Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 535 times

Advertisements

Get rid of the superstition that your child owes deference to you or your wife. You have obligations to him, since you are the ones who inflicted life on him. He owes you nothing. You can encourage him to treat you courteously, but you have no right to coerce him to do so. He also has the right to be informed, when he is about to start school, that the teachers are hired help, paid to work for him, and that he owes them no deference, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 05:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old man in New Jersey View Post
Get rid of the superstition that your child owes deference to you or your wife. You have obligations to him, since you are the ones who inflicted life on him. He owes you nothing. You can encourage him to treat you courteously, but you have no right to coerce him to do so. He also has the right to be informed, when he is about to start school, that the teachers are hired help, paid to work for him, and that he owes them no deference, either.
You resurrected a thread from four years ago.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:48 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You resurrected a thread from four years ago.
And to post such wonderful insight, too.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
OMG OP. I may be able to offer useful advice. Get the book The Wonder of Boys. My son is younger than yours. But I am scratching my head thinking... who is this guys? This book explains a lot of what is going on for your son. And Dad, good on you for being in the game. He can learn a lot from you about love and life.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
We have three girls (pretty much grown) and two younger boys. As we are learning every day. BOYS ARE DIFFICULT!! Girls are easier. At elast so far.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post

Mom: "come on buddy, it's time to get jammies on"
4 year old: "come on buddy, it's time to get jammies on"
Sounds to me like mom is feeling disempowered
Quote:

Mom: "Buddy, now come one"
4 year old: "Buddy, now come on"
Quote:

Mom: (getting annoyed)
4 year old: "You're a poopie head!" (laughs and laughs)
Quote:

Mom: "you do not talk to me like that. Now listen to me and let's get your jammies on"
4 year old: "Poopie, poopie, poopie head!" (laughs and laughs and begins running around).
[quote]

Personally I would smack. But I know that is not PC. Sounds like mom is feeling disempowered. I do not think you walking in and smacking the kid will help mom reestablish authority. I would talk with her about how she feels and what she feels her options are. Including just get up, calmly close the door and ensure kid can not open it. Light off. Go down stairs. Kid will scream and carry on and bang the door. Eventually kid will fall a sleep in their clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting