Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
When was it considered the cultural norm for an 8 year-old to breast feed? From an anthropoligical viewpoint baby #1 was weaned when #2 came along, and one can only speculate the time-line, but it was waaaay before 8.
It's not the cultural norm anywhere to nurse an 8-year-old, but moms do not necessarily wean when the next baby comes along. Lots of moms, both here and in third-world countries, nurse their toddlers even after the new baby is born, a practice which is called tandem nursing. I knew a mom who was nursing three children (they were 4, 2 and infant), but that's not very common.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:39 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian88 View Post
It is hilarious that grown adults drink the milk of cows but are squeamish about the thought of an 8 year old drinking the milk that was made by nature for that child. What's more gross and inappropriate? A prepubescent child drinking it's mother's milk or a grown adult sucking on a cow's udder? I know we don't suck on cow's udders, but we drink the stuff that comes out of it all the same.

This all goes to show how hilariously culture can influence what people see as normal or acceptable and not.
You answered your own question. Sorry, 8 years old is for the mother, not the child and it is psychological abuse.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 AM

45 posts, read 89,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
You answered your own question. Sorry, 8 years old is for the mother, not the child and it is psychological abuse.
Agree to disagree.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Moms who are nursing 8 year olds have issues with separation and letting a child grow up. And I believe in letting a child wean naturally but there comes a time when it is time to stop! I definitely agree with you on this!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I think there are other ways of having intimacy with an eight year old.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Moms who are nursing 8 year olds have issues with separation and letting a child grow up. And I believe in letting a child wean naturally but there comes a time when it is time to stop! I definitely agree with you on this!

Proof?

Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Lots of moms, both here and in third-world countries, nurse their toddlers even after the new baby is born, a practice which is called tandem nursing.
I see this written all the time. I am from "the thirld world", born and raised there, and worked in maternal-child health there, and very seldom saw tandem nursing. In fact very seldom saw extended nursing past 3 or so. It just isn't true. If people want to do it because they want to do it, then fine. But this need to justify it by saying people do it naturally so it's this organic thing just isn't true.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
I tandem nursed for 2 years and I know several mamas who have also tandemed. It's not uncommon at all in my crowd (nor is nursing for over 2-3 years). Granted, my crowd is the LLL crowd, and I am not claiming that this is common in the general population, but there are still plenty of us around. I live in North Carolina.

If you read a book like "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" you can see all the stats on when/where this practice is common in different cultures. I can't refer to it at the moment because I am not at home right now.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:14 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I tandem nursed for 2 years and I know several mamas who have also tandemed. It's not uncommon at all in my crowd (nor is nursing for over 2-3 years). Granted, my crowd is the LLL crowd, and I am not claiming that this is common in the general population, but there are still plenty of us around. I live in North Carolina.

If you read a book like "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" you can see all the stats on when/where this practice is common in different cultures. I can't refer to it at the moment because I am not at home right now.

I nursed my last one for 3 years. I don't think folks have issue with extended nursing or tandem nursing...

The issues is nursing an 8 year old. This is not a baby, toddler or preschooler but a child old enough to be in elementary school. In my school system an 8 year old would be in the 3rd grade most likely and 4 years away from middle school.

An 8 year old needs to be drinking from a cup and allowed to be an 8 year old.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I nursed my last one for 3 years. I don't think folks have issue with extended nursing or tandem nursing...

The issues is nursing an 8 year old. This is not a baby, toddler or preschooler but a child old enough to be in elementary school. In my school system an 8 year old would be in the 3rd grade most likely and 4 years away from middle school.

An 8 year old needs to be drinking from a cup and allowed to be an 8 year old.
I have already talked on the topic of nursing an 8 year old, 3 years and 400 posts ago. My recent post was in response to the posts on this page regarding tandem nursing and how common it is or is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting