Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 10:47 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
This has to be a troll because I cannot believe a parent knows so little of their child that they cannot come up with a present for Christmas. Incredible.
He didn't say the kid was his son in the initial post …
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 10:48 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
My son never wanted anything. One year he asked for a box of cookies.
Maybe he enjoys giving more than receiving? Why not see if he would be interested in giving some toys over to the local children's hospital for Christmas?

Some people do not need/want things and instead take joy in giving to others.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:11 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,188 times
Sounds like a healthy, stable kid.

Keep up the good work..

Old 12-12-2019, 05:44 PM
ptt ptt started this thread

497 posts, read 637,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Maybe he enjoys giving more than receiving? Why not see if he would be interested in giving some toys over to the local children's hospital for Christmas?

Some people do not need/want things and instead take joy in giving to others.
Thank you for your input. We actually been doing that every year he would pick a few kids from ‘one simple wish’who asked for toys or other stuff that he could afford to buy from his own savings.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:11 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
I do know what’s his hobbies are. Please, don’t quickly judged from a few sentences. He is into plants, his green house is full of things he grow, some are dead. But he just didn’t want plants as a gift in winter.
There is much more to a greenhouse than the plants in it. Growing lights, growing structures, places to walk, etc.

Anything that might be used to "upgrade" the greenhouse is a potential gift idea.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:00 AM

1,746 posts, read 880,219 times
Quote:
GraceKrispy , Thank you! You reminded me about a weight blanket that i got my son from Costco! He loves it so much that he took it with him on a sleepover:-)

elan , thanks for your great ideas. He has a few tools and Such. He used to keen on Bonsai a few year back.

Ruth4Truth, my son and i been to quite a few science exploratorium. He is more into cells and body functions. Thank you for the book idea i just ordered it from Amazon.

If he's into those things, perhaps a trip to this exhibit: https://bodyworlds.com/exhibitions/human/

It has received really good reviews and is quite educational.

Also, possibly a book or two about the Rain Forests, since he has an interest in plants. Or one of those Aero Gardens (or similar brands) so he can grow things in his room during the winter?

I know how tough it can be to gift to someone who isn't materialistic at all. My son is 28 now and I still have a hard time know what he would like so most times it's just cash to help pay rent, groceries, etc.

When he was young I use to ask him to make a list because so many grandparents, aunts, etc. wanted to buy for him. One year, he listed a new bed pillow and new boxers as his only wants. I ended up taking him to Red Sox spring training each year since he was/is a Red Sox fan. Good times and I still go each year by myself now.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:25 AM

1,159 posts, read 620,576 times
Quote:
12 years old boy who never knew what he wanted. Once He asked for a green House and got what he wanted even though it took him several weekends to complete. He asked for a few plants in the past and gummies. Some year we didn’t have any gift under the tree at all because I don’t know what he wanted.
Is this your child? A family members child? The only reason I could think of why you aren't sure of what to give the boy is because he isn't yours. People seem to be assuming the kid is yours..

Old 12-21-2019, 09:30 AM

1,159 posts, read 620,576 times
Quote:
My son never wanted anything. One year he asked for a box of cookies.
So this is your son? Well that's just sad....

Old 12-21-2019, 11:44 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
So this is your son? Well that's just sad....
Why is it sad?

The boy is not into *things.* I suggest giving experiences rather than things. If he does not really enjoy getting things, there is no reason why his mom would think that he was.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:39 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
He is an only child. No issues just not really into material stuff. He is into carnivorous plants, growing them and pollinated them. Those plants are expensive he saved up to buy more this coming spring.
Ding ding ding.
Plants, accessories, classes on horticulture, growing lamps, tools, books, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting