Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times

Advertisements

Different race/ethnic background...not a problem.

Different socio-economic/educational background ....then we need to talk. Not a deal-breaker, but an issue that needs to be addressed.

Values and goals are more important than skin color in determining long term relationship happiness. IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
LOL! We have four, the oldest being in her mid-twenties. So far, I have two Christians, a Buddhist and an atheist. (Sounds like a bar joke, but I guess for that I'd also need a rabbi and Hillary Clinton.)
You are one lucky lady, and I think the exception, not the rule Glad you worked this out in your family. Most Christian women who marry a muslim or an atheist would have a very hard time raising children with their spouse.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:35 PM

153 posts, read 689,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are one lucky lady, and I think the exception, not the rule Glad you worked this out in your family. Most Christian women who marry a muslim or an atheist would have a very hard time raising children with their spouse.
I'm a little confused about why everyone is so concerned about muslims and atheists, but not jews, buddhists, hindus, etc.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:34 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
Oh yeah...and are their pants hanging down to their knees? Do they look like a metal factory blew up within 100 feet of them? Is their hair NORMAL? or blue? Mohawked? There are somethings like that I just can't deal with. There is normal and then there is normal..I know.
I think you get the gist of what I am referring to though.
As someone who looks as if a metal factory blew up within 100 feet of me and has "unnormal" hair, I wouldn't have an issue with it if my daughter (if I had one) brought home someone looking like it either, especially at the age of 15-20. If my daughter (again, if I even had one) were, say, 24/25 or older and brought home someone that looked like that though, I think I might have some issues with it (unless he had a very stable, well-paying job).

As for the interracial thing, I don't think I'd have a problem with it so long as s/he was an upstanding citizen, respectful, and had some basic knowledge of the English language (if English is their first language, that is).
And to the other poster who said he'd be cleaning his guns when/if his daughter brought someone home--I'm with ya'! I'd probably be doing the same thing.

I also agree with those of you who brought up the religion issues and the cultural issues. I think those sorts of things are harder to deal with for the couple in question. Personally, I don't really have any issues with other religions or cultures, but I can see how they can put stress on a relationship (especially since my mother is getting remarried to a man who is Christian and attends church every week, while my mother is not Christian and has not been to a Church in years).

Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
No problem whatsoever. My concern is whether he or she is a functional member of society.

My folks had issues...they've loosened up a bit with old age.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:37 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh, you misunderstand! I said I was in an interfaith relationship-- but it's my husband who's the family Christian. (Even though I seem to have been the one signing the kids up for CCD and First Communion...but that's a different thread.)
But I'll take the implied compliment, and thank you. I am very lucky to have the family I do. They're lovely people, no matter whose Gods they worship (or don't).

Old 03-28-2009, 06:50 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,233 times
my daughters are both adopted from China,I certainly hope and pray that when they are old enough to date,that the mom of the boy she may be dating doesn't think like you..

I would NOT think that way-ever. As long as they are respectful and have the same morals that we do as a family, it would be fine.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:44 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
One of the reasons why my husband and I choose not to become involved in religion at all is because we see how those kinds of groups divide people, rather than bringing people together. If you are one thing you fit with that group, or another you fit with another, but rarely do you find churches/temples/etc. with members from all different kinds of faiths from all different kinds of cultural backgrounds. We are all human. If there was a church of humanity, with respect and tolerance towards all no matter what, we might consider joining that group. We haven't found one, yet, so we choose not to limit ourselves by the current narrow boundaries. From what we have studied... whether it be the Christian faith, Eastern philosophies, Catholisism, nature-based faiths, etc. ... they all seem to teach their followers at the very least one important thing: to be respectful towards others. Do no harm. Unconditional love. It's a shame that only those who think alike are the ones who generally get the respect, while those who choose to live and think differently are deemed less worthy of the same respect. It's group-think mentality.

My husbands parents were of different cultural backgrounds and different faiths - dad was Irish Catholic and mom was Thai Buddhist. They had a lovely, long marriage regardless. Their children grew up learning about both cultures. Faith only stumps a relationship when the people involved allow it to become an issue. Coming from diverse backgrounds can actually be a benefit - especially for the children - if you make it so.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:59 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
My husband is caucasian and I'm hispanic. Race means nothing to me. What matters to me is how the person is on the inside. Any race has jerks and any race has really good people.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:32 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
[quote=carlitasway;8083687 What matters to me is how the person is on the inside. Any race has jerks and any race has really good people.[/QUOTE]

How true..that goes for 'nationalities', too.
I know some people who have to fear dating outside their (five generations ago over from the old country) ethnicity. The parents want them to find a *insert your own ethnic group here* or else.

I know one family---they all married "Italians" and believe me, that was expected and how the elder friends of their parents 'applaud that.' I mean, that is the ideal...how could you NOT marry anyone "Italian??" (again, these are Americans who have American parents and grandparents)... (okay??)

Meanwhile--another guy told his daughters..if a Black guy asks you out tell him no, my dad's crazy.....!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting