Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
A binky is an artificial breast. It was created to stand as a substitute for the child's need to suck at the breast.

That's what nature intended. Most toddlers naturally move away from wanting to suckle all day long. My 13 month old barely wants to nurse and that's for both nutrition and comfort. My oldest had to be weaned off the pacifier at 8 months because he wanted it in his mouth ALL day long. That wasn't going to happen because it was bad for his teeth and speech development. The same can't be said of the breast.
Yes, but I don't think nature intended it at 8 or 9. At this age it's clearly a woobie and can be replaced with a trinket or a blanket. We've evolved to a different way of thinking. Social expectancy is not always in line with nature. I realize this is difficult but it is what it is.
Reasoning for using both are to calm at that age. A breast may not be harmful to their teeth but at 8 or 9 I bet it's harmful in other areas.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
The child in the video is 7 which is still considered within the range of normal albeit at the extreme end. After this video came out the mother posted a response where she said the 7 year old nursed very infrequently, often going weeks without nursing and she weaned shortly after the video aired. This mother was practicing true child led weaning which is basically, don't offer the breast but don't refuse when your child asks. Most older nurslings will only nurse occasionally and in private. It's not like their school friends would know and it's not like they don't have other means of comfort then the breast. Their mothers are just allowing them an opportunity to let go of nursing in their own time. And they do.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I sucked my thumb on and off til I was 12. I didn't really need a pacifier much when I was a baby because I used my thumb instead. I am -so- glad mom didn't think that meant I needed a breast in my mouth, until I stopped "wanting" to suck my thumb. I would've been mortified, and disgusted, and probably would've had some kind of really freaky aversion to sex. I mean - I was already in puberty by the time I was 10 and I got my period for the first time at 11. I had my OWN breasts by the time I was 12, and it wasn't til then that I finally stopped sucking my thumb.

Gross. Just - gross. If they're old enough to ask for it in complete sentences, they're old enough to be weaned off of it.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:33 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Nope, I assume she is using her boob as a binky.
Ironic statement - given that a binky is an artificial boob...

Old 05-06-2012, 04:57 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I think she is referring to how most people look askance at a four-year-old walking around with a pacifier or sucking her thumb.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:56 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
To me its a little weird for that to happen that late, I mean at some point the kid has to feel awkward sucking on moms boobs, I can't believe the mom's don't find it awkward.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My point was it wasn't for nourishment. It was to keep the baby or I guess child quiet and comforted with a sucking motion. She isn't hungry, she just had a plate full at dinner time with the family. She was just fussy.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
It's a little hippyish and weird when you see some mother with a kid half her size breast feeding- My family were all breast feed..I insisted on it...and encouraged it. No one ever gets a cold and their immune systems are super...Myself- I heard I was breast fed a little to long- I would chase my mum around with a chair and cry out in Russian --"see see- see see..." meaning suckle or breast....well my mother was fed up with me feeding like a little spoiled parasite..

She asked her friend for advice...the lady told my mother to put hot mustard on her breasts and that would get rid of me...well I suppose it did----and now ----------I JUST LOVE HOT MUSTARD ON EVERYTHING....true story----breast feeding is the best but their are limits...if the kid can walk..let him find his own food.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
OMG, carrying around with lactating breasts for EIGHT YEARS!

Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
OMG, carrying around with lactating breasts for EIGHT YEARS!
May as well be a cow. It might be that husband dearest has a secret fetish and mom might be feeding two...who knows- stranger things occur----eight years...Your son or daughter would be a nut case by that time- Where in nature do we have a creature that suckles with a full set of teeth and who weighs enough to give mom a serious back problem- at that point it would be fanatic behavior..it breaches all natural law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting