Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 07:56 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Wildflower said she woke daughter up to go once during the night. I had forgotten that the pediatrician suggested that and sometimes it helped. Of course that means that a parent needs to get up and do that, without complaining to the child of course. Remain matter-of-fact about it; nothing to be ashamed of. I’ll bet way more kids have this issue than we know.
A lot of parents wake a child up before they themselves go to bed if the child has this problem and it helps. Some kids are just really sound sleepers, especially the active kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 02:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
And then, there's the 3 year old thing. The 2 - 4 yrs older kid can sometimes regress on purpose just to get more attention. Did that petertrician mention that? Should have. If not time for a second opinion.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:37 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Stopped diapering the boys at night after 2 weeks of dry diapers. At ages 8, 3 and 5. Who cares, they grow out of it. I never made the older one feel bad about it. Can't stand grandmas who think they know how to parent your kids better than you do. Its a global problem...

Old 06-05-2020, 07:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicamom3 View Post

I have looked into pull ups that would be more age appropriate, but they are quite a bit more than diapers and imo the same thing. Plus my 3 year old is still a chunky monkey and my 5 year old super slim so they fit in the same size diapers I already have for him and buy in bulk.
Rather than keeping your older son in the same habit as your 3-year-old, it may help if you encourage your 3-year-old to potty train like his older brother.

He's certainly old enough, and eliminating diapers altogether or at least keeping them off during the day would be much cheaper than buying in bulk.

Most younger siblings are very easy to encourage because they want to be like their big siblings.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:52 PM

3,253 posts, read 2,339,853 times
How horrible to shame and punish a child for something he can't control! That's what they did to children in orphanages a hundred+ years ago! I'm sure he desperately wishes he could control it. Your mother is dead wrong on this. Do not let her influence you. Shaming your son could have long-lasting effects. You're his mother, you need to stand up and protect him from her!

Old 06-06-2020, 06:10 PM

337 posts, read 311,272 times
You're not alone. My almost six year old still wets the bed nightly. She wears cloth diapers at night, like her 2.5 year old sibling. No way I'm going to literally throw away money on disposable pull ups.

My understanding is that staying dry all night won't happen until the body releases the proper hormones (one of the previous posts explained this well). And genetics determine when this happens.

The Gorilla brand mattress protectors/incontinence pads work really well. You can find them on Amazon for about $20.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:43 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
You're not alone. My almost six year old still wets the bed nightly. She wears cloth diapers at night, like her 2.5 year old sibling. No way I'm going to literally throw away money on disposable pull ups.

My understanding is that staying dry all night won't happen until the body releases the proper hormones (one of the previous posts explained this well). And genetics determine when this happens.

The Gorilla brand mattress protectors/incontinence pads work really well. You can find them on Amazon for about $20.
I can totally understand bedwetting but you’re still diapering your soon to be six year old? Ditch the diapers! You mention pads and such, use those.

For the life of me I don’t understand why people are using diapers on children who don’t have nighttime control. The six year old is not the same as the 2.5 year old and shouldn’t be diapered like a baby. If you’re against pull-ups then fine don’t use pull-ups. They make things for bedwetting, like inserts in their undies.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:12 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,376 times
This too shall pass. I agree with the advice to get him checked out to make sure it's not an underlying issue, but some kids, especially boys, just seem to take longer, sometimes a lot longer. My son has a friend who wore a pullup at night until he was 9. He didn't wet the bed every night, but often enough for it to be too painful not to use pullups. They would restrict liquid intake, get him to pee before bed etc, and sometimes it helped, sometimes not. Then one day they realized that he hadn't had a wet pullup for several weeks and they never looked back. He just turned 14 yesterday.

Make sure he's not ignoring the urge to pee during the day until he's absolutely bursting, or he'll be inadvertently training himself to ignore the urge at night as well.

It's pretty odd that your mother thinks he's being lazy because he can't yet control a bodily process that is happening when he is literally unconscious. Her disapproval and the anxiety that provokes may actually be making the situation worse. If you talk to him about it, make sure he knows that you believe he's doing his best and you know he will get there when his body is ready.

(And really, who cares whether it's pullups or diapers, it doesn't matter. Whichever you use, he will be acutely aware that they are not big boy undies).

Old 06-07-2020, 09:39 AM

13 posts, read 7,734 times
Thanks for the reply’s everyone. Our pediatrician is aware of the situation and she does not find it alarming at all. Actually said it’s quiet normal and said I would be shocked if I knew how many parents talk to her about there kids still wetting the bed at this age and some much older. I did talk to my mom a little about it yesterday and I brought up pull ups. Again she says there is no difference between a pull up and a diaper and thinks he should just sleep in his undies and thinks peeing on himself will make him stop. I don’t agree with this. Also yesterday at the store I picked up a small pack of the cheap pull ups and put one on him last night. Unfortunately this morning his bed was wet and go figure even with his bed being wet he never woke up till this morning. Washed his bedding and gave him a bath this morning. Might try the pull ups again tonight but if they continue to leak it’s just a waste of money. I might look into a babysitter so I don’t have to have my mom watch them as she is being very upset about the situation. I don’t have a ton of money to spend on a babysitter though. What’s the going rate to pay a babysitter?

Old 06-07-2020, 09:46 AM

337 posts, read 311,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I can totally understand bedwetting but you’re still diapering your soon to be six year old? Ditch the diapers! You mention pads and such, use those.

For the life of me I don’t understand why people are using diapers on children who don’t have nighttime control. The six year old is not the same as the 2.5 year old and shouldn’t be diapered like a baby. If you’re against pull-ups then fine don’t use pull-ups. They make things for bedwetting, like inserts in their undies.
Interesting perspective. I don't understand what's wrong with using diapers on someone who is incontinent, regardless of age. She would rather wear a diaper and have the urine contained, than get pee all over her legs, belly, pajamas, and sheets every night, and wake up in that mess.

There is no shame necessary in wearing a diaper. Many incontinent adults wear Depends.

But, to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting