Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:39 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,054,754 times

Advertisements

Title pretty much sums it up. My son got his 1st HEP B vaccine a few weeks ago...I did some research and decided against it. I wish I had read up on it before. Anyhow, as you may know, the HEP B vaccine is a 3-shot vaccine given over the course of 3 months. Since he already got the 1st dose, is it safe to abandon it at this point ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
Yes, of course. If you start a series, you don't necessarily have to finish it. Just be sure to make a note that she's had the first one, because if during her teen years you decide to finish the series, she may only need the last two. (Or she still may need all three... I don't know... but you can ask about it! )

Old 04-05-2010, 08:19 AM

280 posts, read 1,136,166 times
I know as an adult that if you stopped mid-series and then change your mind you can just pick right back up where you left off, but I'm not sure about if you started as an infant. But either way, there are no adverse side effects from stopping the vaccine series other than not being immune to HBV. People do it all the time.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:51 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Yes, you can stop anytime.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:30 AM

thanks everyone. Why in the world they protect babies from HEP B I have no clue when most adults don't even have this vaccine. HEP B used to be mandatory for people in the healthcare setting that come in contact with blood. I think it's totally unnecessary for babies.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
thanks everyone. Why in the world they protect babies from HEP B I have no clue when most adults don't even have this vaccine. HEP B used to be mandatory for people in the healthcare setting that come in contact with blood. I think it's totally unnecessary for babies.
Did you know that each of us is only something like 7 people removed from every other person in the world? Why vaccinate against something like HEP-B? Because you never know who everyone you know knows. What happens if your baby gets sick and ends up in the hospital? Babies get the vaccine because they are more likely than most to end up in the hospital if they do get sick. Same logic as giving it to nurses and teachers. Target the group with the highest exposure even if the exposure rate is low and you reduce the spread from exposure.

What you really need to ask is what is the risk of th shot vs. the benefit of not getting HEP-B if exposed.

Out of curiosity, what is your objection to vaccinating against HEP-B? What negative thing do you think will happen, and what are the odds, if you continue the series?

And the person to ask if any harm is done in starting and not completing the series is your child's doctor not posters on a board. Why in the world would you believe posters on a board over your own child's pediatrician?

And don't believe everything you read on the internet. Anyone can post anything they want due to freedom of speech. I'd suggest you ask an expert. Look at what the AMA or WHO have to say about the vaccines.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Did you know that each of us is only something like 7 people removed from every other person in the world? Why vaccinate against something like HEP-B? Because you never know who everyone you know knows. What happens if your baby gets sick and ends up in the hospital? Babies get the vaccine because they are more likely than most to end up in the hospital if they do get sick. Same logic as giving it to nurses and teachers. Target the group with the highest exposure even if the exposure rate is low and you reduce the spread from exposure.

What you really need to ask is what is the risk of th shot vs. the benefit of not getting HEP-B if exposed.

Out of curiosity, what is your objection to vaccinating against HEP-B? What negative thing do you think will happen, and what are the odds, if you continue the series?

And the person to ask if any harm is done in starting and not completing the series is your child's doctor not posters on a board. Why in the world would you believe posters on a board over your own child's pediatrician?

And don't believe everything you read on the internet. Anyone can post anything they want due to freedom of speech. I'd suggest you ask an expert. Look at what the AMA or WHO have to say about the vaccines.
Causes of Hepatitis B- How is Hep B Transmitted & Risk Factors (http://www.hepatitisinfo.org/couldihavehep3_1.html - broken link)

Quote:
Hepatitis B transmission methods can include:

Being born to a mother who has hepatitis B. Pregnant women who have hepatitis B should ask their medical professionals about vaccinating their newborn babies to protect against infection
People who have unprotected sex with someone who is infected. People who have hepatitis B may not look sick so it is important to always use condoms
People who use illegal drugs and share needles or syringes
In some countries, people can also get the hepatitis B virus from visiting barbers who may not have clean razors
People who live in the same house as people who have the virus. If you are living with an infected person, you should be careful and not share personal items such as razors and toothbrushes
In some cases, people become infected with the virus during hospital stays
Medical professionals are also at risk for getting the hepatitis B virus and should follow proper procedures for protecting themselves
1. I don't have Hep B so my child was not at risk of catching it from me at birth.
2. My newborn baby is not having unprotected sex.
3. My newborn baby is not sharing dirty needles with drug users.
4. My newborn baby is not going to the barbershop.
5. No one in my household has Hep B and even if they did my newborn baby is not sharing toothbrushes or razors with them.

Wouldn't it make more sense to vaccinate adolescents against Hep B, rather then all newborn babies? The Hep B vaccine is not 100% safe. In 1996, 872 serious adverse reactions to the Hep B vaccine were reported to VAERS, 48 of those serious reactions were deaths. In weighing the risk of the disease for a newborn against the risk of the vaccine for a newborn it makes sense to wait until they are older, more at risk and their immune system is fully mature. The only reasons I can see for vaccinating at birth is if the mother tests positive for Hep B and possibly if other members of the household have Hep B.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:44 PM

664 posts, read 1,947,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Title pretty much sums it up. My son got his 1st HEP B vaccine a few weeks ago...I did some research and decided against it. I wish I had read up on it before. Anyhow, as you may know, the HEP B vaccine is a 3-shot vaccine given over the course of 3 months. Since he already got the 1st dose, is it safe to abandon it at this point ?

Thanks

Of course you can stop. You need the whole series of 3 for it to be affective, but stopping won't harm the baby.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Because the shots are traumatic and there may be too much aluminum in the vaccine. Forget Thermisol which is pretty much gone now-a-days. Aluminum is the big culprit you will be hearing more and more off. My baby is not a junky, will not be shooting up....will not be having sex anytime soon......there is almost zero possibility he can contract it. I ask here because Doctors are not God's.....depending on where they went to medical school, who taught them and their own personal experiences, they form their own opinions. I do not trust doctors...many of them make countless mistakes just like any other HUMAN in any other field. When it comes to my baby, I call the shots...nobody else.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
A friend of mine had her daughter vaxed for it when she was 5... she ended up having hallucinations, freaking out, and an ambulance had to be called. The doctor said that psychotic episodes are possible, and that she should not continue the series. With every vaccine, there is a risk of injury or side effects. For some vaccines, the risk of the illness is much greater. With others, it's not. Since a newborn is not going to contract hepatitis (unless the mom is positive), the risk of injury far outweighs the benefit of protection. For teens engaging in risky behavior, the opposite is true. For everyone else, it's somewhere in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting