Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times

Advertisements

I only got spanked once that I can remember. My older brother was sent out to bring me in for supper because I wasn't listening. He picked me up over his shoulder and I bit him on the back. It only hurt my feelings for a short while. Lesson learned. Didn't hurt me ONE little bit. It taught me to listen better and to respect my mother when she called me to come in.
I'd say that if spanking is used, it should be used VERY sparingly, and only for certain things... not every day trivial events where kids are mischievious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,245,642 times
I know my parents spanked us but I can't even remember any of the spankings that I got so doubt they helped (I was a fighter anyway so a little pain never bothered me). The only discipline method that was effective on me was my parents telling me how disappointed they were in my behaviour, I hated to disappoint them but I didn't give a toss about being sent to my room or anything like that.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:19 AM

11 posts, read 18,011 times
Did it help me? Well... it helped me make the solid decision that I would never ever spank my own children. So, yes, I suppose it did. Did it help me learn from my mistakes and guide me to be a better person? No. It taught me that if I screwed up, I might as well try to hide what I did because at least then I'd have a chance. It taught me that my dad was someone to be afraid of. It taught me (and the rest of my siblings) that it's acceptable to hit someone if they do something you don't like. My parents couldn't understand why we all hit each other - apparently they never made the connection. I still have to fight the urge to lash out physically when I'm frustrated.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What happened, the other spanking thread get closed before you could say this - so you revived a 4 year old thread, lol
Sorry, the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the page doesn't tell you how old the thread is, and I don't normally look. Why would I, unless the topic is time-sensitive (e.g. asking for advice)?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 PM

384 posts, read 594,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Sorry, the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the page doesn't tell you how old the thread is, and I don't normally look. Why would I, unless the topic is time-sensitive (e.g. asking for advice)?
Because it is bad forum etiquette to bump up a very old thread. And all these spanking threads are so done and tired. The people that spank and the people that don't spank argue for pages and pages and never seem to agree on anything. These overdone spanking threads need to be put to rest already.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:32 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Because it is bad forum etiquette to bump up a very old thread. And all these spanking threads are so done and tired. The people that spank and the people that don't spank argue for pages and pages and never seem to agree on anything. These overdone spanking threads need to be put to rest already.
Yup, or moved to Great Debates, where circular arguments go to die.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Its not that hard to look at a post and see the date. If the last post is dated 7-19-2009 then you know its an old thread.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I know it made me have fear. A little fear is a good thing. It can keep us out of trouble. It got out of hand though. My mom had her boyfriends spanking me and everything. A pop in the mouth wasn't uncommon either.

That said, with my kids, I would smack their hand if they were in danger like putting fingers near a socket or the stove. It took one time and that was it. I didn't use spanking as discipline.

My kids were well behaved. I used reverse psychology on them. I'd drop them off places like school or at a friend's house and tell them "go ahead and be bad, I'm not here". They would just shake their heads at me.
I agree with the fear -- we were spanked and we were little brats sometimes that probably needed a few more spankings than we got. It was mostly my dad but sometimes my mom.

I think it's wrong though that a mom's boyfriends would be spanking her kids. I also don't believe in the pop in the mouth.

Back to the fear, my dad spanked but was not a beater or abuser. I think being spanked while young enough made me always fear going over some line and making him freak out. We always had that fear that there was some line that we would never want to cross -- or dad would freak out. He never had to freak out, he never did.

I've heard of parents whose kids cuss them out, or completely don't listen when their parents tell them to be home by a certain time, so I wanted my kids to grow up with some fear of consequences also.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
I think it's worse etiquette to complain about threads other posters may want to participate in, rather than simply declining to participate.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:42 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
I come from the 50s when a kid got "beat with the ironing cord"...which didn't work, so why did a parent continue...
That's not spanking; it's physical abuse.

The only time I was ever spanked was once, at age 13. I had told my dad to shut up. I think we were both shocked. I never did it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting