Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:56 AM

169 posts, read 661,289 times

Advertisements

Very Very True. It is much colder/snowier on the mountain that is one of the reasons that we moved. Do your research. The mountain was not a place for us. They call it a different world and it is! The fog and wind are terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 07:39 AM

6 posts, read 20,310 times
Default I looked houses in Indian Mountain Lakes

And I discounted every single one of them for the same reason: flooded basements. I then heard this was a (little talked about) big problem up there; a very high water table. I don't think a little water in a basement or crawlspace is a big deal, but they had a foot of water weeks after the last time it rained.

Sierra View is ok (the lower part is better). Birch Brier is great (not one crime that I've ever heard about there). I don't like Indian Mountain (just my opinion, but not only the water thing, they've also had some crime). Sun Valley is the place people say to stay away from; and some parts of it (the ones next to Birch Hollow) are not very attractive, but some parts are actually quite nice...by the way, it's not like it's high crime or anything, it's just people who can only afford small houses. They're still good people.

In general, I Think the crime in the poconos is overblown. Look at this website...the highest crime part of the poconos (east stroudsburg) is well below average. I've lived here 4 years (from Long Island where most of the people in my area are from - that or jersey) and I still hear about a woman that shot her husband or something 4 years ago like it happened yesterday. (By the way, I think part of the problem with the perception is how it's reported; that woman that shot her husband did it from her car and it was reported as a "drive by".) But even from low crime long island, crap like that has happened much more recently and was replaced by another incident.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:53 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwr6348 View Post
I would look at Bear Creek Lakes...It's not gated, so you'll be able to explore it yourself. Also, it has a 160 acre motorboat lake, two beaches, a clubhouse, heated pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, boat slip...from my experience it's one of the nicest communities up there. Whatever you do, if you end up looking at Stroudsburg stay far away from Country Club of the Poconos and Big Ridge as several developers are having some big issues in there.
That is an electric motored boating lake, so I noticed while visiting there last week. Not power motors........very nice though.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminefrius View Post
And I discounted every single one of them for the same reason: flooded basements. I then heard this was a (little talked about) big problem up there; a very high water table. I don't think a little water in a basement or crawlspace is a big deal, but they had a foot of water weeks after the last time it rained.

Sierra View is ok (the lower part is better). Birch Brier is great (not one crime that I've ever heard about there). I don't like Indian Mountain (just my opinion, but not only the water thing, they've also had some crime). Sun Valley is the place people say to stay away from; and some parts of it (the ones next to Birch Hollow) are not very attractive, but some parts are actually quite nice...by the way, it's not like it's high crime or anything, it's just people who can only afford small houses. They're still good people.

In general, I Think the crime in the poconos is overblown. Look at this website...the highest crime part of the poconos (east stroudsburg) is well below average. I've lived here 4 years (from Long Island where most of the people in my area are from - that or jersey) and I still hear about a woman that shot her husband or something 4 years ago like it happened yesterday. (By the way, I think part of the problem with the perception is how it's reported; that woman that shot her husband did it from her car and it was reported as a "drive by".) But even from low crime long island, crap like that has happened much more recently and was replaced by another incident.
Well there was a lot more then the one lady who shot her husband.
Unfortunately, all since the influx after 9/11. But, many more shootings.
I can think of just off hand one by Music City street off of 209. One in Penn Estates ( husband shoots wife after she leaves battered center) A shooting downtown involving a few people. Then there is the recent ones where the NY police shooters were picked up in the Poconos, having first been seen on Ramble Bush Rd. just outside Penn Estates.

The fact is we use to jog on these streets that don't feel safe anymore.
I personally feel safe during the day hours, no problem. But, by nightfall.....
I'd rather not be out alone. I think it is not just in the Pocono area however, looking thru City-Data it is just about all over the place, nationwide.

I hadn't heard about the Indian Mt Lake water problem. But, I wanted also to add that I saw many homes sump pumping their water out in Pocono Farms.
It surprised me to see this as I think it is a lovely community. But, it also must have a low water table.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 20,310 times
Default well, I really meant to be more specific...

the "West End" part of the poconos (Pleasant Valley School District). I've lived in Birch Brier Estates for 4 years and at least in my development, I haven't heard of one single crime. Not even a little mailbox baseball. I've jogged in my neighborhood, and the last thing you would ever think about is that you were going to be hurt in some way (unless maybe you're worried about falling off the little bridge that runs into the brook that runs through the development).

I definitely wouldn't say the same for a lot of neighborhoods throughout the poconos.

Another great thing out here I haven't seen anyone else mention is the plusses to the fact that so many people come from NYC metro. You instantly have something in common with people. I'm actually a pretty shy person, but I made tons of friends from next door to the end of the street within a year (it certainly helps you get to know people that someone's having a neighborhood party ever weekend in the summer....and the properties are big enough that you can NOT party too if you want quiet).

Old 08-15-2007, 10:42 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,199 times
For some reason the human "garbage" that has invaded the Poconos seems
to buy (or rent) in the gated communities...maybe the criminals feel safer
there too LOL...in any event..definitely check out Bear Creek...Don't know
much about Indian Mt. Lakes....Lake Naomi is just gorgeous...a little pricey
but really nice...not gated..also Big Bass Lake in Gouldsboro, another nice
community.....DEFINITELY stay out of PCP Pocono Country Place..just trouble
all the time...as far as the Stroudsburg, East Burg area...very crowded, a lot
of traffic and kids getting into trouble it seems all the time...A man was robbed taking money out of an ATM on Main Street, Stroudsburg tha other
night by two thugs..with a gun.....sure this can happen anywhere...but it
makes me sad...You can no longer walk on Main Street after dark....Good
luck on your search....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania