Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 AM

467 posts, read 983,996 times

Advertisements

What is it and would you recommend it as a good parenting advice site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:22 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
The site is busy so some find it worthwhile - but in my opinion, - too much estrogen on that site.... Girly signatures alone taking half a page with every post...

Old 07-30-2009, 11:23 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times
If you can handle the advice on here I can't see that credibility is a big issue.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 PM

Is it just for Moms (as in no men allowed)? How would they know?

Old 07-30-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
Is it just for Moms (as in no men allowed)? How would they know?
I'm sure you wouldn't have to hide behind a woman's nickname. They have different interest groups, and concentrating on the problem of that group (potty training, cerebral palsy, birthday ideas) - they won't mind an extra member.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I'm sure you wouldn't have to hide behind a woman's nickname. They have different interest groups, and concentrating on the problem of that group (potty training, cerebral palsy, birthday ideas) - they won't mind an extra member.
Hope so. I'd feel wierd doing that, but I guess I could if no one knew and I was behaving (which I plan to).

Someone told me they boot men the moment they see them, so I was nervous about it. I guess I could have the Mrs sign up and just piggyback off her, I guess. Still kinda wierd.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2009, 05:49 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I've been on there and, well, you get a lot of very high strung women...and a lot of men haters..!

There is always someone ranting about 'my sperm donor' in reference to the father of her child...(gross in my opinion).

Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 AM

So if I go there just lay low about my gender and I can still participate and get the advice and input I'm looking for about some Stay-at-Home parent topics and I'll be fine. Or just let em think I'm a SAHM.

That's makes me feel kinda strange even thinking about having to do that (why can't I just be me and be accepted without judgement or suspicions), but appears thats what they drive well-meaning guys to doing. They flat out tell the men they aren't allowed but don't have any way of stopping them, so what choice to do they have but to appear as females or share an acct with someone who is? It would be incredibly naive to assume no men are there at all imho.

I read that the creator of the site (a man) admitted to having to log in with his wife's acct to avoid being deleted from his own site. Sad. Has to break his own rules.

So many women complain about the man not being involved enough and then when those few men want to be, they tell them to get lost and go to some useless daddy sites that don't have anything there or even work? I don't get it. It seems to be largely populated by people that have had bad experiences or encountered a few bad eggs that ruined it for the entire male gender. Its naive to assume that women aren't capable of the same things.

All I want is some further parenting advice. Thats all. No harm meant and if I gotta do it under cover, then I guess thats what I'll have to do. Stupid. I wouldn't bother and I'd normally blow em off if they wanna be that way, but when I researched the site I found it to be very good, a lot of activity, things to do and look into and advice I feel I could use, so its something I'd like to look into if only for a day or two at least. Also appears during registration that there's nothing stopping anyone from joining up and its assumed your female (because of the site name I guess). We're all parents, why can't we all just act like adults and get along?

The excuses they give on there for "no men" are short-sighted, paranoid, sexist and somewhat lame. Many topics there aren't gender-specific, aren't related to parentiing, making the gender restriction all the more illogical. Women can be mean, dangerous people too.

"Why would men want to be on a Mom site where we talk about breast feeding?" True, I wouldn't look at those topics, I'd look at ones that pertained to me and my life, so there's no fear of Joe Stranger seeing Jane Stranger's talk about her habits and issues with baby. Even if I did, you wouldn't know it and its your choice to talk about it in public viewing on the web. If your that embarrassed then don't talk about it to a buncha faceless strangers on the net imho.

I could ask the same thing of them. Why would Moms on a parenting advice website need to ask about adult male fashions and what shoes their husbands should be wearing? Whats that gotta do with being a mother? Why would men be barred from seeing those topics?

Dads are parents, too. Sites like this aren't letting them be or forcing them to be sneaky just to get perfectly good advice. Yes there's evil men (and women) out there, but barring all of us is not right nor making men go to those extremes to be able to participate. I know many dads probably could care less, but this dad and a few others do. Sorry so long, but I felt the need to vent it out.

Thanks for listening to my points of view. Again I wouldn't bother, but I have to say its a darn good site for parents and I feel totally left out.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:41 PM

I just joined CafeMom as a man, James, and wrote my first post: "I'm a man - is that OK to participate?".

Will see what happens.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:03 PM

I (as James) was immediately kicked out! My account doesn't exist when I try to login

I registered again as James2, and now am NOT asking if it's OK to join, - but I just answered on a thread, and signed James. Will see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting