Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,741 times

Advertisements

I would be concerned about treating it as a control issue without a discussion with the doc. IMO this goes beyond the need to control environment. Does she have routines at daycare that cannot be disrupted? What would happen if you suggested - how about 5 sips tonight? or something along those lines?

To me, based on the description these go beyond needing to call the shots and are crossing into ritualized behavior. Does she have the words to tell you what she thinks will happen if these things don't get done in just the right way? What might happen if she takes 5 or 7 sips of water? See if you can discuss these things when she is calm and not in the middle of her routine. The doc will be interested in her answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,982 times
I really appreciate all of your responses. Sounds like some of this might be normal 3 year old stuff, but some of it might not be. I will email her pediatrician and schedule an appointment if they agree, since she's not due to go back for another 9 months otherwise.

In the meantime, I am definitely going to ask her some questions about her behavior when we're not in the moment. She's very verbal so I think this is a great idea.

And to the person who mentioned the boy at daycare and it was more like it was "wrong" as opposed to just not how he wanted it... this is pretty much the same type of reaction my child has. Like if I do it differently, I'm not doing it correctly.

Thanks fellow parents!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Mine does the same thing. We've always tried to follow a routine. I think my daughter finds some comfort in knowing what is going to happen next and that sleep is at the end of it all. Bathtime, pjs, toothbrushing, ear cleaning, lotion on the cheeks, storytime (with a cuddle toy), lights out and Mom or Dad there for about 10 minutes. If she's still awake, a gentle kiss and 'good night'.

There's so little they can control, and so many new things thrown their way each day. Having a familiar routine is like an airplane making a long runway approach to a gentle landing.

She sounds ok to me!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Mine does the same thing. We've always tried to follow a routine. I think my daughter finds some comfort in knowing what is going to happen next and that sleep is at the end of it all. Bathtime, pjs, toothbrushing, ear cleaning, lotion on the cheeks, storytime (with a cuddle toy), lights out and Mom or Dad there for about 10 minutes. If she's still awake, a gentle kiss and 'good night'.

There's so little they can control, and so many new things thrown their way each day. Having a familiar routine is like an airplane making a long runway approach to a gentle landing.

She sounds ok to me!
Having a routine is one thing. My kids always knew when to expect a snack, that nap came right after lunch, etc. Many kids are used to a bed time routine. But I think the very specific way that the OP's daughter insists that the toothpaste be put on the brush, the number of sips of water, how she sits to drink her water, and the fact that she throws a huge tantrum if anything varies, points to something other than the normal need for routine.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:58 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Sounds a bit like possible OCD, my DD has a mild case of it. The fixation on a particular number sounds familiar. She was into sorting, stacking, and counting. The worst thing was probably her tendency to hoard useless things, we did have to have some professional help with that.
If it is OCD, catching it this early might be a blessing.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:16 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
She sounds very precise. Mine was but got over it. Sorting by color, size, weight, etc., her food and toys, everything, from the time she was about 6 months old. Turns out she has a very high IQ and her spacial is 10 points higher.

Maybe she is insisting on all of this stuff because you have played along for a period of time and it has become habit. She may not remember why 6 sips, but because it has been for a while, that's what it should be. The same with the rest of her little quirks.

She will learn that the world won't end if she takes 5 sips, but when she is asked and left to decide, she will always choose what she is used to. Talk while she is sipping so she doesn't count. Put a different amount of water in her cup. Ask her questions while doing teeth so she can't fixate on her habits and has to think about something totally unrelated during the process. If it is no longer her decision how and when something is done, she will have to change to suit what is now expected by you, not her.

Perhaps if you make changes in those particular things and allow her to have choices in other things, varying from day to day, she will work herself out of the habits. If she has a fit, she'll get over it.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,982 times
Update- so I asked my dd in the car yesterday why she likes (didn't say needs...haha) to take 6 sips of water and she said because when she turns 6 she can take the school bus to school. :-)

Then I suggested that we try four sips of water tonight because she's going to turn 4 on her next birthday. She said "ok" and then said, "and the next time we'll do 5, and then 6, and then 7".

I talked to my dad about this behavior and he thinks I'm making a big deal over nothing and kids this age really are trying to establish their own structures and control. He essentially said, "roll with it and just make sure you're in charge of the big issues".

Old 04-14-2010, 10:03 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
Wow she sure had a good reason! How cute is that. I would still check with the pediatrician just as a precaution to rest your mind.

Just when you stop worrying about one thing it stops and gives you one more thing to worry about.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,741 times
Good to hear the update, sounds like 3 year old thinking! Especially if you can work her out of the specificity (numbers, etc) without her freaking out, I would be less likely to suspect a problem. Always better to discuss things in a calm place, rather than in the moment. You just never know what is going on in those little minds!

Old 04-17-2010, 07:20 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times
I'm a prek teacher and I work with 3 year olds everyday. I don't think the behavior is out of the ordinary for now. I notice that children in my class also do things in similar ways everyday and if I interrupt them then they get irritated so I just let them be. I notice it a lot more with numbers too. I think sometimes when they are learning to count and do new activities, their brain wants to do it over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting