Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 03:43 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,808 times

Advertisements

Being an adopted Parent and Foster parent. I can tell you as a past Foster parent you need a certain amount of space per child. You would be surprised how many children are okay in a room with bunks. When becoming a Foster parent or Adopted parent they do look at your space and your family situation. This Mom isn't either one of those. I grew up knowing many families who had lots of kids but didn't live in huge houses. Look at the Duggar who have 18 children when they first were shown on Tv they didn't live in a huge home. I think the issue is can you care for these children as far as food, clothing and those things. I know watching shows like Jon and Kate their 6 babies stayed in a room altogether until they were like 3. They all had there own cribs and the cribs were right next to each other. I don't think space will play a hige part in any thought of taking these children away. I know that looking at things seems like they would but CPS has to follow certain laws when removing. When States start to suffer money wise kids might not be removed or returned faster. I know in Michigan they do What is called Family To Family. The idea of this program is to keep kids in the home if they can and provide services. I have seen Mothers get rental homes, beds, stoves and other help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:09 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I pretty much agree with most of what you said except this. Those of us who used scientific intervention do not look at our children as science experiments. My twins ARE gifts from God.

I agree that the circumstances that brought this octuplet pregnancy to fruition are suspect but those babies are innocent and precious. I just hope that family recognizes that and doesn't choose to pimp them out for a TV show or multi-million dollar photo spread.
I don't see how anyone can do a responsible job in our complex society to rear such a brood.
If they turn out to be Charlie Mansons and Ted Bundys they will certainly not be thought of as God's gifts.

I don't see reproduction as Godly. Just part of a mechanism. The beauty of such an occurrence is what WE give it. People who cannot have birth control in third world countries and already have too many kids often don't see an additional mouth to feed as a good thing.

It's not that we should not be grateful for the goodness that life/God has brought us, if for no other reason then that a grateful heart is healthy. It's just that having more children than you can afford or devote time to is not a good thing and often those kids turn up to be drags on society. This is why I don't think it is healthy to automatically think of babys as good things. It totally depends on the circumstances.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Where do you think the doctor and his talents came from?
Harvard, if you're lucky.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
The bad thing is people seem to (including the media) worship people who bred up like mice.

Programs and news stories about how damn amazing parents are that have X amount of kids and how WONDERFUL they are because they cope with all these kids just encourages idiots to have more children.

I don't want to judge this person and if you want 10 kids or 14 and think you can give them a good childhood, then more power to you. But, realistically, one child requires so much...how can ANYONE parent 14?

Handing them off to the older kids seems mean, too.
The only modern day family I knew who had lots of kids had the majority dysfunctional, most with some sort of prison record, most left home as soon as they could (can you imagine the noise in such a home, can you imagine being in school and trying to study?) with only one kid, a girl, who went to college and was untouched by the law.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
If God didn't want her to be a mom, she wouldn't be. No matter how it happened (IVF, adoption, etc). Didn't God create science indirectly? He did give us intelligence didn't he? Now you're going to tell me you don't benefit from science? You drink cow's milk right from the udder? You don't use medicine in any case?
Please! Who died and made you the God expert? Keep God out of it!
Oh, gosh. What other planet spewed these ideas?
So if she decides to do this again and again, it will really be God doing it?
Gee, does that make Hitler God's creation, so what he did was God's will?
If only good things come from God, and bad from the Devil - then it is WE who determine what the good is, and most people do not feel that having more kids than you can responsibly do a good job with a BAD thing, so the Devil is leading this woman into having all these kids.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
If she can afford all these kids than no one on this forum has any right to criticize this woman. Does she make any sense? No but the point stands. However, from the fact that she is young and lives with her parents leads me to believe she can't afford all these kids. To take fertility meds when already having 8 kids when you can't afford it is absolutely disgusting. I feel terrible for us (the taxpayer) as I suspect they are on welfare. I feel even worse for the grandparents who probably will be footing most of the bill. I feel the worst for the kids themselves that will probably grow up in poverty and popping out kids as teenagers.

But it's not like there is a baby boom going on. For every woman like this there are 50 liberal ones who will refuse to have more than one because she thinks she's saving the world.

Please, God, don't let this woman get one of those worthless feel-good TLC shows...
You are correct about who has all the kids. Dumb people.
That is a generality. I am sure there are some who are not dumb.

But when you look at history, it is often a small number of intelligent people who end up ruling and controlling assets and the great struggling unwashed dumb masses who labor for them.

THere are many factors that determine success, but one is having fewer kids and rearing them well, making sure they are well balanced and capable of functioning well in society. Reading to them when they are young turns out to be a huge influence on how well they will do in school.

So, it takes money, and time, and sane responsible parents.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
But who else could have created the schools, discipline, and good genes?

sincerely,

pinetreelover

But - who created Stalin, Hitler, George W?

Many people once followed these horrors and once thought they were good.

God creates both you and the parasite that wants to destroy you.

He also gave us a mind to use, so we can determine when enough kids is enough. See, the brain is supposed to be used to create a good life for you and those you love. Having too many kids to handle makes a bad life for them and makes you a bad person who does not think well with the tools that God gave you and God will not like you.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
[/b]

How do have any right to push your social ideas on people who CAN afford this amount of kids. They are not "irresponsible if they can handle it. Your evidence of overcrowding is merely anecdotal-you have supplied no evidence.

Kindly leave the 1960s and join us in the 21st century. The problems of the 1960's (which is when I'm going to guess your worldview matured-my assumption) are not the problems of today.

The birthrate is America is barely 2.1 children per woman. That is right at the replacement level. Meaning without any immigration our country wouldn't grow at all. In almost all of Europe and Russia the birthrates are substantially below 2/female (I'm talking 1.3,1.5.etc). Same for East Asia. Iran's birthrate is under the replacement rate and falling fast. In much of Latin America, the birthrate is falling and currently around replacement.

The only exceptions to this worldwide trend are sub-saharan Africa, parts of the Middle East, and South Asia.

Europe, East and West, wrestles with falling birthrates - International Herald Tribune

Al Jazeera English - 101 East - Asia's birth rates: A rising crisis

But do you take any of these facts and statistics into consideration? Huge cities give the illusion that a country is overcrowding-hence the anecdotal evidence given by many. It's not just you-I just wish you would allow some surprising facts room in your worldview.
I can see how industry in this country wants an ever growing consumer base, which is the impetus for most such comments as this.
This is another reason why business favors the influx of illegals into the US. I guess you favor this, as well.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I wouldn't waste your breath with her. But thanks for chiming in nonetheless.

I actually didn't bring up God first anyway.

I would not expect a non-believer to believe or understand the way I do. I don't know what people like Steel think I should tell my children someday: "Well, honey - you really aren't a gift from God. I'm so sorry people keep telling you that! You a merely a product of science."

Have a nice weekend!
Look at it this way - food is a gift from God, but too much food will make you ill.
Well, for a society/family more children than you can responsibly overlook and provide guidance and an education for sometimes makes society ill.

Hey. If you are wealthy and can hire nannys and housekeepers and spend lots of time with the darlings, fine. Chances are, the more kids a person has, they are going to get some who are problems, healthwise and sometimes just difficult to manage. You cannot make assumptions that they all will be great.
Just one of those problem children can destroy a marriage.
It is roulette, and sometimes you don't know the outcome until it's too late.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul020103 View Post
Wow... Actually, the only people I feel sorry for are the ignorant ones who feel it necessary to post comments based solely on accusations. Which one of you has ever done an IUI to get pregnant? And of you that have, how many of you actually had to face the daunting decision to 'reduce' the pregnancy or take your chances and see them as blessings no matter what challenges will be faced. If you want to attack people for mooching off of the system, talk about the welfare recipients who freeload AND get free healthcare. For those of you (probably most if not all of you) one round of IUI could run about $3500 for one chance. Most insurance companies do not cover such procedures so the expenses are ALL out of pocket. You didn't pay a dime to this remarkable woman who endured and will continue to endure so much with her new life of blessings. Her husband, some of you asked... none of your business. All you need to know is that this woman pursued the chance to have more children out of her own pocket and by her own choice. Far from the countless teens and drug addicts that 'accidentally' get pregnant and ride the welfare rail.

You all really ought to be ashamed of yourself judging this woman prematurely. I wish that more people would see this as a hurdle for this woman and her family, and hey, maybe even find a way to help her or send words of encouragement. Are you the same people who walk past the Salvation Army volunteers who collect money for the less fortunate or are struggling and create some cocky, irrelevant reasons for why you can't (won't) help?

This woman might be a wonderful, hard-working mother... maybe her husband died, or is in another country fighting in the war... unless you REALLY know the facts, keep your ignorance, rudeness, and stupidity to yourself. We have enough arrogant, know-it-alls in the world. Novel idea: why don't you educate yourself in the area of infertility and become part of the solution you think exists, instead of part of the problem this world has - lack of empathy and support for others.

With the state of our economy, I sure hope that those of you who have posted here don't lose your job, your house, your family - you're life. I'd sure hate to see you standing in the unemployment line waiting to collect a check from my hard-earned dollars... We are all vulnerable with our current market and we should be grateful for what we have. The lady with the 14 kids might need our help someday - but so might you.
Is there any point at which you will think enough is enough.

She can very well have another litter.

Will six or eight more be enough?

So many kids HAS to be irresponsible, in a practical manner of speaking.
I would not object if someone found her insane and sterilizes her.
Scary stuff, huh.

The thing is - I have no problem offering help to a person who has used wisdom in the course of their lives, who has regulated the number of kids they had, is married to a sensible partner who earns a decent income, is educated and can hold a responsible job themselves, had the kids when their income looked very secure, has savings for both retirement and the education of the kids, does not have outstanding debt.

Sure, a calamity can happen that is totally unforeseen. Of coarse you would help these people. But a woman who decides to go on with a pregnancy with little income in a shaky job with no health insurance and knows she will go on to public assistance - etc, etc, etc, NO sympathy here. She asked for it. She is also uncaring and stupid enough to know her kid will probably be relegated to life's garbage heap just like her.

A person who struggles to do the best possible in life for herself and her kid who falls on hard times should not be equated with life's misfits and freeloaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting