Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
(At what age would you allow your kids to have sex in your house, with your consent?)
Whatever age the law allows. In my state, that would be 16.
And if you moved across the state line, your 17-yo child would then have to stop having sex until 18?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 06:58 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
If the kids were 15 I would still think it was proper

Okay, at this point I think we can all agree that some of the posters in this thread are gay teenage boys under the age of 16. The comment above just proved that some folks either aren't/shouldn't be parents.
Obviously we don't all agree, even those that are parents. You right-wing crazies live in a talk radio echo chamber most of the time so you imagine everyone agrees with you, but they don't.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And if you moved across the state line, your 17-yo child would then have to stop having sex until 18?
I didn't say I would police my child night and day to see if he were having sex, nor that I wouldn't allow sleepovers where sex might occur; but if we lived in a state where the age of consent was 18, I would not give active encouragement to it or facilitate it before 18. Parents who've done so, for example by giving their underage kids condoms, have been charged as parties to statutory rape, and I have no desire to be on the wrong end of the law.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:04 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There's only about six states where the age of consent is as high as 18. All the rest of 'em are from 14-17.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Obviously we don't all agree, even those that are parents. You right-wing crazies live in a talk radio echo chamber most of the time so you imagine everyone agrees with you, but they don't.
I'm a left winger but I still think it is the parents' place to set a good example and teach your kids right from wrong. Kids will do what they can get away with, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give them permission. Even if pregnancy is not an issue, as in this case, STD's are, not to mention the emotional issues that often come from teen sex.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm a left winger but I still think it is the parents' place to set a good example and teach your kids right from wrong. Kids will do what they can get away with, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give them permission. Even if pregnancy is not an issue, as in this case, STD's are, not to mention the emotional issues that often come from teen sex.
OK. We clearly differ on the definitions of "good example" and "right and wrong". As for STDs, I would imagine your son knows the other boy's reputation well enough to make a reasonable determination of risk on his own. As for emotional issues from sex, you can trust me when I say most boys aren't burdened with an abundance of them the way girls are.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:41 AM

9 posts, read 17,761 times
Default think about it

OverworkedMom,

I know this is a little late to add my $2.00 worth, but I thought I'd share my thoughts.

This assumes that you know the parents and are comfortable with your son being in their home.

Would you rather know where your son is and with whom -or- would you prefer him to be hanging out in some questionable area?

I think it is a good sign that he asked your permission.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Good post. There are emotional issues to be considered and going along with everything just to be some kind of "cool" parent is not good parenting.

Kids will often experiment with alcohol, drugs, guns -- but parents don't have to give their approval or knowingly send them to a drug or gun party.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
How do you feel about teens getting their driver's license? Do you think that when a parent allows a teen to drive, they are "giving permission" for them to speed and drive recklessly? Do you believe that having beer or liquor in the house is "giving permission" to the teen to drink? Or perhaps you believe that allowing your teen to go to the mall is "giving permission" for them to shoplift?

Allowing your teen to go to a sleepover is far different than saying to them "Hey, good on ya! Go out and get some booty!" Sooner or later you have to hand your kid the keys, trust them, and hope that you've taught them all they need to know about driving. It's pretty obvious what overprotectiveness does in the long run...just look at the incidence of teen pregnancy among conservative religious families.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Good post. There are emotional issues to be considered and going along with everything just to be some kind of "cool" parent is not good parenting.
I couldn't care less what's cool or what isn't. Nevertheless, there is no good reason why healthy 17-year-olds should not have responsible, safe sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting