Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:55 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,097 times

Advertisements

Spanking did not work on me one bit. My mom tried spanking with hand, bucket handles, spoons, switches, books etc. It really didn't phase me, I had a really high pain tolerance. I have been told I was a very good kid, but my mom had quite a temper. Oh, the neighbor who used to babysit me told me that she once had to spank me (for beating up her son who had hit my brother), she got out the belt and I chuckled and said "Hmm... I've never been spanked with a belt before".

My mom finally found out that the best way to punish me was to ground me. Boy was she harsh, if I even said one word in my defense she added a whole day of grounding. I generally negotiated my way out of it though once she calmed down.

We do not "spank" our child, but we do give him a little swat (not hard enough to hurt, but just to startle) if he commits a major offense. Luckily our son is very well behaved and we rarely have to punish him. We also watch him closely, so he doesn't get in trouble for a lot of things that other children get in trouble for when their parents neglect to watch them properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 02:48 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
I don't remember this, but my mom is fond of telling the story of the one and only time she spanked me. She gave me a spanking (or, as she called it in Yiddish- puch en toucchas) and I didn't cry. I stood up, looked her in the eye, and told her I had no respect for her and walked out. I was about 3. Never happened again.

What I do remember was when my brother was spanked when he was about 3. After it was over, I told him to hit me in front of my mom... and he did. When my mom went to scold him, I simply informed her that it was a learned behavior and that if it was OK for her to spank him, why couldn't he take out his anger on me? Last time he was spanked as well.

Reasoning worked very well for my brother and I. Just telling us "no means no" did nothing- if my parents explained WHY they said no, we backed off. Typical INTJ kids, if you follow Myers-Briggs psychology.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:01 PM

251 posts, read 880,349 times
I got spanked ALOT! my mother used to keep tabs on how many bad words i said while we were out and thats how many whacks you got, i just learned to say things when she was not around or really quietly, it never made me behave more just be more sneaky.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:06 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Sounds like my "mother." A very miserable person, she can't get out one sentence without complaining about something or degrading someone. I don't speak to her at all anymore....my kids don't even know she exists.
Your doing your children a favor, keeping them away from such a distructive influence, at least in my opinion. I don't understand why some people think beating a child into the ground both physicaly and mentally is the way to go but it does lifelong damage to a person.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:51 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,636 times
I never was spanked but I sure got popped for things and YES it worked. Now my brothers were beat with the belt and NO it didn't work. If I ever have children I will never beat them but I sure will pop them.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM

335 posts, read 1,028,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
Hey, I come from the 50s when a kid got "beat with the ironing cord"...which didn't work, so why did a parent continue the corporal punishment? If the kid continued, isn't it time to try a new punishment?

The teachers in those days were allowed to paddle, the woodshop teacher took pride in making the longest, thickest paddle in the school. I didn't like that girls were paddled by male teachers on the rump. NOT on the hands, or leg but on the buttocks! these teachers even bragged about "how the paddle" was designed and cut, with drilled holes in them to 'suck the meat thru' when on the upswing to get better speed! WTF?

This was NOT in a rural small town, it was in Michigan, in Pontiac & Detroit areas.
Anybody else get paddled, and when did they stop this practice?
Ouch! and lol @ the same time because I am familiar with this!
I was born in the late 70's and my parents still believed in spare the rod and spoil the child. I was spanked by dad and mom hit me with a belt (she stated it dated back to an injury and could not use her hand) lolz! And I had a choice "No TV for the rest of the day or 3 lashings with the belt. Needless to say I always chose the lashings across my bare bottom!
And I attended catochism and I remember still in the late 70's it was not uncommon for the nuns to give you a firm rap against the knuckles if you did not stay on task! As far as I am concerned I was always a good mannered child and was not so much afraid of my parents but rather the shame I got from the reprimands because I felt I was disappointing them. The same goes for church.
Personally I think there is nothing wrong with a spaniking on the bottom for extreme situations...i.e health/safety issues,i.e. running into traffic, not looking both ways, biting, hurting others. A warning should be given and it should be distinct but after 7 I think spankings are useless and time to go back to the drawing board!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,868 times
The man who raised me didn't spank, he hit with a thick leather belt, I hated him for it.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 PM

793 posts, read 2,213,097 times
I was spanked with a wooden spoon when i was younger, but when I reach age 10, I started to get Spanking fantasies.

For my future kids, I would only use spanking as a last resort if everything else fails.

I don't understand parents when they say to their kids: "Stop crying or you will get a spanking" A Spanking won't stop them from crying if they receive it.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,365 times
I was paddled in 9th grade by a male teacher on my butt in front of the entire class. I am female. I was completely humiliated. This was for chewing gum in class. I do not remember any teacher's name from that school year, except his and to this day, I still am resentful. It happened in 1973 in Cody, Wyoming.

I do not spank my kids. I do not want them to resent me and I think that spanking generally does not work.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I don't remember this, but my mom is fond of telling the story of the one and only time she spanked me. She gave me a spanking (or, as she called it in Yiddish- puch en toucchas) and I didn't cry. I stood up, looked her in the eye, and told her I had no respect for her and walked out. I was about 3. Never happened again.

What I do remember was when my brother was spanked when he was about 3. After it was over, I told him to hit me in front of my mom... and he did. When my mom went to scold him, I simply informed her that it was a learned behavior and that if it was OK for her to spank him, why couldn't he take out his anger on me? Last time he was spanked as well.

Reasoning worked very well for my brother and I. Just telling us "no means no" did nothing- if my parents explained WHY they said no, we backed off. Typical INTJ kids, if you follow Myers-Briggs psychology.

ooooh you were quite a kid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting