Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:52 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't want my sons or daughters help just because they felt oblidged to me.....course I don't have to worry about that cause they really love ME and should the time come where I need their help, they will freely offer......I agree with NJBests above answer as well....you might think you can...but you really can't buy love,...nor respect!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob0905 View Post
We borrowed $100,000 to send our daughter through college, that she was going to pay back when she graduated. That didn't happen and infact she couldn't find a job in her field after college and moved back in with us. We pay her car payment, insurance, cell phone and for cloths. I found her a job at my company making $70,000 per year but she quit after 1 month, they require her to be a work during certain hours and it doesn't fit in her life. We are fortunate that we can afford all of this, but 15 years from now if we needed something and she was in a postion to help, she has no obligation, give me a break.
I hope there's plenty more where that $100k came from because I'm pretty sure you'll be supporting her kids and a boyfriend or two in years to come. You may think you're doing your daughter a favor by shielding her from the real world but if something were to happen and you actually do need help in 15 years time all 3 of you will be up the creek.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
As an adult child I am on the receiving end of two parents who think they are entitled to my husband and I's money...all because they concieved me.

My mother believes because she had a horrible childhood and marriage she feels that we as children should spoil her. She recently went on a trip to Puerto Rico and blew a few whole paychecks, did not pay any of her bills or rent and has asked my siblings to do it for her because we 'have' to after all she raised us.

My father on the other hand cries poverty and feels that we should help him out because he has a 12 year old daughter and he is afraid she will have nothing when he dies. My father never ever paid child support or was there for any of his kids.

I will not give either of them a dime.

Every circumstance is different and as a parent I do not expect Toddler X to take care of me in my golden years. I do not expect a penny from him. All I want is his love, occasional visits and time with my grandchildren. I would be ashamed if I ever had to rely on Toddler X to lend me money or help me out.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
As an adult child I am on the receiving end of two parents who think they are entitled to my husband and I's money...all because they concieved me.

My mother believes because she had a horrible childhood and marriage she feels that we as children should spoil her. She recently went on a trip to Puerto Rico and blew a few whole paychecks, did not pay any of her bills or rent and has asked my siblings to do it for her because we 'have' to after all she raised us.

My father on the other hand cries poverty and feels that we should help him out because he has a 12 year old daughter and he is afraid she will have nothing when he dies. My father never ever paid child support or was there for any of his kids.

I will not give either of them a dime.

Every circumstance is different and as a parent I do not expect Toddler X to take care of me in my golden years. I do not expect a penny from him. All I want is his love, occasional visits and time with my grandchildren. I would be ashamed if I ever had to rely on Toddler X to lend me money or help me out.
YOU ARE MY JUST SO MY KIND OF PERSON !!!!!!!!

(yes, I am screaming that)

It is all about the choices we make in life, and I will be damned if I am going to pay and or suffer because of someone else's bad choices. That is not my problem.

I am in the same boat as you. Having 3 sons, This Papa is waiting (patiently) LOL, for the grandchildren.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:42 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
YOU ARE MY JUST SO MY KIND OF PERSON !!!!!!!!

(yes, I am screaming that)

It is all about the choices we make in life, and I will be damned if I am going to pay and or suffer because of someone else's bad choices. That is not my problem.

I am in the same boat as you. Having 3 sons, This Papa is waiting (patiently) LOL, for the grandchildren.
Thank you Nightcrawler! I would rep you again but must spread the love around.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Oh...well...I don't know what to say. My Mom just called me to "borrow" money, AGAIN. Her life is a crisis. The problem is she had a Mama who always gave her money...that Mama died...so...who does she go to now? And what should I say? "No, forget about it, you can't have your teeth fixed or your medicine, or whatever ever it is that she needs..." and every month it is something.

As for my kids, I don't expect anything...and I definitely did not go $100,000 grand in the hole for any college tuition! They lived at home, and had jobs for college...and they all work now full time, and don't live at home.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Oh...well...I don't know what to say. My Mom just called me to "borrow" money, AGAIN. Her life is a crisis. The problem is she had a Mama who always gave her money...that Mama died...so...who does she go to now? And what should I say? "No, forget about it, you can't have your teeth fixed or your medicine, or whatever ever it is that she needs..." and every month it is something.

As for my kids, I don't expect anything...and I definitely did not go $100,000 grand in the hole for any college tuition! They lived at home, and had jobs for college...and they all work now full time, and don't live at home.

oh well, thats her problem, not yours.

you are the one in control, you will either allow it, or you wont.

people like that that have crisis, will constantley have crises.....it isnt your life or your problem.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:48 PM

507 posts, read 1,537,801 times
I got anxiety reading this thread. I see the issues in my future.

My semi-dysfunctional mother who I feel has many narcissistic traits, and who has made me miserable for most of my life, will one day get old and truly need assistance. No doubt she'll expect me... with the guilt guns a blazen, to take her in.

I dread that day

Old 05-14-2011, 08:31 PM

23 posts, read 37,185 times
There is no way that I expect anything from my son. All I want is a few minutes of his time and the feeling that he cares. Like, Hi Mom and Dad, how are you doing? He never asks about us, and he only grunts when we ask him questions. I'm at my wits end with how to have a relationship with him. He is my only son and I love him dearly and would never expect anything of him, only his respect and love. What do I do?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:52 PM

52 posts, read 96,680 times
The only obligation I have to my parents is to live well and become a good parent myself. They kept telling me that I don't need to repay them with money or material things for everything they have given me because that's their obligation as a parent -- to provide for their children, which they expect me to do. Helping my parents with finances has never been an obligation. Doing so is a privilege for me; I feel happy when I am able to give my parents something, even if they don't ask for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting