Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:07 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
The childfree shouldn't regret not having a family. That's good. I really don't care if I end up alone if my spouse dies, or if I ever have a spouse who is childfree.
Why are you posting on the parenting thread if you do not have children???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,870,409 times
Don't worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Why are you posting on the parenting thread if you do not have children???

Old 08-10-2008, 08:10 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Don't worry about it.
I am not worried by any means, just very curious.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:12 PM

Providing reasons why they want ot have children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I am not worried by any means, just very curious.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:13 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
Southdown, you never heard of the term childfree? Its a term for people who never want children. Look it up on WikiPedia.
No, it's a term for people who don't have children YET. We were all 'childfree' once.

And you are not the first to use this affected slang terminology.

You will find, my dear, that Wikipedia lists many slang terms; children & teenagers are inventing and popularising them all the time. It doesn't make them real words.

They may become part of the language but they are not useful, they simply show the person using them has a rather sad axe to grind.

You don't have kids - you don't want kids - who cares? But please find something useful to do as an alternative.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:17 PM

The term is actually childless. Childless is someone who doesn't have kids, YET! Childfree is someone who never wants kids. I know some guys who use the same term. One said some people don't even know what childfree means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
No, it's a term for people who don't have children YET. We were all 'childfree' once.

And you are not the first to use this affected slang terminology.

You will find, my dear, that Wikipedia lists many slang terms; children & teenagers are inventing and popularising them all the time. It doesn't make them real words.

They may become part of the language but they are not useful, they simply show the person using them has a rather sad axe to grind.

You don't have kids - you don't want kids - who cares? But please find something useful to do as an alternative.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:20 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I truly believe that God plans all children, and that he puts the right people together to create these children. It doesn't always go smoothly and a lot of people turn out to be bad parents, but no one is born by accident, all children are blessings and were put on this earth for a reason.
I'm sure this is true in many cases. I'm just not sure what reason little Adolph Hitler was put this earth ?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:22 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
The term is actually childless. Childless is someone who doesn't have kids, YET! Childfree is someone who never wants kids. I know some guys who use the same term. One said some people don't even know what childfree means.
I would think Childfree would be a term applicable for people who had kids that are now adults and not living at home.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:23 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,672 times
This thread sounds suspiciously like one that was started by a poster named LAFan and was closed in June 08. The thread went on (somewhat too long, in my opinion) with 19-year-old LAFan proclaiming the fact that he was determinedly childfree (and there's nothing wrong with that, if you ask me) and that he was getting static from everyone, friend and stranger alike. Add to that, he bemoaned the fact that he couldn't find a like-minded woman. Eventually, things became a bit snippy (again, my opinion). The thread was locked.

Well, my my, I just went back and found that thread. Turns out the name of the Topic Creator for that thread is no longer LAFan -- it's wclac. Hmmmm...

Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,575 times
[quote=findinghope;4809177]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post

Topaz said it best. all those things are true.
its like seeing you--as a baby. you cant believe the strength, the audacity, the courage they have.
when you see or hear of something happening to another child, you feel bad for them and their parents. but when you are a parent, it pierces your heart and soul.
when i was pregnant, i thought i would just go about my days and months as normal and wait for baby. but he wasnt about to let that happen. he had a personality and life inside me--and he let me know it!
the moment they gave him to me, he looked straight into my eyes. i was so unprepaired! it was like he was looking into me, and i realized here is a person. he is here to live a life. he is here for some special reason. my job: feed, cloth, care, secure as much safety as possibe, so that he can get on with it and do whatever he came to do.
and you think you will be able to control them, make them behave...but they cant be forced into thing--i mean i know my son cant. i can only sort of corral him into safety and hope he learns his lessons.
Nicely said. Thank you for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting