Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:13 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
No it's not just that - although the clothes are a huge part of it. We go out a lot and when I buy something for myself, I also buy for my son. Plus he gets tons of things from both sets of grandparents and other family members. But I am able to wear my clothes to work so I get my moneys worth out of them. If he had to wear a uniform 4 days a week, then most of his clothes would just sit in the closet. Plus in the grand scheme of things uniforms would be a hassle. The school provides them with one shirt, then you'd have to buy the rest at $16 apiece and they can only wear navy blue bottoms. My son is 3 and rarely comes home in the same condition I send him to school and still has accidents on occasion - I'd be washing clothes every day.

But yeah, I won't lie - him not being able to wear his clothes would kill me. Not because he's such a sharp dresser or I buy him really extravagant stuff but because I'm one of those people who hate feeling like I didn't get full value out of a dollar.
Forgive me, but as someone who embraces simple living, I am stymied by the juxtaposition of the description "shopper" and "getting the most out of a dollar." There has to be some other reason you are so opposed to uniforms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:19 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Forgive me, but as someone who embraces simple living, I am stymied by the juxtaposition of the description "shopper" and "getting the most out of a dollar." There has to be some other reason you are so opposed to uniforms.
I understand - I'm a clearance shopper. Right now it's summer here in Florida so all the winter clothes are 70 - 80% off which means I can get really nice jackets, sweaters and jeans for great prices- even name brand things although mostly I stick to store brands because they're easier to mix and match. Anyhow, my point is if I pay $15 for a nice sweater and then he only wears it three times (3 Fridays) and then he outgrows it - I won't feel like I got the value of my $15. I guess maybe I'm not explaining it well.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:21 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
As a parent, I feel that school uniforms are a financial hardship. I gladly accept (and give) hand-me-downs, and unless you happen to get the exact uniforms from the exact school-this renders them useless for anything other than playclothes. I can stretch and buy new clothes, but many people these days rely on garage sales and pass-down clothes. A uniform requirement (in public school) hurts them. I've also seen no evidence that it helps the kids get higher grades and read better.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:24 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
As a parent, I feel that school uniforms are a financial hardship. I gladly accept (and give) hand-me-downs, and unless you happen to get the exact uniforms from the exact school-this renders them useless for anything other than playclothes. I can stretch and buy new clothes, but many people these days rely on garage sales and pass-down clothes. A uniform requirement (in public school) hurts them. I've also seen no evidence that it helps the kids get higher grades and read better.
My son's preschool has uniforms. Every year, the school has an event where parents of the new or younger kids can buy the outgrown clothing of the older kids.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:39 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
Most of the things listed in the new dress code are already in effect now anyway. What will changing and limiting the COLORS and FABRICS of the clothing do to improve attendance, security, or discipline? IMHO, this may actually hurt attendance. If the kids don't care anyway, this may be the last straw that makes them stop coming all together. I know at least one like that (not my daughter, lol).

~D
Why does wearing a uniform upset your daughter? As much emphasis as there is on self-esteem & confidence...these students are still minors...they are not adults! To not attend school b/c you can't wear what you want is not the intent of education & actually goes against it.

You do understand the color & gang issue, correct?

The discipline comes from limiting the issues teachers, students & admin deal with regarding clothing during the school day. The debate that goes on b/w student, teacher & admin over shoes, pants, belts, tank tops, etc quickly evaporates as those things are not even allowed since a mandated policy is in place.

The emphasis goes back on education & not spending 10 minutes talking to Joey about how his pants are falling off his backside & he is saying that there is absolutely no way to pull them up b/c that is how they are "made". Or Missy "forgot" her tshirt & only has on a tank top so she has to go to the office to call her mom to bring in a shirt...but,oooopppss, it was in her locker!! She realized this AFTER class was over & BEFORE mom made it up to school. Silly Missy! But the principal cannot force her to go into her locker unless there is written documentation of the event, so the principal has to spend time doing a write up about Missy & her tank top. Seriously. This is what goes on. Every day. In every school. All the time.

Attendance? The kids who feel utterly worthless b/c they don't have the money to buy the right clothes, shoes...the girls who cry & hide their faces in their lockers as you walk by b/c all their friends went shopping over the weekend & bought new clothes except for them...or the boys who can't do the handshake b/c his white tennis shoes have a scuff mark & the rule of the group is all white tennis shoes. They don't come b/c their value has been placed with their clothing & hair & nails. Uniforms do cut down on this issue. Uniforms do not solve it, but they greatly decrease it.

It's hard to be judge on your clothing when everyone is wearing the same thing. And students feel more confident when they know that they are being valued for who they are rather than what they wear.

And then parents wonder why kids are bored & nothing is learned. B/c of all the other issues that are brought into the school that detract from actual learning!

I would find it hard to believe that the school DOES NOT struggle with its current dress code policy & that may be one of the reasons for the new policy.

And the "kids don't care"...that's an excuse & one that would not go far with the board, so don't recommend the students using that line. How about "the board doesn't care.." It would turn into a nasty debate in which nothing would be achieved on either side except arguing for the sake of making a point. Just not the smartest thing to say.

Last edited by 121804; 05-14-2009 at 02:02 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 01:44 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My son's preschool has uniforms. Every year, the school has an event where parents of the new or younger kids can buy the outgrown clothing of the older kids.
Same with ours & I picked up some brand new pants for him this past weekend at the resale event for $3/pair. I also worked in an inner city public school which now has a dress code policy & it has several ways for parents to receive free or discounted uniforms as it makes the news in our area all the time. Our local WalMart has an entire section dedicated to school uniforms. The expensive theory just doesn't work.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
........... because I'm one of those people who hate feeling like I didn't get full value out of a dollar.
You get alot more wear out of uniform clothes than regular clothes.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Uniform clothes are not more expensive than other clothes.

Parents still do hand me downs in uniform schools (even expensive private schools). Plus-during stretches when your child wears the same size for a long period of time you do not need to get them new clothes just because a new school year started.

I have found that although the initial outlay for uniforms is high, overall uniforms are far less expensive than having to buy new clothes for them all the time.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You get alot more wear out of uniform clothes than regular clothes.
I don't think I would with my son - I get a lot of hand-me-down clothes and most of his stuff is brought on sale. The shirts (which are pale yellow) at the school are $16 apiece. I would need at least 3 and between his everyday wear and washing - I would have to replace them often because I won't send him to school in stained clothing. Maybe when he's older it'll be more economical but right now toddler clothes are fairly inexpensive.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:04 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
Quote:
I don't think I would with my son - I get a lot of hand-me-down clothes and most of his stuff is brought on sale. The shirts (which are pale yellow) at the school are $16 apiece. I would need at least 3 and between his everyday wear and washing - I would have to replace them often because I won't send him to school in stained clothing. Maybe when he's older it'll be more economical but right now toddler clothes are fairly inexpensive.
Their is no rule (that I know of) that states that you have to purchase the "pale yellow shirts" from the school's distrubutor directly. You can always buy a regular pale yellow shirt, blue slacks, from say wal-mart or salvation army even, and if need be sew the school emblem on it (if it is required on sweaters or jackets)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting