Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:57 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
In my house a child has the right to do what their told and treat my wife and I with respect or they can get out and go live somewhere else.
You can't really kick an underage child out of your house, parents have a legal responsibility to house, feed, clothe etc even if the kid doesn't do what they say. Children have rights, well at least they do in countries that have actually ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child (which for some strange reason the US has not done despite signing it)

Old 04-04-2014, 02:08 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,687,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
You can't really kick an underage child out of your house, parents have a legal responsibility to house, feed, clothe etc even if the kid doesn't do what they say. Children have rights, well at least they do in countries that have actually ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child (which for some strange reason the US has not done despite signing it)
You obviously dont know my family. If id gone against my parents idve found my butt outside with the door locked behind me and no judge or jury on earth wouldve gotten me back into that home. Additionally my punishment would be exceedingly worse if i DID call the police.

Yes children can be good provided that they ARE good. However parents are there to be parents and if that means a spanking, grounding, or time-out then thats imo the parent(s) right. I dont care what anyone else says. My child my house my rules. As far as im concerned if i want a friend i'll simply go find one out in the grocery store; i wont have a child in order to get one.

Separation of church and state needs to become separation of state and parenthood.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:14 PM

854 posts, read 1,483,155 times
I'm against spanking or any kind of corporal punishment. I think humans are too obsessed with punishment, to the point is actually is the cause of most of the violence in the world.

Spanking only teaches fear and not true respect. Parents should talk to their children and explain why they have rules, and that it's because they love them. Growing up I always felt like my parents enjoyed punishing me and that they were the enemy I should fear.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Discipline is a MAJOR aspect in my home. What you don't get is that spanking and hitting are not the only or even the most effective ways to discipline. They are used by lazy reactionary parents who don't have the strength of character to think of other ways to discipline.
Discipline and hitting are not one and the same.
My Grandmother put my dad in a dress, hooked him to the clothesline in the front yard, and invited all the neighborhood kids over to make fun of him one time instead of spanking him. You saying that this "alternate form of spanking" was better? According to my Dad he wouldve gladly taken the spanking.

Again, whats the point of the thread? No, i wont spank your kids if they ever come to my house, but if i had kids you can be sure that if they deserve it any kids i have will be. Dont like it then dont ask about it.

This is becoming one of those "Dont talk politics/religion at the bar" type situations.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:21 PM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times
physical or in that case mental abuse is awful for any child and scars them for life... I dont understand anyone doing these cruel things to children their supposed to love.. sick individuals who should be arrested.... you cant hit another person without being reported and arrested so even worse a child. think about it all of you who think it does kids good.. it can make children into bullies with other children too.. and theres no way a parent gets respect from a terrified child..

Old 04-04-2014, 02:25 PM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Discipline to me is not a minor aspect. It is a major one. You take away my right to discipline then whats next? My right to reward? My right to make him leave when he's 18? My right to not allow him to smoke pot in the house? Where does it end?
discipline though doesnt have to be hitting a minor who cant hit back.. its bullying , cruel and a crime.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
discipline though doesnt have to be hitting a minor who cant hit back.. its bullying , cruel and a crime.
Its not a crime here. Also, i couldve hit back when i was spanked. I just knew better.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:31 PM

***Will Children Services investigate me if I spank my children?*** (From https://www.tncourts.gov/courts/juve...ly-courts/faqs

There is no law in the state of Tennessee forbidding a parent to spank their child. The word of caution to any parent who spanks in such a way that they leave visible marks is that if someone reports them, they can be investigated for child abuse by Children Services anywhere in Tennessee and in most other places in the U.S.

Through parenting classes and other child abuse prevention programs Children Services suggests more positive forms of discipline. However, if a parent feels corporal punishment is more effective, Children Services recommends that the parent never use an object (belt, board, switch) instead, the agency suggests the parent use an open hand on the clothed buttocks of the child

Last edited by Jaded; 04-05-2014 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted post

Old 04-05-2014, 12:13 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,400,498 times
Six-year long thread that has run its course.../closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting