Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 13,399 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is considering taking a job in Pennsylvania and we'd both there together after graduation (we're both women in our early 20's) and there are a few locations she's being offered: Allentown, Harrisburg, King of Prussia, Pittsburgh and Wilkes-Barre. We know little to nothing about all of these places so I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to the gay friendly or not gay friendly areas and how the crime is (I've heard good and bad), and any other general information about the cities! Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 AM

443 posts, read 600,415 times
Pennsylvania is a very large state population wise, and you are going to find backwards redneck areas, and liberal progressive areas.

I know Pittsburgh well. Though it has a reputation where I read on online forums such as people thinking it would be harsh to the gay community because of it's industrial past, but this is far from the truth. In the city, especially the east end, it is very college educated, and liberal.

I wouldn't see any areas really having any issues this day in age, but after reading the political forums on this city-data site I guess there are a lot of people still out there living in the stone age. That's what scares me about internet sites, because it forces me to ask myself, "do people out there really think and act like this?"

Old 10-11-2011, 11:58 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,721 times
I'm just going to guess that Pittsburgh and King of Prussia are probably your best bets.

Depending of course ... do you prefer urban, suburban, rural, college town or small city ?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:58 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
Philadelphia is one of the most gay friendly cities in the world.

Just yesterday was the day long "OutFest" that covered many city blocks and tens of thousands of LGBT folks came out. The Mayor, Michael Nutter, was there. Years ago the City Council passed pro-gay ordinances that make illegal discrimination in employment, housing, credit, education, public accommodation, etc.

Philly has a large and impressive community center and dozens of LGBT organizations meet there. We have the free weekly PGN - Philadelphia Gay News, a newspaper that has been coming out for over 35 years. There are many clubs, bars, restaurants, cafes, shops, etc. that cater to lesbians and gay men. Philly even has a section of Center City called "The Gayborhood." The oldest LGBT bookshop in the US is Giovanni's Room on Pine Street in The Gayborhood.

If you don't want to live in a big city, but prefer a smaller town or the suburbs, I would recommend New Hope, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Swarthmore, West Chester ... but beware - these communities are 'upscale' and can be very pricey.

You might want to consider Bethlehem and Easton - once gritty blue collar towns that are coming up and are both historic and charming, and LGBT friendly as well. Bethlehem has a great women's bar/disco complex (gay men are welcome too) called Diamondz. There is a LGBT friendly restaurant, owned by a lesbian in Easton called Ashley's.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:01 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,531 times
It doesn't get much more gay friendly than Philadelphia. The rest of Pennsylvania has been historically much less tolerant but in the latest polls the vast majority of Pennsylvanians are now for gay marriage so the entire state is fairly progressive in this respect now. Although I imagine there are still some very unfriendly locations, all the places you've listed are for the most part areas that i would assume that would be tolerant. Pittsburgh being likely the most progressive of the bunch.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:10 PM

12 posts, read 34,403 times
King of Prussia can access all the Philly stuff. I think Pittsburgh and Harrisburg would also be just fine. I don't know Allentown or Wilkes-Barre well enough to say.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,591 times
Harrisburg, King of Prussia or Pittsburgh

Harrisburg, and the county in which it resides, has one of the highest rates of same-sex couples per capita in the state

Old 10-12-2011, 11:37 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times
Pittsburgh was rated the 5th most LGBT friendly city in the US by the Advocate...and ranks very high in other national publication as well....

Pittsburgh and Philly are going to have the high concentrations of LGBT lifestyles.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
In my recent visit to Pittsburgh, I saw a number of places donning the rainbow pride flag outside their establishment, whether it was a bar, club, restaurant, etc. I think Pittsburgh, you'll be fine.

Same with Philadelphia, theres an actual "gayborhood" where even the street signs have a rainbow on them, letting people know this is a no hate/gay friendly area. It's quite nice too, very hip, lots of young progressives, bloggers, ppl with cute little dogs, trendy restaurants, etc.
King of Prussia is suburban philly, so u would be fine there too. They have a killer mall there too. Like the king of prussia mall is enormous.

PA was a blue state last election as well. I think to be honest, people just dont care whether someone is LGBT?? was that the right term? i dunno. I'm not LGBT, but hey....u shouldnt have any problems at all

Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 PM

108 posts, read 254,953 times
Harrisburg just filed for bankruptcy and they are already talking about raising local taxes:

Quote:
They also said there should be a countywide sales tax of 1 percent to help pay off the debt. Schwartz, in the interview, said that could forestall asset sales.
So that rules Harrisburg out. I would also avoid areas that experienced flooding recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania