Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:11 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Who runs these clubs/events? That should tell you all you need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I remember going to an underaged dance club on Friday nights when I was a young teen. I was probably 14. I know I wasn't old enough to drive.

We had a blast! Good wholesome fun just dancing and socializing with our friends. I wish they had that type of club here for kids today.

I say let her go, but pick her up earlier. That's what my mother did. She never let me stay out as late as my friends. She'd pick me up at 10pm. My friends stayed later.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I just noticed that this thread is over a year old.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,804 times
Default Trust you daughter

My 15 year old daughter loves to go to a teen club called Link Lounge in Houston. Every week the lounge has a teen night. At first I was apprehensive about letting her go, so I looked into what would be happening at the club. I found out that the club had police officers, chaperons, and they had very strict guidelines of what the kids can and cant do. So I told my daughter that she can go, and she has gone multiple times since then.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,700 times
teens club?..why do yhu want tu do somethinq that yhu know yhu arent ready for?..clubbing is not the thing teens should be doing..its always going to be there.yes we are young and we should enjoy ourselves but lets think about whats most important to us ..our education is what will tell what we are going to be a few years from now .without knowledge one is nothing so lets prioritize the things in life we do..partying, going to the movies and chilling with friends is fine but the whole club aspect is a no no because dilinquent joveniles and inappropriate dancing are present in clubs..NOOO NOO!..live your life with no regrets.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:49 PM

422 posts, read 649,130 times
What ever happened to throwing a party at your house? Music, food, games and parents in their room listening for any trouble. We had so much fun at those and everyone (kids and parents) felt safe. Usually kids want to party away from their parents because they want to do and say things they NEVER would if their parents were around. At 21? natural at 14?.....

Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaam View Post
My 14 year old wants to go to a teen club. They have these events in my town once a month for 13 to 17 years old. IMO I think a club is too mature for a 14 year old girl. Teenagers these days are not like the teenagers 25 years ago when I was a teen and I'm worried about the possibilites of negative things that could happen.
Am I overreacting? Should I let her go and have fun or should I keep it safe and follow my old fashion instincts and not let her go?
I think you should definitely let your 14yo daughter go to the teen club. I would suggest that you get some information about these teen clubs before you send your daughter to one. Ask some of her friends' parents about the teen clubs they let their teens go to. Also, you may want your daughter to go with a group of friends, especially for her first time. I also agree with a previous poster that whoever picks up these kids (be it you or another parent) arrives early to check out the place just to see what its like for your own knowledge. Will there be some dirty dancing going on? Oh yeah. It happens in the middle and high schools, so don't be too surprised if it happens at the teen club. Will some teens try to sneak stuff alcohol/drugs in? Yeah.

However, try to view this all as a learning experience for your daughter, where she will be faced with being pressured by her peers to do things she has no business doing at her age and has to learn how to say NO to it. If your daughter is still interested in going to clubs at 18 and 21...she'll need to have those smarts that will keep her out of trouble and unfortunate situations...like don't separate from the group...don't leave your drink (of any kind) unattended...stuff like that. She'll need to know that everyone doesn't have her best interest at heart and how to stay away from those kinds of people. Gaining some street smarts wouldn't hurt the girl...but keeping her in the dark just might.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:58 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
consider yourself lucky that there are gatherings for JUST young people age 13-17, it is a whole lot worse at ALL AGES EVENTS which means teens are there along with people 18 and 22 and 35 and there is way more drugs and alcohol and far less supervision, and more potential for younger teens age 13-17 to get preyed upon and taken advantage of

as a parent i'd take a teen club any time over being with older adults where there is drinking and drugging (sure in a "corded off area") but i don't want teenagers in that atmosphere to begin with
Agreed.

Let her go.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:08 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
let her go!

offer to be a chaperone if youre concerned about supervision.

gotta loosen those apron strings sometime....

Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,572 times
i would let her go because at teenage club they watch you and you are not allowed to drink do let her have fun you dont know if you or her will be here tomorrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting