Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 01:30 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outragedmama View Post
If i had know what Vaccines are made of when my 2 1/2 yr old was born i never would have let him get any vaccines, I let my 2 wk old get the Hep B because when i told the hospital we delivered at that we did not want him to get it they called a social worker and I was afraid of loosing my kids, Well Im not getting Either of them any more vaccines, I will not Poison my children any more, I think not getting them vaccinated is the best decision we can make. we got the forms for the exemptions after fighting with the health department just to get it for 30 mins b/c they said they did not have it then got lectured on our children getting kicked out of school and daycare, and that no doctor will take them, so far we have been kicked out of 5 doctors offices for our choice not to vaccinate but there are a few doc out there who do not disrespect parents for theyre choice, good luck! Its hard but you can do it. Ps i think you should get online and look up exactly what vaccines are made of and look on google and you tube for CDC Vaccine Reaction Pics and Videos before you decide, but a warning you will need a box of cleanex for this.
Maybe doctors don't respect your decision to forego protecting your children against dangerous and deadly diseases because it's a bad decision? Maybe doctors know more than you do?

The issue isn't what's in vaccines. The issue is the quantity of the materials. Anything -- even water -- will act as a poison in large enough quantities. In small enough quantities (like the quantities you'll find in vaccines) anything is harmless. Aruging that vaccine ingredients are dangerous is like arguing that a tuna fish sandwich is deadly. And about equally as convincing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
most of the cdc's images of damadged or dying children are for vaxed kids, yet they use these images to push for more vaccines. Discusting to say the least
Yeah. You wouldn't want to acknowledge what actually happens when you the majority of the population does not vaccinate. Let's pretendthat nothing will happen! No measles, no mumps, no diphtheria, no polio, no hib, no tetanus, no rubella, no HPV. Oh no.

The CDC just made up those diseases so pharmacuetical companies can make a large profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 01:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post

The issue isn't what's in vaccines. The issue is the quantity of the materials. Anything -- even water -- will act as a poison in large enough quantities. In small enough quantities (like the quantities you'll find in vaccines) anything is harmless. Aruging that vaccine ingredients are dangerous is like arguing that a tuna fish sandwich is deadly. And about equally as convincing.
Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide

Old 10-17-2010, 01:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Causes of Hepatitis B- How is Hep B Transmitted & Risk Factors (http://www.hepatitisinfo.org/couldihavehep3_1.html - broken link)

1. I don't have Hep B so my child was not at risk of catching it from me at birth.
2. My newborn baby is not having unprotected sex.
3. My newborn baby is not sharing dirty needles with drug users.
4. My newborn baby is not going to the barbershop.
5. No one in my household has Hep B and even if they did my newborn baby is not sharing toothbrushes or razors with them.

Wouldn't it make more sense to vaccinate adolescents against Hep B, rather then all newborn babies? The Hep B vaccine is not 100% safe. In 1996, 872 serious adverse reactions to the Hep B vaccine were reported to VAERS, 48 of those serious reactions were deaths. In weighing the risk of the disease for a newborn against the risk of the vaccine for a newborn it makes sense to wait until they are older, more at risk and their immune system is fully mature. The only reasons I can see for vaccinating at birth is if the mother tests positive for Hep B and possibly if other members of the household have Hep B.
It is preferable to immunize babies against Hep B for all the reasons that posters on here have said, plus, when the child becomes sexually active, or an injection drug user, or goes to the barbershop (sooner than you may think), or someone in the household gets Hep B, s/he will aleady be protected. About 1/3 of hepatitis patients have no known transmission source, which means we don't yet know everything about Hep B transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'd rep you for this one but I have to spread some rep around first. I have no idea why someone would take the opinion of faceless people on a board over that of her child's pediatrician.
I don't know why people do that, either, but it's common. People will also take the word of Playboy Bunnies, Hollywood actors, etc over the word of the personal physician for the same unknown reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Eh, what do you think the doctor will say?

"Vaccines are completely safe! You are crazy for not doing them!"

That's the gist. That call would be a complete waste of time.
As has been discussed before, any doctor or other HCP who says that to you should no longer be your health provider. Most pediatricians, PNPs, pediatric nurses and public health nurses are very familiar with this concern and will explain the risks/benefits to you.

Quote:
But don't you think an 11 year old will do much better with the vaccine than an infant with a brand new immune system?
No, both will develop antibodies the same way, and the infant will be protected 11 years sooner.

Quote:
Hell no. Neither you nor me are a valid source of information. But in this particular case, I don't think pediatrician will be a source of information either.
Why would a pediatrician not be a good source of information? Who do you ask about your car repair? A doctor? A lawyer? No, you ask a mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I don't, no. But, I understand parent's reluctance to do the 8 shots in 1 pediatric well-baby visits.

That's why it's important to get a good pediatrician. We found ours after "trial and error" and I have always appreciated her candor and honesty. Yes, she wants me to immunize my kids, but when I mentioned to her that I wasn't comfortable with the H1N1 or the HPV vaccines, she said, "no problem". She also gave me the option of getting my kids their flu vaccine via nasal spray instead of an injection because I was a little apprehensive in doing yet another shot on the same day my baby got all of her other ones. She also told me that they can and do offer the MMR shot in 3 different doses for parents who are concerned about the 3-in-1 shot (which rumor has it is the cause of autism) and that she's had a few parents who have opted to come in gradually to get their kids immunized rather than doing it all on the same day.

A good pediatrician wants you to immunize your kids...a great one will help you do it in a way that makes you comfortable, and if spreading out their visits so they're not getting 4 shots in each leg on the same day will get your kid immunized, there are plenty of good pediatricians who will do it.
Since this was written, the MMR/autism link has been thorougly debunked. You cannot get separate vaccines for measles, mumps, and rubella any more, and even if you could, that would be subjecting your child to three shots instead of one. If you have concerns about vaccine additives, it means three times the additives as well.

There has never been an immunization schedule requiring 8 shots at once; the most we ever gave at our office was five, and that's been cut to three with a new combination vaccine.
Quote:
PS: naturopath has nothing to gain financially when he recommends not to vaccinate, which is what I cannot say for pediatricians. That's the difference, dear.
If you think your pediatrician is making money on vaccines, you really have another think coming. Sometimes, the office even loses money on immunizations, depending on what the ins. company reimburses.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is preferable to immunize babies against Hep B for all the reasons that posters on here have said, plus, when the child becomes sexually active, or an injection drug user, or goes to the barbershop (sooner than you may think), or someone in the household gets Hep B, s/he will aleady be protected. About 1/3 of hepatitis patients have no known transmission source, which means we don't yet know everything about Hep B transmission.

I don't know why people do that, either, but it's common. People will also take the word of Playboy Bunnies, Hollywood actors, etc over the word of the personal physician for the same unknown reasons.

As has been discussed before, any doctor or other HCP who says that to you should no longer be your health provider. Most pediatricians, PNPs, pediatric nurses and public health nurses are very familiar with this concern and will explain the risks/benefits to you.

No, both will develop antibodies the same way, and the infant will be protected 11 years sooner.

Why would a pediatrician not be a good source of information? Who do you ask about your car repair? A doctor? A lawyer? No, you ask a mechanic.

Since this was written, the MMR/autism link has been thorougly debunked. You cannot get separate vaccines for measles, mumps, and rubella any more, and even if you could, that would be subjecting your child to three shots instead of one. If you have concerns about vaccine additives, it means three times the additives as well.

There has never been an immunization schedule requiring 8 shots at once; the most we ever gave at our office was five, and that's been cut to three with a new combination vaccine.

If you think your pediatrician is making money on vaccines, you really have another think coming. Sometimes, the office even loses money on immunizations, depending on what the ins. company reimburses.
Exactly. The arugments against the hep b vaccine are nothing more than ill informed fear mongering. Why would you not want to protect your baby and child against a potentially life threatening disease present in much of the world?

Also the VAERS database is a meaningless source of information. You can report anything to the database. The data is looked at and examined for trends but the base itself is not filtered initially. Citing the database itself as a cause for concern about a vaccine is not a good idea.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Isn't this required for school? Something to think about.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Isn't this required for school? Something to think about.
It is required for school in most, if not all, states. However, in many states, a parent can get an exemption with surprising ease.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
HANS - Jury's Still Out on Vaccinations
some intresting facts

Old 10-17-2010, 08:59 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But does the vaccination have to happen within 3 days of birth? I don't see much risk in waiting a few years?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Interesting yes. Facts? No.

Why did you post this bad article four times?

The site itself is a hysterical collection of bad quackery for the gullible. We've got chiropracty, colon cleansing, homeopathy, iridology and thetahealing all the same place. In other words all the expensive stuff that doesn't work. So naturally they go after the one thing that does actually work and doesn't cost very much: vaccines.

All the organic food and purified water still isn't going to protect your baby from whooping cough, hib or tetanus. All the breastmilk in the world still won't offer protection against measles, mumps, rubella or polio the way vaccines do.

Much better information on the subject of vaccine myths right here:

Immunizations: Misconception #11

Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
But does the vaccination have to happen within 3 days of birth? I don't see much risk in waiting a few years?
Have to happen? No. I'm now going to say something that some will find very controversial, but after nearly 40 years of working in pediatrics, including 11 years in an immunization clinic, it's something I firmly believe.

It is simply easier to immunize your child for Hep B at the same time s/he is being immunized for all the other diseases. Hep B is a series of 3 doses of vaccine; properly spaced it takes 6 months. The regular immunization schedule has kids finished with their immunizations by age two, usually earlier. Then they don't need any more immunizations (other than annual flu vaccine) until age 5. When parents delay Hep B, it often doesn't happen at all. It's harder than you think to make those three appointments for nothing more than shots; the time it takes to schedule them, drive to them, wait in the waiting room, and drive home is far more than the time it takes to get the shot. There is no medical reason a child should not get Hep B at the same time as all their other immunizations. Toddler are notoriously difficult to give immunizations to, and most kids don't do very well with shots from about ages 2-10. You will be doing your child a big favor to get the shots when they are infants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting