Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 06:05 PM

249 posts, read 237,400 times

Advertisements

Try a different medication. She sounds like me (undiagnosed til age 38) and it was impossible for me to wrap my homework up at a decent hour. There are several different ones out there, and each one affects people differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 04:28 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle2 View Post

She often says how tired she is when she gets home and we try to stick to a strict bedtime of 8:30pm but she has so many assignments that she's been going to bed at 9 or 10pm and I hate that for her. And yes, she's still taking her meds and I've become more vigilant about giving her the afternoon dose of Ritalin so she can focus but sometimes that doesn't help much.
"Tired" does not always mean "sleepy". Often tired means mentally exhausted.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:41 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Sounds like you might need to rework the 504 plan for starters. Giving her 'more time' for tests may not be the whole answer if she can't focus enough to use that time. What about a verbal test instead of written, or pared down tests that still demonstrate understanding and mastery of the topic? When my son was in school his 504 team included someone from the school to advocate FOR him, not just his teacher, not just me, or the guidance counselor, is there someone advocating for your daughter on her 504 plan?

Is your daughter capable of the magnet school intellectual level of work? Maybe instead of a tutor you can find someone to help her with her time management and organizational skills? From what you posted this is what seems to be her biggest challenge. She needs to learn a way to conquer small attainable goals if she's being overwhelmed by larger goals. "A meal is consumed one bite at a time."

I would not let her 'sink' until exhausting all avenues and coming to the conclusion that your daughter simply doesn't care. Somehow I feel like it's not so much that she doesn't care it's more that she's giving up because she doesn't know how to cope and the struggle is overwhelming.

Maybe some support or ways to connect and get info here.
https://fhfofgno.org/?s=adhd
https://fhfofgno.org/laptic

Old 09-05-2022, 11:21 AM

178 posts, read 116,149 times
Quote:
Keep in mind she literally always has motivation for games on her iPad or hanging with her friends. Funny how that works!

Here are my issues:
1. How do I motivate or wean her to become more independent?

2. Do you think virtual online classes would be a good fit for her?

3. Do I let her sink or swim? This is a hard one. I have a BS in Engineering
7th grade through 9th grade (13-15 years old, and for some to 17 years old) is THE AGE. Regardless if they have ADHD or not, they lose interest in studying, overall. It is called "adolescence". Yes, they prefer to be on their phones and iPads at this age. Yes, they always have time for that. Sometimes deep into the night. Sometimes to 4-5 am.

When I faced this issue, I had the same questions and fears ("how come, me! with my degrees! and my child may head towards who knows what instead!"). I now know that nearly every parent faces these questions with their 13-15 year olds.

1. "more independent" is a stretched in time phenomena. You do it in tiny pieces over the years. Through talks, through stories about yourself and relatives, through visiting places ("showing the world"), through delegating small tasks, through never losing contact with child the person, regardless of what is happening in her school, - but never at once and at the time when you need it. It correlates with "growing up". They are maturing up until 19yo and no faster than that. (The brain may keep maturing till 30yo). The good news is that teachers at school know it. A teacher has 20-30 such adolescents with puffy eyes from iPad-scrolling deep into the night. They know about this age. Try not to feel that you have the only child in the world with these issues and that you are the only parent in the world who "is failing" their child.

2. Virtual classes may or may not be good, it depends on the personality. Overall, the frontal lobes of 13 year olds are underdeveloped, yet, and they are not good at controlling their distractions (scrolling iPad), and won't be until 17 yo or so. But depends on the individual.

3. you will have less and less authority to make her "swim". You will slowly realize that the "external motivation" is a myth; that there should be a spark within her: how that happens, is outside of your power; she may stumble on an energetic teacher, or in some other way. You are slowly relinquishing her study to her. Even now, you are already at the end of your rope, and you won't be able to keep this much longer; you both are changing right now; the adolescence changes not just your child, but you as well. Exhausted parents have no choice but to protect themselves, their own health and sanity, in the end.

It's not good to be letting her sink, neither. After trials and errors, I invented a middle path: letting my kids be during the school year, and making them spend an hour (or two, depends) a day during summers on subjects that I thought were more important for us/them (math, physics, chemistry). I got books/textbooks for the following grade (after catching up on the subject material first, if needed), my kids felt better in school having better grades because the subjects were familiar already. An hour a day wasn't as taxing, and I was more relaxed and available during those lazy summer days to explain if they had questions. It probably wouldn't work with every family, kids may be more rebellious than mine were, but that was my solution.

Overall, I had to also adjust my own expectations - the very same "how come! I have B.Sc. in Engineering!" should have to be tamed. One child started refusing going to university, so this was me coming to terms that all she may end up with would be community college. My own coming to terms also didn't happen overnight. One day, you both look at "game development" and visiting a university during open doors. The next year, she refuses everything and wants to "start working as soon as possible" and "math scares her". We can't force a person to do the straight path we envisioned for them. Their own path may end up much more complicated and they have a right to their own path (the hardest idea, possibly, for the parents to swallow). Anyways, my daughter was accepted into a community college (not without nervous waiting, since her grades were not so stellar) so that makes me (who is void from vanity by now) more or less at peace. It helps that her program is in software, but we definitely had an ornate path to get here.

You just have to believe that your kid will turn out OK in the end.

Last edited by Bruegel; 09-05-2022 at 12:28 PM..

Old 09-05-2022, 12:48 PM

178 posts, read 116,149 times
Quote:
was dirt poor and I don't ever want her to know what that's like. She's made comments that lead me to believ she expects things without having to work for them and maybe that's our fault as parents but I don't want her to grow up hungry and feeling unsafe like I did and admit that maybe I'm not raising her right.
I am eternally astonished with this sentiment that pops up time and again: "I was dirt poor and I treasured things and felt that education was my ticket to a better life, but I don't want my child to experience this, but I want them to have the same gratitude for things and the same thirst for education that I had." People completely abandon the causes-consequences? The logic? Removing the deficit from the child, but still wanting the child to develop the overwhelming desire to close the deficit? The one they don't have?

One of the best moves in parenthood is creating some (artificial if you are rich) areas of deficit. If a child has nothing to desire for, we do more harm than good by stripping the child of developing goals, ingenuity, perseverance.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:51 PM

307 posts, read 214,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom25 View Post
Have you tried any other ADHD meds? We went through about 3 before we found the best one for my son. He's on a extended release so it gets him through homework time and it wears off a little after dinner.
This is our second extended release prescription with a small dose of ritalin we give her after school. Our next doctor's appointment is next month so I will definitely ask about switching meds if the doctor believes it will help.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Okay - been there, done that. Ugh!

Is this her first year in the magnet school? Where did she go for 6th grade?
This is her second year at the same magnet school so she was at the same magnet school in 6th grade. She was in a private school but we switched to magnet because the private school gave us lots of push back when we tried to pursue a 504 plan to allow her more time for testing.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sounds like you might need to rework the 504 plan for starters. Giving her 'more time' for tests may not be the whole answer if she can't focus enough to use that time. What about a verbal test instead of written, or pared down tests that still demonstrate understanding and mastery of the topic? When my son was in school his 504 team included someone from the school to advocate FOR him, not just his teacher, not just me, or the guidance counselor, is there someone advocating for your daughter on her 504 plan?

Is your daughter capable of the magnet school intellectual level of work? Maybe instead of a tutor you can find someone to help her with her time management and organizational skills? From what you posted this is what seems to be her biggest challenge. She needs to learn a way to conquer small attainable goals if she's being overwhelmed by larger goals. "A meal is consumed one bite at a time."

I would not let her 'sink' until exhausting all avenues and coming to the conclusion that your daughter simply doesn't care. Somehow I feel like it's not so much that she doesn't care it's more that she's giving up because she doesn't know how to cope and the struggle is overwhelming.

Maybe some support or ways to connect and get info here.
https://fhfofgno.org/?s=adhd
https://fhfofgno.org/laptic

This is very good advice. I will follow up to determine how her 504 plan can be adjusted to better meet her needs and thank you so much for the resources.

Old 09-05-2022, 07:25 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
I don't know how virtual schools operate in your state so my response is based on what I know about in my state. I think a virtual school would be an awful idea for her. it requires a level of independence she does not currently have. I think it would create more work for you.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:16 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
This is her second year at the same magnet school so she was at the same magnet school in 6th grade. She was in a private school but we switched to magnet because the private school gave us lots of push back when we tried to pursue a 504 plan to allow her more time for testing.
I'm not surprised. My private school has no bandwidth for my child's learning disability too.

It all depends on how well she did last year. If she kept up last year, this many be manageable. If she had a similarly hard time last year, it maybe over her head. This present situation sounds like torture for everyone.

You might have to move into a new school district with a better option. It's lousy to move for a child's education, but you may not have another option.

Good luck!

EDIT - going over your post

Quote:
she's very forgetful and won't assume that any work not completed in class should be homework so she has half done assignments and almost completed notes all throughout her class materials.

Most things in our house are very last minute and she doesn't volunteer to study on her own.

She sees a psychiatrist every 3 months but is very non-verbal with the doctor at those sessions and always says things are fine.
If I was you, I would take three months off or work part time. It sounds like you need to be home after school and help her over this period. Frankly, it should like a bigger problem than just school work. It's more like cry for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting