Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:14 PM

11 posts, read 59,693 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are middle-aged women and currently live in Florida but we both really despise the unrelenting severe heat and humidity and want to move North to an area with a change of seasons, and that's fairly close to big metro areas but also with a somewhat rural feel (best of both worlds). I lived in central Jersey for a couple of years and LOVED the weather and the proximity to the city...but everything was very expensive, and not quiet enough for my partner. How's the Doylestown area as far as being accepting of a lesbian couple and also, is the housing available and affordable (we'll be buying in the $150,000-$350,000 range, and looking for a house w/ 3-4 bedrooms, at least 2 baths and studio space...we need a mother-in-law space and I'm an artist)?

Thanks!

PS: I also ride a road bike...how's the area for paved bicycle trails, if anyone knows? And is the terrain generally flat or hilly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 07:01 AM

6 posts, read 22,664 times
It is definately not a good area for people of your lifestyle. You should try moving closer to New York City if you want to be accepted

Old 08-09-2007, 08:17 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,425 times
Also,because we just moved to Doylestown and I looked at lots of houses,you will not find a decent house of that size for that price.There does seem to be lots of biking interest.I know there is a large gay population around New Hope,but it is also very expensive.You may be able to find something of a fixer upper if you are willing to do the work.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower_454 View Post
It is definately not a good area for people of your lifestyle. You should try moving closer to New York City if you want to be accepted
You did not give any info that would qualify you as far as your response...do you live in Doylestown and would you say your response is representative of the town as a whole or is that just your own feeling? (I thought since Doylestown is only 10 miles from New Hope that it might be more liberal-minded as New Hope is and yet less expensive).

Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Also,because we just moved to Doylestown and I looked at lots of houses,you will not find a decent house of that size for that price.There does seem to be lots of biking interest.I know there is a large gay population around New Hope,but it is also very expensive.You may be able to find something of a fixer upper if you are willing to do the work.
Thank you for your response. Do you know of any areas on the east side of PA that would be more affordable and also might be liberal in atmosphere (like a college or university town)? For instance, does anyone know what Easton would be like in these respects?

Old 08-09-2007, 08:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanArtist View Post
Thank you for your response. Do you know of any areas on the east side of PA that would be more affordable and also might be liberal in atmosphere (like a college or university town)? For instance, does anyone know what Easton would be like in these respects?
The Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area is part of a region collectively known as the Lehigh Valley, and it is growing rapidly as a bedroom community to both NYC and Philadelphia, which has accordingly pushed real estate values upward. I'd personally recommend Historic Bethlehem to you both, which I featured in one of my photo tours: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...hoto-tour.html

Allentown has a sketchier reputation for crime, but it is also home to a major annual pride festival. Here is a link to Pride of the Greater Lehigh Valley: Pride of the Greater Lehigh Valley (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex) - Pride GLV Headlines (http://www.prideglv.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemi d=166 - broken link)

As a gay college student myself, I can tell you that I've received very little prejudice or intolerance here in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Scranton isn't exactly noted for being "liberal," but it is, per capita, one of the most heavily-Democratic cities in the nation. The college towns of Central Pennsylvania are like a cross between "Bedford Falls" and "Mayberry" all wrapped into one, but I wouldn't exactly call them liberal by any means.

Here is a link to the NEPA Rainbow Alliance, which serves the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metroplex. Home - Northeastern Pennsylvania Rainbow Alliance - Gay NEPA

I'll agree that you won't find what you're looking for in Bucks County. New Hope might be a LGBT haven, but it's also only such if you have the funding to back it up. You may want to consider Bethlehem, Stroudsburg, or even Scranton/Wilkes-Barre for relatively-affordable medium-sized areas within 2 hours or so of Philly and NYC.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 PM

3 posts, read 10,020 times
Default "Family Friendly" Assistance!

Hi. I saw your post on here, Moderator cut: Removed I don't know if you have ever thought about SC, but I live in Aiken SC, and it is very "family" friendly. I have a partner of 7 years, and although Aiken has a population of around 100 thousand there are 3 gay/lesbian bars within a 20 min. drive of my house, and another larger club about 45 minutes away with a lesbian restaurant w/i walking distance from it. We are about 3 hours from the mountains...2.5 hours from Atlanta...2.5 hours to the beach! I love it here! But enough of my "sell" of Aiken. Moderator cut: Removed I wish you much success.

Christy

Last edited by xxman777; 08-10-2007 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 08-10-2007, 05:39 AM

6 posts, read 22,664 times
I'd recommend SF

Old 08-10-2007, 05:51 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower_454 View Post
I'd recommend SF
I think what you're trying to say is "move anywhere...but not near me".

Would that be a FAIR assumption?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I'll agree that you won't find what you're looking for in Bucks County. New Hope might be a LGBT haven, but it's also only such if you have the funding to back it up. You may want to consider Bethlehem, Stroudsburg, or even Scranton/Wilkes-Barre for relatively-affordable medium-sized areas within 2 hours or so of Philly and NYC.
Thanks so very much for your response...EXACTLY the kind of help I was looking for here! I WILL definitely check out the areas you suggest! Really do appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania