Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 09:50 AM

162 posts, read 209,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Yes, I'd tell the tracer to leave and never return. Many tests are false positive, anyway. And I'd permanently "social distance" from whoever ratted me out. If adults want to do that to themselves, oh well; but don't drag the kids into this Idiocracy; the movie universe was crazy enough.
Ratted you out? What are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 09:53 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's a global pandemic. It's not like the govt wants to put your kids in cages, like those other children at the border.

This is temporary. If your child developed stomach cancer and was advised not to eat roughage like vegetables for a while, would you go ahead & feed it to him "because all kids need vegetables...letting a hospital take away his right to eat them is wrong." That would land you in jail for child abuse.

I'm sorry you are so uninformed that you don't understand contact tracing. That's been done since the beginning of time. It's how you know where an illness is coming from. It's partly how we prevented Ebola from going beyond 2 cases. It's no more than common sense: If your kid comes in bitten by a dog, you rush him to the hospital...and you don't ask where it happened, what dog? That's contact tracing. DUH.

Because of the refusal of people to follow the public health guidelines, states may have to start making the guidelines mandatory, like Texas just did in some areas.

Living in a society has obligations to do what is necessary for the public health. Decent, normal citizens don't walk around spreading a disease or endangering the health of others. They certainly wouldn't want other people with contagious illnesses doing that to them. If someone doesn't want to be a good member of society, he can always live on an island.

Wear your mask. Socially distance. It's the public health guidelines and the right thing to do. Don't be a Typhoid Mary.
They used to do it with certain STD's. Maybe they still do, IDK. But it was important with regard to the STD's that develop serious, debilitating symptoms if left unchecked.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:58 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
I know my sister and brother in law basically have gone nowhere since March. They let the kids out have gone on rides but that’s about it. Sister in law is anxious in general so I can’t say I’m surprised. None of them are high risk though so it seems a little ridiculous at this point.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:43 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It means gave my name to the tracers.

I agree. States are reopening left and right. Quarantine order are even being overturned in some courts. 'Rona is on its last legs. Just get out and enjoy life, for crying out loud. And let kids do the same.
I think people need to be cautious of course but people like my sister in law who is a weirdo will have weird kids.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:46 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I think people need to be cautious of course but people like my sister in law who is a weirdo will have weird kids.
Think what you want. And you may very well be correct. Do you say those things to your SIL? Would it matter if you did?

Old 07-04-2020, 08:30 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
I don't think its child abuse. Its a judgement call every parent has to make for themselves. If you tell the mother to let the kids out, and she does, and the kids get sick and die - its going to be your fault her kids got sick and died. She listened to YOU!

Get some ear plugs if the sounds of children playing bothers you.

Old 07-04-2020, 09:16 AM

7,997 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Folks, this is the PARENTING forum. This thread needs to get back on topic, or it will be closed.

Happy Fourth!
~June

Old 07-14-2020, 05:37 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selling home View Post
The people who live next door have two kids ages 6 and 10 years old. I have not seen them since about March 1st. But I hear them every day running and pounding on the walls of their townhouse.

I did see their mother out on the porch and asked about the kids and she said that since the COVID-19 virus started to be an issue she has not allowed the kids to go outside their home. That has been almost four months now with no end in sight.

I don't believe it would be possible for my three kids to stay at home trapped in the house for that long 24/7. They would go nuts and act out. I don't even know if it is healthy to stay indoors 24/7 as kids. In my travels outside, I have seen more kids outside during the last four months than any time since I was a kid 30 years ago. The walking path near my home is jammed with adults and kids, bikes are sold out and everywhere, parks are jammed and kids are playing noncontact sports. But the kids next door remain trapped in their home 24/7. Your thoughts?
My thoughts are that unless you have witnessed actual abuse, you need to mind your own business.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:17 PM

If people are still afraid to let kids out of the house in places where numbers are good or are improving then they’re in for a long ride. This isn’t gonna be over anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting