, tattoos, laziness,hair coloring, etc is ruining their child's future life. I almost would like to say "no" to girlfriends because they can be distracting, but I'll be cool about that unless a problem occurs. I also NEVER tell my kid he is special. I let him know he needs to prove himself, and he can consider himself special as he accomplishes things. I ALWAYS support him. Kids nowadays are fragile, weak, dependent. Kids raised "old school" will command higher pay, power, respect and freedom. Those who live in their parents basement with a collection of participation trophies, smoking weed with cool tattoos and hair color will be stuck with the Camry hand-me-down and applying for social benefits when the parents pass on.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:33 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,735,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by made in china View Post
I have a 12y/o, and as we all know time flies and I will eventually approach this issue.

I have imbibed in all of the good stuff when I was younger, did a few "Fear and Loathing" type road trips too. But, when I say "younger", I mean I was in my 20's before I started experimenting.
I began experimenting when I already had a CAREER and a car payment, plus I eventually added a house payment during those fun years. I always had a reason to "hit the brakes" as a young adult and not take things too far, I had bills.

My son will NOT be allowed to do any thing that I personally don't approve of. I am very stern, however, I am also open with him that once he becomes responsible, I will not look down on him for doing CERTAIN things. Alcohol, weed, coke, shrooms are OK in my book for occasional experimenting for a responsible person. I'll never be OK with cigs/tobacco, opioids, etc.

I feel any parent who allows: drugs, tattoos, laziness,hair coloring, etc is ruining their child's future life. I almost would like to say "no" to girlfriends because they can be distracting, but I'll be cool about that unless a problem occurs. I also NEVER tell my kid he is special. I let him know he needs to prove himself, and he can consider himself special as he accomplishes things. I ALWAYS support him. Kids nowadays are fragile, weak, dependent. Kids raised "old school" will command higher pay, power, respect and freedom. Those who live in their parents basement with a collection of participation trophies, smoking weed with cool tattoos and hair color will be stuck with the Camry hand-me-down and applying for social benefits when the parents pass on.
Come back in 10 years and let us know how it turns out. LOL!

Signed,

Successful business owner with pink hair and a tattoo (never tried cocaine or shrooms, though, so it's a wonder I'm not still living in my parents' basement... )

Old 02-27-2019, 08:01 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,043,460 times
When my 2 boys were younger...like the oldest was in 5th grade I think, and my youngest was in 3rd, we were just kind of hanging out and talking, as they were winding down and getting ready for bed. I told them 8th grade would probably be the worst year of their lives, and they might be tempted to use drugs, but if they could get through 8th grade WITHOUT using drugs, they'd probably be OK for life with regards to addiction.

I don't think I was wrong, and neither of my boys have addiction issues. I'm not around them 24/7, so I'm not going to say they've never tried anything they shouldn't have...but they've got their lives under control, and they've never gotten themselves in legal trouble.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:13 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,043,460 times
Hair color? Good grief. It's the easiest and most temporary form of self expression out there. Neither of my boys wanted to color their hair...but I would've let them, if they wanted to.

I did put my foot down, when my youngest was in kindergarden, and wanted a green mohawk like his friend Gunther.

When my youngest was in high school, he let his thick, gorgeous black hair grow to the middle of his back, and I was completely fine with that. My thought on that was "You're only young once, and you don't have to conform to societal pressure on THAT just yet."

Old 02-27-2019, 09:35 AM

Location: Forest Service Cabin-90% of the yr. Sis & I inherited it and I bought her out.
175 posts, read 125,468 times
Yes, but they are taught it is for medical emergencies.

We have one joint in the house from when my father in law passed away suddenly. I got it from someone who grows it, from high school. Helped my wife cope for a few days.

I think we've drank alcohol maybe 4x this year.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:57 AM

880 posts, read 533,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by made in china View Post
My parents were "made in china" and raised us that way. But little rebellious me, had boyfriends, smoked, dyed my hair, got tattoos and piercings. The more i rebelled the stricter they got, the better i got at lying to them and sneaking around.
Today I am a educated, professional, homeowner that has a very strained and difficult relationship with my parents. I am all for raising my children with traditional values, but i recommend you give them a little freedom to express themselves.

To answer the OP. I smoke pot on rare occasions, never in the presence of my kids, i would not all them to smoke in my house, but if i found out they did it with friends, i wouldn't be mad.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:06 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,565,475 times
No, in general I didn't let my kids do illegal activities.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:01 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,108,230 times
No I wouldn't because I want to be a good influence on my children and to set an example on them.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:26 PM

9,438 posts, read 11,191,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just curious what most parents on this forum think today.
No. Drugs are dumb. Users are losers. Get high on life. It's called "dope"--not "smart"--for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting