Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:02 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,619 times

Advertisements

Faustian Tale definition of Faustian Tale in the Free Online Encyclopedia.
Quote:
Faust (foust), Faustus (fô`stəs, fou`–), or Johann Faust (yō`hän), fl. 16th cent., learned German doctor who traveled widely, performed magical feats, and died under mysterious circumstances. According to legend he had sold his soul to the devil (personified by Mephistopheles in many literary versions) in exchange for youth, knowledge, and magical power.
Innumerable folk tales and invented stories were attached to his name. The first printed version is the Volksbuch (1587) of Johann Spiess, which, in English translation, was the basis of Christopher Marlowe's play Dr. Faustus (c.1588). Many versions followed, ranging from popular buffoonery to highly developed art forms. Spiess and Marlowe represent Faust as a scoundrel justly punished with eternal damnation, but Lessing instead saw in him the symbol of man's heroic striving for knowledge and power and therefore as worthy of praise and salvation.
Doesn't seem to me that the name Faustina is that awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Apparently the mother doesn't care what YOU think. How will that baby be forever linked to something "evil"??? She's a baby. Most people will never remember that her mother took photos of her. What did it cost her?
Thank you !!
That child will not be 'psychologically scarred' by her mother taking pictures of her for a display. Probably people in Denmark don't get hysterical over things like this.
Had you ever heard of the German legend? I haven't. Faustina is a name. Just a name. Had you heard it in conversation, would you have a problem with it? I wouldn't have any idea there was someone else who had that name.

What about here with names like Jude, Ramsey, other biblical names that aren't so positive?

I seriously don't think it's worth getting hysterical over.
"Most people will never remember that her mother took photos of her."

Oh Please! This is eleven years later and the story is still being told and photos shown. And for heavens sake, her mother took photos of her dressed as Hitler and then named her after a fabled doctor who sold his soul to the devil. Gee, how sweet. Certainly creates a warm, fuzzy maternal bonding, doesn't it. Well, maybe to you. To each his/her own. Me? I find it disgustingly narcissistic and sick.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
"Most people will never remember that her mother took photos of her."

Oh Please! This is eleven years later and the story is still being told and photos shown. And for heavens sake, her mother took photos of her dressed as Hitler and then named her after a Nazi doctor. Gee, how sweet. Certainly creates a warm, fuzzy maternal bonding, doesn't it. Well, maybe to you. To each his/her own. Me? I find it disgustingly narcissistic and sick.
Ok, but I'd not think anything less of that child for her mother taking photos. Maybe you would, but I wouldn't.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Ok, but I'd not think anything less of that child for her mother taking photos. Maybe you would, but I wouldn't.
Of course I don't think ill of the child. Its the mother who I find despicable.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Of course I don't think ill of the child. Its the mother who I find despicable.
The mother will get old and die and what difference would it have made? Seriously, in the bigger scheme of things, what difference would it have made?

Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
The mother will get old and die and what difference would it have made? Seriously, in the bigger scheme of things, what difference would it have made?
I feel sorry for the child, who was born to a woman who I see sorely lacking in maternal warmth and love and protectiveness. I think all babies deserve to be worshiped and held in awe and seen as innocent and beautiful in their mother's eyes. Call me old fashioned or sentimental or whatever, but I feel sorry for this child, who's "mother" could use her daughter and distance herself so much from her baby to photograph her like this and name her what she did. When this girl's mother dies and the child looks back at what is left, these photos and her name will be what she will have to remember her "mother." And something tells me that there cannot be much warmth in the "mother-daughter" relationship between this woman and her daughter while living.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I feel sorry for the child, who was born to a woman who I see sorely lacking in maternal warmth and love and protectiveness. I think all babies deserve to be worshiped and held in awe and seen as innocent and beautiful in their mother's eyes. Call me old fashioned or sentimental or whatever, but I feel sorry for this child, who's "mother" could use her daughter and distance herself so much from her baby to photograph her like this and name her what she did. When this girl's mother dies and the child looks back at what is left, these photos and her name will be what she will have to remember her "mother." And something tells me that there cannot be much warmth in the "mother-daughter" relationship between this woman and her daughter while living.
Now you're being ridiculous. You have no idea what kind of mother that woman is, and you have no idea what kind of life that child has had. Who are you to make such judgements?

And something is very wrong with worshipping babies and holding them in awe. That's not old fashioned at all OR sentimental. That's sick.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Now you're being ridiculous. You have no idea what kind of mother that woman is, and you have no idea what kind of life that child has had. Who are you to make such judgements?

And something is very wrong with worshipping babies and holding them in awe. That's not old fashioned at all OR sentimental. That's sick.
This woman used her baby and put her out there for the world to see in "Hitler" garb for her own Artistic Expression. Now, I say that opens the door wide up for "judgment." And I judge it to be inappropriate and cold hearted and signals something very wrong with this mom.

And for your second comment, what exactly about being "in awe" of your own infant is "sick?" I can't imagine a mother not looking at her newborn in wonder and awe. Its called maternal bonding.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
This woman used her baby and put her out there for the world to see in "Hitler" garb for her own Artistic Expression.
She didn't just do Hitler. She dressed her as many different world leaders.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She didn't just do Hitler. She dressed her as many different world leaders.
Yes. All EVIL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting