Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 19,200 times

Advertisements

I am hoping I can get some advice on how to help my daughter. My daughter is 14, I got a call from her this morning, she is away at cheer camp. She was nearly in tears. She seems to think that no one on her team likes her. She said no one is talking to her and no one sits with her on the bus to and from events. I asked her if anything in particular happend and she said no. Hearing the tears in her voice broke my heart.

I want to be able to talk to her about this when she gets home and I want to try and stay positive. She loves cheerleading and I don't want this to stop her from doing what she loves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 12:04 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
Oh I feel so bad for you and her both. Don't you just want to go right over there and get her and bring her home, and tell those girls to straighten up?lol!!
Really, I have no advice other than just be the ear for her when she calls you. I've been through these things with my daughter (who will be 14 next week) but never when she's actually been away from home. Just tell her to hang in there and continue to be friendly with the girls, hopefully they will come around.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Oh my, I can't imagine a scenario that can get more catty than cheer camp. Chances are she'll be fine when she gets home, but if she's not and you need to be able to talk to her, a book on girl bullying might be a help. Just remember she's in there with a bunch of princesses and if she's a nice girl she'll get eaten alive.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:20 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,857 times
Awwww...poor little thing, that's so sad! I hear you...it's heartbreaking when it happens to your child....and she's away from home.
I think young girls are so self-conscious! They are so self-conscious and they are just trying to learn how to be confident....all I can say is try to help her build up her own self-esteem, and also, I think young girls forget to be friendly themselves.
Sometimes, they will hang back, instead of taking the initiative and going up to someone.

I hope she's okay. Good luck

Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Oh my, I can't imagine a scenario that can get more catty than cheer camp. Chances are she'll be fine when she gets home, but if she's not and you need to be able to talk to her, a book on girl bullying might be a help. Just remember she's in there with a bunch of princesses and if she's a nice girl she'll get eaten alive.
I'm curious what you mean "if she's a nice girl she'll get eaten alive"?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Is there a counselor assigned to your daughter at the camp? I would give them a call. I'll bet they would try to team her up with someone to help facilitate some friendships....

Old 07-24-2008, 01:47 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Because a large percentage of cheerleaders are catty and mean...

Old 07-24-2008, 01:48 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Could you call the camp and speak to the counselors? Express your concern and ask them to step in to make sure she is included but to NOT let your daughter know you called.

Or talk to your daughter try and help her have the confidence to include herself with the girls, introduce herself, go and sit down with them on her own. It's a hard age, I am terrified when my daughter reaches it!!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 PM

16 posts, read 37,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
idk...but i think that means most girls at cheerleading camp arent' 'nice' girls...can't help but agree

Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 19,200 times
Thank you all for responding, I greatly appreciate it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting