Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 AM

13 posts, read 28,250 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am thinking of moving to the Monaca area, going to college at penn state Beaver or the community college of Beaver and wanted to get some info on the area. Good places to live, job market, safe area etc.
Thanks

Last edited by TygerLily; 06-21-2007 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: adding info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 07:41 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times
Not a bad area at all. There are probably cheap jobs for a college student, but not any real career type jobs. The Beaver Valley Mall is there, Lowes, Wally-World, some chain restaurants. You can live in Monaca, Center, Hopewell, Rochester, Freedom, Beaver, Bridgewater, Conway, and New Sewickley. They are all just a few minutes from the campus, which is on top of a hill across from the mall. You can't see it from the mall, but it's there.

This is very important!!! DO NOT live in Aliquippa. Do not go to Aliquippa. Don't even say Aliquippa. Also important to know, some very nice towns like Center, and Hopewell have Aliquippa addresses. Learn where the borders are and what makes the difference. It won't affect you, but ask what school district you are living in. You will know what town you are actually in then.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:27 AM

Dear South Range Family,
Thank you so much for your information, it really helps to know what areas are safe and which ones to stay away from. They all look the same on a map. In reading some of the other posts about bad areas, I started to get a little freaked out.
I will be looking for a job with a veterinarian. Are there any in the area that you recommend? Also, you mentioned that the school is at the top of a hill? I was wondering about the snow conditions in that area. Do they keep the roads in pretty good shape? How easy will it be to get to the top of that hill in the snow?? I also saw a post about the high cost of car insurance being on average $2500/year. Is this normal for that area??
Sorry for all my questions, its hard being so far away I can't just drive to the area and check it out. Thanks for your help. I am very excited to be moving to the area, the pics I have seen are beautiful!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
Dear South Range Family,
Thank you so much for your information, it really helps to know what areas are safe and which ones to stay away from. They all look the same on a map. In reading some of the other posts about bad areas, I started to get a little freaked out.
I will be looking for a job with a veterinarian. Are there any in the area that you recommend? Also, you mentioned that the school is at the top of a hill? I was wondering about the snow conditions in that area. Do they keep the roads in pretty good shape? How easy will it be to get to the top of that hill in the snow?? I also saw a post about the high cost of car insurance being on average $2500/year. Is this normal for that area??
Sorry for all my questions, its hard being so far away I can't just drive to the area and check it out. Thanks for your help. I am very excited to be moving to the area, the pics I have seen are beautiful!
If I recall correctly, Brodhead Rd is a pretty major roadway, and would get snow maintence quickly.

Sad about Alliquippa... it was a nice little place when I lived in Monaca 25 years ago.

I met my husband at PSU Beaver in 1979... been together ever since -- but we now live in California.

Good luck! I loved it in Monaca -- and we lived downtown -- which probably isn't as nice as back then. I'd tell you where we lived but it burned down years ago and the owner built office spaces there instead...

Old 06-23-2007, 07:50 AM

There are really only two places in Western Pa. Top of the hill, and bottom of the hill. Those boros and towns are pretty good at keeping their roads clean. I wouldn't worry about it. There's a small vet clinic on Broadhead Road in Hopewell (at 5 points), and a larger one in New Sewickley TWP. on Route 68 heading towards Zelienople. I don't remember the names, but you could try a Google yellow pages search. Try 15042 for a zip when you search. I'm sure there are more, but those are the only two I know.

I never paid that much for insurance. I think I paid somewhere around $1200 a year for two full coverage vehicles. I also think I was paying a higher premium, because I wreck a lot. ( That's what I tell people when they don't want to wear a seatbelt in my car).

Old 06-23-2007, 10:59 AM

Thank you so much for your recommendations I am feeling better and better about my move. Whew I have a few more questions Who do you recommend for car insurance, good bank in the area, and I have been looking at an apartment complex called Brodhead North, on Brodhead road....any info about this place?? or any others in the area. Also, why is the cost of community college so darn expensive??
Thank you all so much for letting me pick your brain, I cannot tell you how much this is helping me out.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:51 AM

I really couldn't recommend an insurance company. There are so many. Shop around for the best deal. I have Erie only because my uncle is my agent. You have to have an extremely clean record to be accepted by them. I like Sky bank, and People's Home Savings, but they changed their name to something that I can't remember now.

If the apartment is the one I'm thinking of, it's in Center Township across from Center Grange Road. Not a bad area at all, but it's right up against Broadhead road. The pool is between the buildings and the road. I remember driving by and checking out the babes in bikinis.
Broadhead Rd. is the main drag that runs from Monaca through Center, the decent part of Aliquippa, Hopewell, and all the way to Moon Township. It runs parallel with route 60. When you get off 60, every exit will put you on Broadhead road. It's a busy road. I don't really know anything about the college fees. I got lucky, my daughter managed to get a scholarship from Robert Morris University in Moon.

One more thing about Broadhead road. If you start at the mall take Broadhead down the hill to Monaca. The Ohio River will be on your left. Continue straight through town always keeping the river on your left. When you leave the other end of town you will be on route 51. (It's the same road, just a different name) 51 will take you all the way up river to Moon Twp. and put you back on Broadhead Road again. It'a a giant circle.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Dear South Range Family:
I cannot thank you enough for all of your great information it is really helping me feel more comfortable with the move. I have been lucky enough (so far - knock on wood) to have a clean driving record. It is good to know that Brodhead Rd is one giant circle so if I get lost, I know I will eventually make it back home It is also great to know that we will be in a good part of town if that is where we end up renting. We have also been seeing lots of homes for rent in the area and may consider that as well.
Once again, thank you so much
Take Care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania