Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 02:35 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post

He's already filed his taxes. Legally he's an adult. Don't mess with IRS. Consider him fledged from the nest. All his future expenses are on him except for what the gf's parents are suckers enough to provide. And maybe they see a potential in him that they feel is worth supporting….
Would be interesting to learn about girlfriend’s parents and their occupations…they could be on to something…and not so “charitable”

If the son doesn’t have a lot of income - he may qualify for a Medicaid healthcare, which as a part of package for destitute people let him apply and get SSI, sometimes cash assistance, free or reduced heating and electricity costs, free cell phone and reduced internet price from the provider, free community college, etc. - the assortment of benefits and their size depends on the state he resides.

The girlfriend’s parents could have claimed him as a dependent? And made a “deal” with him so he could keep $1200?
Like someone said - the son’s word against his parents’ regarding more than 50% support share.

As the son has no assets - his car insurance may not be as high as when his parents pay to keep him on theirs - if the parents have assets and need a higher liability.
The son meantime could get away with paying a minimum liability coverage required by his state.
In addition, the son could sign up for auto insurance monitoring program - getting rebates as he doesn’t need to drive that much or at night- living with his girlfriend…

To the OP.
Count your blessings that you don’t have to support your son anymore and that he will learn to be on his own early on.
It is a cheap price to pay for his life lessons

You don’t need to buy his loyalty by buying him a car or paying his expenses. He should come around in a few years.
Sit tight! Wish him health and buy a Christmas and birthday gift.
You both will be all right eventually- he would outgrow his current attitudes..

Last edited by L00k4ward; 02-23-2022 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 03:38 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Could it be that your son is talking about another $1400 adults suppose to get in 2021? Not everyone received it - it should be reconciled at the tax filing?
Rebate recovery credit 2021?

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-re...ns-and-answers

https://www.al.com/news/2022/01/are-...t-in-2022.html

Old 02-24-2022, 01:43 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191186 View Post
I wish this was true .... I called him, after receieving the text saying "he's not changing it, go ahead and be mad" .. I called super calm, assuming he just doesn't understand how taxes work. (not saying I do) ... But as I started nicely explaining how if he claims himself it costs me $3,000 ( I now see its $933) , and that nobody is trying to "take his money" or "screw him over" and that he for sure will get all the federal and state taxes that he paid back, and we can do taxes together .... Only to basically be told how awful of a parent I am, and how I screwed him over all these years blah blah blah. .

Does anyone know what Stimulus he is talking about, that would be $1,000 - $1500 ? He was 17 on January 1st, 2021, and turned 18 at the beginning of August, 2021 ...

He said if he didn't claim himself, he would loose out on a stimulus that he qualified for, but didn't get. I then began to question that maybe he didn't get it, because he didn't qualify for it..

But then was told, he had someone do his taxes that has "10 more years experience than me" which I assume is his GF's mom, who is probably about 10 years older than me ...

My main question now is, do you only get this stimulus he's talking about, IF he truly was on his own, and paying rent, insurance etc ... .

*** EDIT *** not that is matters in the sense I'm going to do anything about it. .. I have no plans on trying to claim him with the paper filing, or anything.. I'm done with taxes, filed without claiming him..

But I am curious, for the point of trying to understand why he feels so entitled to this stimulus ?

But you would be taking the deduction from him if he allowed you to claim him as a dependent, which ends up changing how much money he gets back, which will "take money out of his pocket."

I will be surprised if he does not understand how income taxes work because the young people I speak to are clueless. They think that "deduction" per dependent will give them that much more money, not realizing or caring that it is a dollar amount that gets figured into a formula that will either increase or decrease what you get back.

It's been years since I did my own income taxes, had to look. For your son to claim himself, he gets a "credit" of $12,550 and that if he checked the box to say someone can claim him to see instructions, which would go to this page where they have a formula that "adds" $1,100 instead of that $12,500.

We itemize, the $12,500 in a nut shell is credit for not itemizing things like medical bills and insurance payments. He is also allowed to claim the maximum charity deductions without receipts which I hope his "help" told him to do which will also help him get a few more dollars back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Would be interesting to learn about girlfriend’s parents and their occupations…they could be on to something…and not so “charitable”

If the son doesn’t have a lot of income - he may qualify for a Medicaid healthcare, which as a part of package for destitute people let him apply and get SSI, sometimes cash assistance, free or reduced heating and electricity costs, free cell phone and reduced internet price from the provider, free community college, etc. - the assortment of benefits and their size depends on the state he resides.

The girlfriend’s parents could have claimed him as a dependent? And made a “deal” with him so he could keep $1200?
Like someone said - the son’s word against his parents’ regarding more than 50% support share.

As the son has no assets - his car insurance may not be as high as when his parents pay to keep him on theirs - if the parents have assets and need a higher liability.
The son meantime could get away with paying a minimum liability coverage required by his state.
In addition, the son could sign up for auto insurance monitoring program - getting rebates as he doesn’t need to drive that much or at night- living with his girlfriend…

To the OP.
Count your blessings that you don’t have to support your son anymore and that he will learn to be on his own early on.
It is a cheap price to pay for his life lessons

You don’t need to buy his loyalty by buying him a car or paying his expenses. He should come around in a few years.
Sit tight! Wish him health and buy a Christmas and birthday gift.
You both will be all right eventually- he would outgrow his current attitudes..

I mentioned similar yesterday. All her parents have to do is give welfare a letter saying they only provide a roof over his head. He could qualify for a bunch of things, including the cash and food stamps, plus dollar a day car insurance.

He could then use those food stamps to buy food at the GF's house instead of paying rent. I know someone doing the same when her mother sold the house last year, she had to move in with a friend. She gives some of her cash benefit (TANF) plus some of the food stamps. Some of them get $300+ in food a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Could it be that your son is talking about another $1400 adults suppose to get in 2021? Not everyone received it - it should be reconciled at the tax filing?
Rebate recovery credit 2021?

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-re...ns-and-answers

https://www.al.com/news/2022/01/are-...t-in-2022.html

I'll be surprised if that isn't the stimulus he's talking about.

Speaking of stimulus money, the OP should have gotten stimulus money for the son during COVID. My grand kids got COVID money, so the OP also should have gotten a stimulus for the son during COVID. The first one was $500, with the second being $600. The last one says $1,400 for "qualifying dependents".

I know that for my grand kids who are under 10, the 2021 was a few payments of $250 if I remember right. Looking on google, it was probably under the December advance Child Tax Credit payment. I was involved in stimulus threads here but do not recall anyone here mentioning these monthly payments. I'd have to ask my daughter what it was, I remember sending her articles about it but don't recall specifics.

My point is that the OP was able to collect stimulus money for his son. Now I wonder if the son is considered "double dipping" to claim his own stimulus money since he falls under the qualifications, but if I'm right, it's already been paid on his social to the OP, so the son could get a surprise letter in the mail.

The OP should speak to his son to get him to elaborate on which stimulus he's talking about in case it has already been paid under his social. That could be another penalty type situation.

Since the OP did qualify to get stimulus money on his son, why shouldn't the son claim himself on his own income taxes now that he has a job?

Families will soon receive their December advance Child Tax Credit payment; those not receiving payments may claim any missed payments on the upcoming 2021 tax return

Quote:
For eligible families, each payment is up to $300 per month for each child under age 6 and up to $250 per month for each child ages 6 through 17. Here are more details on the December payments: Families will see the direct deposit payments in their accounts starting December 15.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:58 AM

249 posts, read 236,840 times
Does he have adhd? Could explain a lot about your situation, including his perceived experiences with punishments and his childhood…

Old 02-24-2022, 11:40 PM

I'm glad to see the OP logged in yesterday afternoon to at least read so my long winded reply wasn't for nothing.

The OP supported him for 7 months, thankfully he got stimulus money to make up for the deduction he's not getting.

I just hope the son doesn't get a penalty bill for claiming his stimulus when it sounds like OP probably collected it already. Ouch, that will hurt.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:12 AM

12 posts, read 8,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm glad to see the OP logged in yesterday afternoon to at least read so my long winded reply wasn't for nothing.

The OP supported him for 7 months, thankfully he got stimulus money to make up for the deduction he's not getting.

I just hope the son doesn't get a penalty bill for claiming his stimulus when it sounds like OP probably collected it already. Ouch, that will hurt.
Yes, I am reading all the responses .. I do appreciate the long winded responses. ..

I know this is a plot twist, and probably deserves its own thread, and I probably should have given this more context earlier. However, reading the symptoms of a Narcissist, he fits every single symptom to the T. ..

I am convinced he is a Narcissist.. I am also not saying I as a parent haven't had many shortcomings as well, and could have done many things better, yes of course.

But Now it all makes sense .. . I have a lot of reading and self reflection to do ...

I also don't have a lot to ad, unless we want to change the subject to Narcissism ..

I have no intentions of trying to claim him, or screw around with taxes or anything like that .. At this point, I just feel sorry for him, and not sure how to move forward. .

Old 02-26-2022, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191186 View Post
Yes, I am reading all the responses .. I do appreciate the long winded responses. ..

I know this is a plot twist, and probably deserves its own thread, and I probably should have given this more context earlier. However, reading the symptoms of a Narcissist, he fits every single symptom to the T. ..

I am convinced he is a Narcissist.. I am also not saying I as a parent haven't had many shortcomings as well, and could have done many things better, yes of course.

But Now it all makes sense .. . I have a lot of reading and self reflection to do ...

I also don't have a lot to ad, unless we want to change the subject to Narcissism ..

I have no intentions of trying to claim him, or screw around with taxes or anything like that .. At this point, I just feel sorry for him, and not sure how to move forward. .

As a parent, we're supposed to want better for our kids and to love them unconditionally, be there when they need us. That's all we can do.

They have to fly away, to make their own mistakes so they can grow.

The son you have now, will not be the same person in a few years when he matures.

We all made mistakes as parents. There was no manual. How could we do it perfect?

I don't have a problem telling both of my kids that I did the best I could under the circumstances and I'm sorry if it did not measure up to what they needed from me.

He really is at a weird age. It may be when he has his own kids, he will come to you and say, looking back, I see how hard it is to be a parent. I now understand the things you did.

What you're going through with him is probably the same thing a lot of us went through with our own kids who thought they're 18 now, they obviously know better than us. Been there, done that. As I said, I have 2 kids, night and day. One did realize it eventually, now they think I was lenient with punishments lol

Old 02-26-2022, 01:17 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,324 times
I'm trying to imagine a world in which I would let my child's boyfriend or girlfriend move in with me, and it just doesn't exist. I think the source of all your trouble is these enablers. Hopefully they will break up and your son will come to his senses.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:46 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I'm trying to imagine a world in which I would let my child's boyfriend or girlfriend move in with me, and it just doesn't exist. I think the source of all your trouble is these enablers. Hopefully they will break up and your son will come to his senses.
I think one of my friends in middle school ended up doing this in HS. We ended up going to the same graduate program together. At this point, he had just married his HS girlfriend, was working for his FIL, and was doing well. We’re in our 40s now and he’s been teaching for two decades now.

I don’t think there is necessarily anything wrong with this kid. It is more his age than anything else. I certainly don’t think he is a narcissist. Once kids finish HS/college, they tend to think they know everything. I know I was there when I was that age.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think one of my friends in middle school ended up doing this in HS. We ended up going to the same graduate program together. At this point, he had just married his HS girlfriend, was working for his FIL, and was doing well. We’re in our 40s now and he’s been teaching for two decades now.

I don’t think there is necessarily anything wrong with this kid. It is more his age than anything else. I certainly don’t think he is a narcissist. Once kids finish HS/college, they tend to think they know everything. I know I was there when I was that age.

Totally agree. It's most likely 100% the age he is, thinking he knows everything or thinking he should know everything.

Either the kid will grow up and mature or he will go down hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting