Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 PM

546 posts, read 2,209,049 times

Advertisements

my 5 yr old son has nice curly hair and lots think he looks like a girl, but i truly believe that once he reaches teenage year, he'll man structure will show, like muscles..etc. he was told by his classmate that he looks like a girl, and my son already responded to him that he's not a girl, and that boy keeps calling him a girl, I don't want my son to call this boy any other names back, but what would u do? I don't want to make any trouble, or am I taking this too serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 08:07 PM

304 posts, read 1,328,445 times
I have 2 boys. When they have been teased in the past (not an ongoing thing, but when it has happened), I tell them to stand up for themselves, like what you told your son to say "I am not a girl", but also that they should know that just because other people are mean and want to be hurtful that it is not okay for them to do it back. I wouldn't get too involved in your child's being teased unless it becomes a daily thing with this kid (or the teaser is luring others into teasing your son). A parent that chimes in every time a child has to deal with a normal life issue (like someone teasing you or not liking you) is setting their child up to be teased more and to not be able to solve his own problems.

It is good your boy is letting you know this is happening, but you shouldn't make a big deal about it, instead encourage his self esteem and keep an ear open to future incidents.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 PM

267 posts, read 973,336 times
Kids tease each other because it gets a rise out of the kid being teased. If your son keeps acting like it doesn't bother him, the others will stop. It won't be fun after a while to those other kids. Tell your son that some times kids are mean, but most of the time kids tease because they don't feel good about themselves. They have to make others look bad so they look good. It's hard for kids to understand why kids tease one another, my young kids don't get it. I've had to explain this several times. If after a couple of weeks ignoring still doesn't get the teasers to stop, maybe talk to the counselor at school or the teacher.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,162,711 times
I would take him for a crewcut.

I understand curly hair is nice but I would try to eliminate a problem before my child started telling me he doesn't want to go to school in the morning.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,964,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post

I understand curly hair is nice but I would try to eliminate a problem before my child started telling me he doesn't want to go to school in the morning.
Agree with this. You owe it to your son.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:22 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,953,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
my 5 yr old son has nice curly hair and lots think he looks like a girl, but i truly believe that once he reaches teenage year, he'll man structure will show, like muscles..etc. he was told by his classmate that he looks like a girl, and my son already responded to him that he's not a girl, and that boy keeps calling him a girl, I don't want my son to call this boy any other names back, but what would u do? I don't want to make any trouble, or am I taking this too serious?
How long is his hair? Sounds like a trip to the barber might be in order.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:23 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,293,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post

A third vote for this. He can grow it longer as he gets older and more able to verbally defend himself.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:35 PM

65 posts, read 143,294 times
My ex had curly hair. It was really nice. Even cut short, you could still see the curls on top though. Get your son a nice short haircut. It's what I do with my boy too. He lost his curls when they shaved his head in the hospital though.

The child that's calling your son a girl goes beyond "teasing" over "hair" ... this is an emasculating behavior and the child doing the name-calling probably has other social maladjustment issues. I'm a retired teacher myself, and have seen this type of behavior before.

If the child in question begins to call your child by female names it's time to speak to the classroom teacher about this situation.

If you'd like to offer your son a reply to give back to the little instigator, that's easy enough too. One little boy in my class had the same problem. His reply was "Look, just because you're unhappy being a boy doesn't mean I am. So stop calling me a girl. I'm not like you."

Problem ended. The instigator was too embarrassed to pursue the taunting anymore and just gave up.

hope this helps ...

Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 PM

546 posts, read 2,209,049 times
I did cut his hair today, but why should we need to do this, it's like living for others, we aren't hurting other kids, right? but I cut it anyways.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,253,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
I did cut his hair today, but why should we need to do this, it's like living for others, we aren't hurting other kids, right? but I cut it anyways.
you shouldn't have to, but if it makes it easier on him, then you probably should cut it. He will probably grow up to look like a boy, but that doesn't help him now at age 5. My son told me the people in his class told him he has a girl name, and I ached for him. I can't change his name now. If it was his hair, I'd probably cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting