Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:11 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,199 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone would kindly respond to this......I havent had much luck in finding out specifically what areas the gang infiltration is in pa.

We are considering Lehigh valley area/Bucks county area or lower saucon valley area.

The schools appear to be good, neighborhoods appear to be fine....so whats the deal with the crime rate and gangs?

Where are they, what cities do we NOT want to live near?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 05:36 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Reading for sure. The DEA just gave PA lots of bucks for patrolling Route 222 from Reading to Lancaster. It's called the "heroin highway". This is part of what has made me start to question moving to the Ephrata area, as it's right of Route 222.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:37 PM

70 posts, read 128,202 times
Ephrata has had a substantial drug problem for quite some time. When I was in HS all the druggies would drive down there to score. The town is a weird mix of super-religious with a lot of shady characters walking around as well.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:27 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,199 times
Anyone have comments on the lehigh area????

Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,349 times
I didn't realize Ephrata had a drug problem. The town seems nice and quiet; downtown has alot of charm. I guess looks can really be deceiving.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:50 AM

84 posts, read 419,740 times
Hi, we live in the Lehigh Valley and love it! There is some gang activity in the city of Allentown (from what I've read in the paper), so I'd stay away from there all together (although there are some nice parts on the one side, you'd have to know the area to be sure you'd be in a good section). Parkland and East Penn School Districts are both very good districts with more well-to-do families, but still lower taxes. Let me know if I can answer specific questions you may have.

I'd stay away from Reading like others have said. We haven't even been to the VF outlets in years because it's just a run down creepy area and we're afraid to get lost with their confusing streets.

GraysMom

Old 09-05-2006, 02:29 PM

70 posts, read 128,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I didn't realize Ephrata had a drug problem. The town seems nice and quiet; downtown has alot of charm. I guess looks can really be deceiving.
Maybe it's better now than it used to be. Of course, a town can look quite charming at 3 PM and downright scary at 3 AM there's many parts of NYC like that too.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 20,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysmom8 View Post
Hi, we live in the Lehigh Valley and love it! There is some gang activity in the city of Allentown (from what I've read in the paper), so I'd stay away from there all together (although there are some nice parts on the one side, you'd have to know the area to be sure you'd be in a good section). Parkland and East Penn School Districts are both very good districts with more well-to-do families, but still lower taxes. Let me know if I can answer specific questions you may have.

I'd stay away from Reading like others have said. We haven't even been to the VF outlets in years because it's just a run down creepy area and we're afraid to get lost with their confusing streets.

GraysMom
i agree parkland and that area are pretty much the best areas! i wouldnt move into allentown. alot of gangs and drugs.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:14 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,432 times
Lancaster and Ephrata are really picking up in gang activity and all that goodness from an influence from reading. Parts of york are starting to decay. There is the occasional story in Harrisburg about gang activity. As long as you stay out of the actual city itself and stay in the suburbs in most of the areas in south central PA it's significantly safe than in the cities.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:02 AM

17 posts, read 77,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
There used to be Klan rallies there, IIRC. Yeah, great place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania