Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,445,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Are they so self-centered that they just don't give a flying flip?
Yes.

PS: When my sister came to the US for the first time, as an au pair (which was a couple of yeara ago) she was horrified to see how American children (including those she was baby-sitting for) liked to just sit and scream really loud, without any specific reason, any related game or anything. "They just scream very, very loudly" - she kept telling me in desperation. She was beyond flabbergasted because she had not seen this kind of behavior in kids back home. I had not seen it either when I was still there but that was over 12 years ago and I just assumed things may have changed there too. At the same time, as an expat, I noticed that American parents typically fail to teach children to interact with, and communicate with one another (including playmates, not just siblings) in meaningful ways. Kids are taught and encouraged to focus on themselves, their own needs, wants, feelings, impulses whatever - and follow them. Playgrounds abound with children who just roam around like crazy atoms but rarely do you see a few children engaged in some sort of collaborative play, involving civilized communication (which is achieved even at extremely young ages in more collective cultures, as parents actively teach children how to relate to other children.
The unusual need to scream out loud may be some kind of repressed, primitive, untapped communication need in contemporary American children. Lord knows, but it sure is not universal. And I agree, it is hardly palatable.

Last edited by syracusa; 06-14-2010 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:02 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,059,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Can't help but wonder how common this is, ie was my luck bad re this neighborhood, or is it some "thing" popular in this area or (as I suspect) even worse, ie a nation-wide lunacy...also hoping someone can remind me I'm not the only one left who gets how obnoxious and asinine this behavior is. (PS NOTE AND DISCLAIMER to people, esp parents, who consider this behavior acceptable: this is not aimed personally at anyone, so pls keep that in mind. Maybe such a person is a great parent overall, but the light just hasn't come on regarding this topic - or whatever. Point being I am talking in general terms. If you can't accept or even grasp that and discuss rationally, pls move on. TIA.).

It's bad enough in restaurants, church ad nauseum, but even when I'm out working in the yard, it's not exactly rare to hear some kid scream, and I do mean SCREAM as if someone was ripping their arms out of their sockets.

And I wonder: how can someone be so mindless, thoughtless and generally inept as parents - and people - as to consider this kind of behavior acceptable? Are they so self-centered that they just don't give a flying flip? Or are they so incredibly clueless they actually don't get how rude this is? Either way, it's absolutely amazing to me that such people exist.....and, more to the point, apparently breeding like cockroaches. ie have you found this common in your area as well? Or is my area an aberration?
There's a boy in our neighborhood who acts like this and his parents cater to him when he does. It drives me up a wall, to say the least! I don't get it and when my kids act out like this not only do they get punished but they are forced to apologize for ruining everyone else's day!
I think it's awful that there are parents that accept this kind of behavior. Kids aren't perfect and I understand kids acting up because I have two of my own, but I would never condone screaming or crying or whining for no reason!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Nope, it's like they are encouraged to just be themselves no matter what rude and obnoxious behavior results.
So it's only now that you are discovering the ethos of the 21st century?
Yes, Hell will break loose and Universe will come apart if the child is not allowed to be "himself", even one moment in the day.
And Lord Forbid should he repress any "feelings".

Old 06-14-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
I think it's awful that there are parents that accept this kind of behavior.
"I think it's awful that there is an increasing number of parents who accept this kind of behavior - to the point where the sane ones are becoming the weird minority"...

...would be the correct formulation, in my opinion.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:12 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,059,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
"I think it's awful that there is an increasing number of parents who accept this kind of behavior - to the point where the sane ones are becoming the weird minority"...

...would be the correct formulation, in my opinion.

Agree!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't have to live in a country/rural area to have peace. I'm in suburbs that are only 15 minutes away from a city.

My neighborhood has lots of children, and they don't scream here---at least not often enough to take notice.

Maybe my neighborhood is the norm, and the OP is overly sensitive.
Or maybe your neighborhood is the exception, and you just don't know how good you have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cep1977 View Post
I do not know what the answer is... other then never take the baby out???
There ya go Not to restaurants, at least, or similar places where a "playground" noise level is not appropriate. The good news is before you know it the baby WILL be old enough to know the diff between proper and improper behavior and you can teach em.

Thanks to those who get it.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Buy a Taser.

I wouldn't be able to stand that.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:27 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,209 times
ohhhhhh don't tempt me......

Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,179 times
i still support the apple not falling far from the tree theory

Old 06-19-2010, 04:25 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,150,276 times
lol. This thread cracked me up. Just yesterday my husband and I had the same conversation. Our son is now a teen but our neighbors have small children.We all live on large lots, about half and acre. We shouldnt hear anything. So hubby and I were sitting on the back patio and the kids behind us let out this screech and then screams. My husband leaped up to the rescue. I had to tell him to relax and sit down. I hear that crap all day. He was shocked. He said, "damn, I thought someone over there was hurt." We talked about how our son never really did that or maybe he started to and we told him to knock it off. Can't remember now. Sooo..not sure if my ears are extra sensitive now because I have an older child or I just live around kids that seem to lose their minds. Its pretty unnerving to me because if a kid around here did need help, I am so used to the screaming that I would probably ignore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting