Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:20 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,073,987 times

Advertisements

More than once when I was trying to teach my child something like "Say excuse me" or "Say Please" "Say Thank You" ect. I have had someone say "OH don't worry about it, it's ok.." and then I will smile and politely respond to them "No it isn't ok, she should remember her manners". But I will say the worst was when my oldest stole a piece of gum from the store and I took her back and made her apologize. Yes, she was upset and crying, she had gotten caught and KNEW she was in trouble. The clerk says "It's ok honey..." At that point I probably wasn't very nice when I said, "No it is NOT ok. She knows better and please don't TELL her stealing is ok." I am sure she wasn't intending the stealing was ok.. just trying to comfort her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 04:50 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,899,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You make a good point.

I raised a very courteous son. The way I would have used that moment as something instructional would have been to have gotten my son's attention in some way, and let him hear me say to the mother and son together - "I am sorry - we didn't mean to be rude." And when the mother said - "Oh, dont worry" (etc) I would have responded - "Thank you for being so understanding" and I would have smiled and gone on.

This would have made the point without it being awkward for all involved. Sure worked for me.
Excellent way of handling it. It is awkward when the parent puts the kid on the spot, and attempts to induce an apology. Whenever it happens, my perspective is that even if the kid apologizes, it isn't sincere. They're just puppeting to appease the parent. A simple quick "sorry" from the parent's mouth is the least embarrassing way of handling it. Chastise the child after the "victim" is out of ear shot.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:31 PM

51 posts, read 164,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
... But I will say the worst was when my oldest stole a piece of gum from the store and I took her back and made her apologize. Yes, she was upset and crying, she had gotten caught and KNEW she was in trouble. The clerk says "It's ok honey..." At that point I probably wasn't very nice when I said, "No it is NOT ok. She knows better and please don't TELL her stealing is ok." I am sure she wasn't intending the stealing was ok.. just trying to comfort her.
That happened to me. I can still feel my heart sink when the clerk leaned over with a big smile and said, "Oh, that's all right!"

As for the "excuse me"s and other mannerly bits we have to instill in usually unwilling little ones, let's look at it from a different perspective. It would never occur to anyone here to bump into someone and not say, "Excuse me." Not a one of us would let a nicety go by without a "Thank you." Most of us remember little, if anything, of what our parents went through to make it happen, so each display of good manners on our part seems to spring from genuine remorse or gratitude. Nope. We're not polite because we're good; we do it because our long-suffering parents drilled it into our thick little skulls again and again and again and...

Back to the present. I bet that poor woman's fake smile was about all she could manage as she watched yet another round of instruction go down the drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting